Photo's of Member's modelling projects and images of the completed articles

Re: 1/48 Special Hobby Firefly Mk 1

Postby RAAFBrat » Sat May 04, 2019 9:00 pm

That's looking really good :).
RAAFBrat
Devotee

Postby Calum » Sun May 05, 2019 9:36 am

Rabbit Leader wrote:Looking fantastic (as always) Calum. Thanks for the paint numbers, I wouldn't have thought that XF22 would be a good basis for Dark Slate Grey, however this Firefly most certainly disproves that.

Cheers.. Dave

Thanks Dave.

As for Dark Slate grey, it' seems to be a colour that hasn't, until recently, been done by many paint manufacturers . Humbrol does it (224) but I refer Lacquers or Acrylics. Mr Paint does it as well but I didn't want to do a BNA order just for that (and Mr Paint is expensive). Vallejo model air do it but it's a water based product and I don't like those. Both Humbrol and Mr Paint are a darker shade of green than XF22.

I saw XF 22 mentioned online in a few places both straight from the bottle and as a base for a mix. I had a bottle on the shelf and after a test spray I was happy enough with it straight from the bottle. IMHO its close enough to the RN FAA Museums Firefly painted as MK 1.

http://www.gengriz.co.uk/RNPropsweb/wpi ... _05_06.jpg

I really don't obsess over paint colours these days as long as it looks close enough I'll be happy. Weathering always changes the colours anyway. :D
Calum
Devotee

Postby rodenlee » Sun May 05, 2019 10:03 am

Hi Calum
She's certainly looking the goods. Would you mind explaining what you mean by "RB productions Splatter Airbrush Stencil and a piece of ripped Scotchbrite to messy up the surfaces" please. Not sure what it means...but it sure looks good!

Cheers
Shaun
rodenlee
Devotee

Postby Rabbit Leader » Sun May 05, 2019 1:37 pm

Appreciate the reply Calum.. cheers mate!
Rabbit Leader
Devotee

Postby Calum » Mon May 06, 2019 1:04 pm

rodenlee wrote:Hi Calum
She's certainly looking the goods. Would you mind explaining what you mean by "RB productions Splatter Airbrush Stencil and a piece of ripped Scotchbrite to messy up the surfaces" please. Not sure what it means...but it sure looks good!

Cheers
Shaun

Shaun this is the RB productions airbush splatter stencil (size 70 x 47 mm.)

Like any stencil you stick it between the paint and what you are painting . I use lacquers mainly so they dry to the touch within minutes so it doesn't matter if the stencil touches the model.

As for the scotchbrite, I just ripped a piece of it up and spray mist coats of different colours thought the raggedy bits . If you want harder bits you put it on the model, if you soft marks lift ti up a bit. .

For both of these methods I've found using higher contrast colours in the splatter coats works best. Then when you're happy mist a coat of the base colour over everything to tie it all together
Calum
Devotee

Postby rodenlee » Tue May 07, 2019 8:16 pm

Beauty
Thanks Calum
Cheers
Shaun
rodenlee
Devotee

Postby Calum » Fri May 10, 2019 6:44 pm

Decals on and Flat coated..

Decals were from the kit except for the fuselage roundels (these had a weird bit of printing on the yellow ring) .

Apart from that, the kit decals performed really well conforming to the detail with an application of Micro Sol.

Flat coat was SMS

Calum
Devotee

Postby RAAFBrat » Sun May 12, 2019 3:58 pm

Very nice. I like. :)
RAAFBrat
Devotee

Postby Calum » Sat May 25, 2019 8:20 am

I always hate having to permanently affix the clear parts prior to painting - something always gets in there. And this was no exception.

The left had side of the front cockpit has a weird smear on the inside that wasn't there when I glued it in, and one of the clear sections on the Right side of the rear canopy also has a mark on the inside. There is no way I was going to get the clear parts off without ruining the paint work.

A couple of things went through my mind at this stage, I did consider "Anders-ing it" (binning it ) but as I'm really happy with the weathering and the paintwork in general I have decided to just move on and accept it.

I used a few of the new AK weathering pencils for weathering. I've been using coloured pencils for weathering for ages but figured I've give these a go to see if they any different.

To be honest they aren't any different from the pencils I've been using (they are reasonably good quality ones) but if you don't have a pencils set the AK ones aren't ridiculously priced so are probably worth the outlay.

Calum
Devotee

Postby RAAFBrat » Sat May 25, 2019 8:14 pm

That looks great. How or where do you use the pencils? Not run across them yet. With the transparencies, I try to not put them on at all until last. I prefer to fill the cavities up with damp tissue & paint the canopies separately.
RAAFBrat
Devotee

PreviousNext