1:48 Special Hobby CAC CA-13 Boomerang

Member's Area Reader's Models
Photo's of Member's modelling projects and images of the completed articles

Re: 1:48 Special Hobby CAC CA-13 Boomerang

Postby Swede » Wed May 29, 2019 3:16 am

Thanks… Hopefully I'll buy an airbrush with air compressor towards the end of the Summer.

At first there will be a lot of test painting and so on before I want to use it on my Boomerang.

But the most important thing will be to get the entire camouflage on my Panther tank done. That is the hard and time consuming part.

Cheers, Morgan // Swede
Swede
Beginner

Postby Swede » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:29 am

So, I've finally restarted the 1/48 Boomerang thread, and that after six months.

I've decided to build this air plane module by module, and first off is the landing gear.

The hole, where the landing gear legs attach to the wheels, had to be enlarged using a 2 mm drill bit and after that they fit together perfectly. I also had to drill a small hole on the other side of the wheels in order to make the landing gear doors fit. It wasn't perfectly centred, but close enough.

I've also given the wheels a small treatment with the sanding paper to simulate the pressure on the tyres, caused by the weight of the aircraft. The angle should be correct judging by a reference photo of a CA-13 parked on the ground.

The landing gear should be glued together by tomorrow. After that the propeller assembly is the next planned module.

It is a slow start, but now finally the project has started to gain some momentum again.

Cheers, Morgan // Swede
Attachments
Boomerang 04.jpg
Boomerang 04.jpg (252.8 KiB) Viewed 627 times
Boomerang 05.jpg
Boomerang 05.jpg (112.36 KiB) Viewed 627 times
Swede
Beginner

Postby Swede » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:48 pm

As I was working with the liquid decal film in order to strengthen the decals, an accident occurred.

How do I solve this?

Do SH send replacement decal sheets to customers?

Or does anyone know which blue colour was used for the wartime RAAF roundel? The one on a reference picture seems to be not so dark blue as the ones on the decal sheet...

Cheers, Morgan // Swede
Attachments
Boomerang 06.jpg
Boomerang 06.jpg (162.83 KiB) Viewed 605 times
Swede
Beginner

Postby bell209 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:58 pm

What did you spill on it? It may come off
Rob

On the bench:
1/48 Westland Scout (converted from Fujimi Wasp)
1/48 Revell AH-1S Cobra (converting to AH-1P)
1/48 Airfix Hawker Hurricane Mk.I
bell209
Devotee

Postby RayS » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:58 pm

I don't think the decal accident is fixable, plenty on the forum build 1/48 WWII RAAF, I am sure someone would have a suitable replacement spare in there decal stash.

I can't help you Morgan, I am a mainly 1/72 builder! :-)
Ray
Bench stuff:
...lots
RayS
Devotee

Postby Swede » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:04 am

It was an accident where I touched the decal sheet when the liquid decal film wasn't completely dry. First time that I was using this liquid.

But now the decals have received two layers and should be strong enough not to break apart when the build reaches the point that I'm going to use them. It worked fine with the decals for the propeller blades.

If bad comes to worse, I also have the masking tape, including the ones for the RAAF roundel.

Cheers, Morgan // Swede
Swede
Beginner

Postby Swede » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:50 pm

The propeller is done and all the parts for the landing gear as well. The tyres will get some more paint job to them, after that it will just be a matter of assembling all the parts.

Next I will tackle the cockpit and get that very important part of the build done. And I know now that it will take a lot of time to finish.

Unfortunately it looks as if I will spend this weekend trying to recover from head ache and a very stubborn cold, that has been bothering me for several weeks now. But hopefully I will spend tonight and Monday night with at least starting and preparing for the cockpit assembly.

Cheers, Morgan // Swede
Attachments
Boomerang 07.jpg
Boomerang 07.jpg (76.12 KiB) Viewed 497 times
Swede
Beginner

Postby Swede » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:35 pm

Just a thought that caught my attention as I was working on my Boomerang in the hobby room is to let it be a CA-19 tactical recognisance version instead. At first glance the only differences seem to be the serial number (A46-201 and higher) and the glass for the camera, which is there anyway.

Apart from that these photo recognisance aircraft seem to have carried the same armament as the fighter aircraft.

The only pictures that I can find of CA-19 planes seem to have been camouflaged in just green. Were these also camouflaged in brown, green and light grey?

Were there any other difference than that?

Cheers, Morgan // Swede
Swede
Beginner

Postby Swede » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:18 pm

The Autumn and Winter is very dark and depressing up here. It is pitch dark when you get up in the morning to go drive to work and it starts to get dark when you come home in the afternoon. So My progress on this project has only been very limited. Also there has been a rather long waiting time for the Nato Brown and Royal Light Grey Tamiya spray cans from the local hobby store, which as caused another "delay" in the planning.

But now I've finally spray painted the entire camouflage and plan on applying some of the decals in the next step, maybe even all of them.

I still don't feel like re-starting the work on the cockpit area. So many small details...

But the pilot's personal markings have been selected and actually come from a 1/72 scale P-47 Thunderbolt kit. It turned out that they had just the right size and colour for this 1/48 aircraft.

Cheers, Morgan // Swede
Attachments
Boomerang 08.jpg
Boomerang 08.jpg (90.99 KiB) Viewed 60 times
Boomerang 09.jpg
Boomerang 09.jpg (143.49 KiB) Viewed 60 times
Swede
Beginner

Postby RAAFBrat » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:16 pm

Looking nice. My Winter here in Canberra is the same. It's dark when I go to work & twilight when I come home.
RAAFBrat
Devotee

PreviousNext