1:16 Tamiya Panther G (Late) project

Member's Area Reader's Models
Photo's of Member's modelling projects and images of the completed articles

1:16 Tamiya Panther G (Late) project

Postby Swede » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:17 pm

This is an rc tank, that I've had at home for just over two years now and haven't done anything with...up until now. I made a short test run this morning in the hobby room and to my great joy it still runs! So that's one problem less to solve. I bought it second hand so some items, including the instruction manual (that I now have as a pdf-file), weren't provided during the purchase.

Right now circumstances in my life make it impossible to concentrate on my 1:48 Boomerang build, so instead I'm going to try to finally finish this long running project, that has been idle for way too long.

I have both metal and plastic tracks for this Panther G late model tank and made the choice to first and foremost use the metal ones. As I was fitting the tracks, I ran into a small problem. During production, they had forgotten to drill the hole through one of the two spare tracks all the way. So I had to use my finger drill and solve that problem.

After that, after fitting the idlers, road wheels and drive sprockets, I also noticed that the drive sprockets don't fit in the holes in the metal tracks the way that they should (see picture no. 7). During the test run this morning I also noticed that the left idler isn't turning, a problem that could be because the tension on the left track is just a tad too high.

Two parts from the original Tamiya kit that I'm going to replace with after market parts are the exhaust pipes and the towing plate. Apart from that I intend to use and paint all of the parts provided by Tamiya. I also need to buy after market towing cables and am also going to replace the antenna base with a new one.

In other words, this will be an going project, that will run for a few months! :)

The road wheels were missing some of their rubber rings and two years ago I found out that the reason for that was that the person who had assembled the tank from the very beginning had mixed them up. There are two types of rubber rings for the Panther's road wheels, and I had to buy these all over again. And while I was doing that, I also decided to give the road wheels, idlers and drive sprockets a fresh coat of Dunkelgelb (dark yellow) the base colour of all German' vehicles from February 1943 and onward.

These will retain this colour, as they will be all dirty and muddy anyway when I finally will use the Panther tank in its right element: In the mud and rough terrain. The side skirts and upper hull however will get a classic camouflage consisting of Dunkelgelb, Dunkelgrün (dark green) and Rotbraun (red brown) with contrasting dots (see picture no. 1).

I still haven't decided on a tactical number and tactical markings, and these things will be solved as the build is making progress.

This will be a long running project and take some time to finish, but after that my Panther will finally be the way I want it to be.

There will be updates as the build is making progress.

Cheers, Morgan // Swede
Attachments
RC Panther 01.jpg
RC Panther 01.jpg (169.18 KiB) Viewed 750 times
RC Panther 02.jpg
RC Panther 02.jpg (116.87 KiB) Viewed 750 times
RC Panther 03.jpg
RC Panther 03.jpg (115.21 KiB) Viewed 750 times
RC Panther 04.jpg
RC Panther 04.jpg (150.5 KiB) Viewed 750 times
RC Panther 05.jpg
RC Panther 05.jpg (197.99 KiB) Viewed 750 times
RC Panther 06.jpg
RC Panther 06.jpg (165.4 KiB) Viewed 750 times
RC Panther 07.jpg
RC Panther 07.jpg (148.67 KiB) Viewed 750 times
Swede
Beginner

Re: 1:16 Tamiya Panther G (Late) project

Postby hughb » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:53 pm

Looks great. That metal barrel must be huge!
hughb
Beginner

Postby Swede » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:10 pm

Thanks Hugh, there is still a lot of work to be done.

Some effects, that I'm gonna try do copy from the real thing. These photos are of the Panther tank and Jagdpanther tank destroyer exhibited in Munster, Germany, where I was three years ago.

Should you ever get a chance to visit this tank museum, than take it! It is a pure heaven for tank enthusiasts! :)

The most difficult thing to simulate will be the dark mirror effect of the periscopes as seen from the outside (see pic nr. 10).

I'm thinking of either mixing silver with gloss black or some greyish colour, because just using gloss black just won't look realistic enough.

Hopefully things will move forward with the build this weekend.

Cheers, Morgan // Swede
Attachments
RC Panther 08.JPG
RC Panther 08.JPG (210.65 KiB) Viewed 714 times
RC Panther 09.JPG
RC Panther 09.JPG (209.94 KiB) Viewed 714 times
RC Panther 10.JPG
RC Panther 10.JPG (239.2 KiB) Viewed 714 times
Swede
Beginner

Postby hughb » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:37 pm

Maybe use Tamiya Smoke for the periscope glass. It's a translucent black colour. On your big scale tank it will be worthwhile making the effort on them.
hughb
Beginner

Postby TiG » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:14 pm

What a beast! That's going to require a serious display cabinet :D
On the bench: 1:48 Hobby Boss Mig 17 Fresco C

"Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends."
John 15:13
TiG
Devotee

Postby Swede » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:15 am

The periscopes are in place and I've also done some work on the air inlets and air outlets for the engine. As I was planning the work with the periscopes, I realised that I had to complete the entire camouflage on these particular places first, before they were glued in position. Otherwise the entire hard work to finish them would have been in vane.

This type of camouflage, called “Licht- und Schattentarnung” (light and shadow camouflage) by the Germans, will eventually cover pretty much the entire tank and take some time to complete. The last time I did this type of camouflage pattern on a 1:16 scale tank it took me some 8 hours to complete it, including 2 hours just for the dots in contrasting colour. So I estimate that this phase of the build alone will take me about a whopping 10 hours in total!

But it will be worth it, since it simply looks good just the way it is.

One thing that I realised need replacement by a after market part is the roof mounted grenade launching system (see pic no. 11). This has to be cut out and ordered at a later date.

I'm also very pleased with the periscopes and above all with the periscope glass. It looks almost like the real thing from the Munster tank museum (see pics no. 13 and 15).

As for a display cabinet I've already got one. I had it made about four years ago and it is manufactured from pure glass. It is very heavy, about 15 to 20 kilos, and was originally intended for the 1:16 scale RC Tiger II, that I then had in my possession and sold two years ago. After that I decided make a 1:32 scale air plane diorama out of it, and when that didn't work out, a smaller 1:72 scale diorama.

It is now intended for my RC Panther tank.

Now I'm going to take a break from this project during the Easter holiday and just let the ideas come to me. I will be nice with four days off from work.

But it feels like I'm first and foremost going to finish the AP round impact marks in the frontal armour plate and after that complete the rest of the light and shadow camouflage pattern.

Cheers, Morgan // Swede
Attachments
RC Panther 11.jpg
RC Panther 11.jpg (147.6 KiB) Viewed 638 times
RC Panther 12.jpg
RC Panther 12.jpg (158.03 KiB) Viewed 638 times
RC Panther 13.jpg
RC Panther 13.jpg (90.11 KiB) Viewed 638 times
RC Panther 14.jpg
RC Panther 14.jpg (150.16 KiB) Viewed 638 times
RC Panther 15.JPG
RC Panther 15.JPG (223.17 KiB) Viewed 638 times
Swede
Beginner

Postby Swede » Sat May 18, 2019 12:16 am

Progress at last, the turret is finally painted and sealed with matt clear coating. This type of camouflage takes some time to finish, but the end result is just astonishing. The decals are from the 1/16 scale Trumpeter King Tiger Porsche turret kit and are at least five years old. The amazing thing is that they still worked without any problems what so ever.

I'm still considering adding some kill markings on the main gun barrel, but am also hesitating, since I haven't seen many Panther pictures with kill rings painted on by the crew. Also, a long row of white rings really destroys any camouflage value that the green and brown paint gives the tank, so maybe I'll paint them in black instead.

I also still haven't decided on a specific tank division, so this will have to be a later question, when the build finally is approaching the end phase.

Hopefully I will have completed the rest of the camouflage pattern within two or three months or so.

Cheers, Morgan // Swede
Attachments
RC Panther 16.jpg
RC Panther 16.jpg (130.33 KiB) Viewed 441 times
RC Panther 17.jpg
RC Panther 17.jpg (128.5 KiB) Viewed 441 times
RC Panther 18.jpg
RC Panther 18.jpg (126.62 KiB) Viewed 441 times
Swede
Beginner

Postby Swede » Fri May 31, 2019 7:02 am

Finally! The entire camouflage, except for the side skirts, that so far only have received a base coat, is finished.

This time I used Micro Set and Micro Sol on the two decals on the rear storage boxes, and these fluids really made a big difference. You can hardly tell that the German' cross is a decal. I also made up a divisional symbol for the tank by tilting a yellow zero on its side.

The side skirts are attached to the hull using magnets and pieces of metal from a discarded can. The inside of them will receive a coat of dark yellow and the outside the same camouflage pattern as the rest of the tank.

I also have to brush the matt clear coating onto the hull and let it dry, giving the decals some protection.

After that it is time to tackle the tools, spare track links and side skirts.

The details for the rear of the Panther tank - the exhaust pipes and the towing plate - will be ordered during the Autumn, together with some other details for the turret. These will be added and painted afterwards.

I'm planning to use this forced break from the Panther tank to start with the CA-13 Boomerang again.

Cheers, Morgan // Swede
Attachments
RC Panther 19.jpg
RC Panther 19.jpg (132.18 KiB) Viewed 353 times
RC Panther 20.jpg
RC Panther 20.jpg (132.18 KiB) Viewed 353 times
RC Panther 21.jpg
RC Panther 21.jpg (134.46 KiB) Viewed 353 times
RC Panther 22.jpg
RC Panther 22.jpg (122.86 KiB) Viewed 353 times
RC Panther 23.jpg
RC Panther 23.jpg (124.84 KiB) Viewed 353 times
Swede
Beginner

Postby Swede » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:26 am

Only the tools, the exhaust pipes and the turret details left to go...plus a small adjustment of the magnets when I have the time.

But the most important change was the addition a shelf over the plastic modelling table. Now my colours, about 140 of them, are not in the way any more and I finally have the necessary space to build my models. It sure is a big change to the positive.

I also created a storage for the jerrycan and the bucket on the rear storage space of the tank.

The 1/16 scale in the turret is a figure from the German' company Bruder, that manufactures toys in the same scale.

Hopefully it will be completely finished by the end of this Summer.

Cheers, Morgan // Swede
Attachments
RC Panther 24.jpg
RC Panther 24.jpg (174.42 KiB) Viewed 275 times
RC Panther 25.jpg
RC Panther 25.jpg (137.01 KiB) Viewed 275 times
RC Panther 26.jpg
RC Panther 26.jpg (146.73 KiB) Viewed 275 times
RC Panther 27.jpg
RC Panther 27.jpg (153.68 KiB) Viewed 275 times
Swede
Beginner

Postby bell209 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:34 pm

Looking good, Swede!
Rob

On the bench:
1/48 Westland Scout (converted from Fujimi Wasp)
1/48 Revell AH-1S Cobra (converting to AH-1P)
1/48 ESCI Cessna 172P
1/48 Trumpeter Chengdu J-7G
bell209
Devotee

Next