Blame the wife - Memphis Belle

Member's Area Reader's Models
Photo's of Member's modelling projects and images of the completed articles

Re: Blame the wife - Memphis Belle

Postby thommo » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:18 pm

More progress today. Some details added to the nose firewall & I cut out the two windows on top of the nose as these are only provided as silver decals in the kit - which would look rubbish.

The other two small windows on top of the nose ARE provided as transparencies (one to fill that big circular hole, but you only mask the small rectangle window part of it and paint the rest). However their position is a bit off I think (too far forward), which means the position of the two I cut are also a bit off if you want to keep their relative positions more or less accurate. But unless you also want to move the position of the two windows that ARE provided, you just have to live with it.

I'll either cut clear plastic to fit the new window holes, or use my clear glue/window maker stuff.

thommo
Beginner

Postby thommo » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:25 pm

More internals done. Some rough video.

https://youtu.be/Y7j3diI42eU

The problem with this section that other build threads note also occurs on mine - lots of filling/building up to do

thommo
Beginner

Postby thommo » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:28 pm

Trying to make the waist gunner ammo boxes & bullet belts look less like a kids slippery dip

thommo
Beginner

Postby pacificmustang » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:50 pm

That's looking good

Bruce
On the Bench
Tanmodel 1/48 RF-84F Thunderflash

DISCLAIMER : My signature may, or may not bear any relationship whatsoever to what is actually on my bench

https://www.facebook.com/BrucesScaleModels
http://www.brucesscalemodels.com
pacificmustang
Devotee

Postby thommo » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:39 pm

More of the internals painted and installed.

thommo
Beginner

Postby RAAFBrat » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:20 pm

That's looking really good.
RAAFBrat
Devotee

Postby thommo » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:10 am

RAAFBrat wrote:That's looking really good.

Thanks mate.

Have got the ball turret done now (minus the gun barrels which will go on last). I bought the Eduard Mask set for this Revell kit from the UK and it is a Godsend for all the tricky masking that needs to be done on the kit transparencies. I also added a little extra framing on the turret sides from thin strips of alum can, and cut my own masks for a few more clear sections. The fit of the two transparency halves of the ball is pretty bad, esp on the sides (though they thankfully are mostly covered by the ball pivot points). I needed to putty & sand the entire join. The ammo belts also will need to be pulled down to meet the top of the ball, though if you do this & glue them on, it will not swivel up & down so I'll leave it as is.

I added a little bullet detail to the ammo belts, but you won't see anything other than the bottom 3/4 of the ball once it is installed.

Some interior green drybushing was added to the ball because if you look at the ball on the real Belle before restoration, the undercoat of green shows through worn sections of the light grey.

thommo
Beginner

Postby thommo » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:32 am

Tail gunners position done. For anyone who builds this kit, there is no way the tail gun breaches will fit in without doing some surgery on Part 162. This part is simply too wide in the middle, so you have to narrow the middle down as shown below so the breaches can fit around it. You could leave the gun breaches out altogether as they will never be seen, only the barrels are visible once it is closed up, but I wanted those bloody breaches in there!

Strangely, you actually get detailed ammo belts for the tail gun with individual shells molded, unlike all the other gun positions where I had to carve the detail myself.

Also, the colour call outs for many of the internals seem off compared to photos of the real thing, in particular most ammo boxes were wood, not aluminium as called for in the destructions. Floor colour calls are also suspect so I changed them.

Getting close to closing the fuselage up now.

thommo
Beginner

Postby bell209 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:37 pm

Nice work so far
Rob

On the bench:
1/48 Westland Scout (converted from Fujimi Wasp)
1/48 Revell AH-1S Cobra (converting to AH-1P)
1/48 ESCI Cessna 172P
1/48 Trumpeter Chengdu J-7G
bell209
Devotee

Postby thommo » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:59 pm

The kit supplied tail gunner canopy is a complete joke - thick, cloudy, chunks all through it, a complete cluster-fork - which is strange because all the other transparencies are fair to excellent.

I just couldn't live with it, so used it as a template to vacuform a thinner clearer one using clear packaging plastic heated over a candle, then wrapped over the kit canopy. After 7 attempts I got something reasonable & added a little alum can framing for strength. Hopefully the Eduard masks can be used on this new piece to fair effect.

thommo
Beginner

PreviousNext