Ronin: Royal Australia Navy Grumman S-2E/G Tracker Decals

Member's Area Reviews Air related reviews
An area for reviews of all item specifically air related.

Ronin: Royal Australia Navy Grumman S-2E/G Tracker Decals

Postby DesTROYer » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:15 pm

I've been waiting for this set from Ronin Graphics Australia now for over 4 months. When they finally arrived this week I knew I had to start applying them to the Tracker this weekend. Here's my review.
https://www.roningraphicsaustralia.com/shop?olsPage=products/148-ran-816-817-sqn-s-2eg-tracker-history-decals&olsFocus=false

The decals come on two and a half sheets of individually cut decals, and include numbers and serials for all RAN Trackers. 14 Schemes are depicted with Ronins usual double sided A4 printed colour instructions.

The decal sheets themselves are pretty good. The decals are individually cut out, and the colour registry is spot on. A full set of stencil is included, though the detail on many of the small ones is reduced to dots an dashes. On a few of the very tiny decals, there is so little to print that the ink has failed to print dark enough to be of any use. this includes the no step decals along the trailing edge of the wings and elevators, of which I only ended up applying 4 of, as it really wasn't worth the effort as they are barely seen. The decal sheets are crowded too. A little to crowded. Get your sharpest scalpel out and steady your hand, as there is barely enough room to hold the cut out decal with tweezers on some of the tiny ones. It comes with two sets of four different sized Roundels, which I found confusing as the instructions do not state what size goes on where. I ended up going with the smaller four for the wings, and two of the larger ones for the sides.

As I mentioned earlier, the set comes with a complete set of serial numbers and codes for all of the different RAN Trackers. While I appreciate the effort and the ease it makes of getting your numbers lined up, (you even get spares of the three digit codes), I could not help but think was it really necessary with the 3 and 2 digit codes. A couple of sets of numbers would have worked just as well, cutting and applying the numbers as required to suit your bird. This would have allowed more space for the other crowded stencils. It's not like you will be able to decal more than one Tracker from the set. Still I was more than happy to use them as supplied.

The decals go down real nice and are very thin. They're thick enough to handle some moving about, but settle down nicely and cleanly.

Conclusions: This long awaited (by me) set was worth the wait. The instructions are pretty good though are incomplete in some regards like the roundel sizes and stencil orientation at times. The profile outlines on the side on views for the stencils is a little light on too. If they were a little bit darker, placement of some decals would be more clear. Great colours, clean registration on the multi colour decals and nice and thin film which slides off the backing paper easily enough and can handle bit of play to get located right. If you're going to build a RAN Tracker, this is the set to buy. Get them now, as once the next set sell out, thats all folks.

Maker: Ronin Graphics Australia.
Scale: 1/48
Price: $30.00 AUD
Contents and Media: 2 and a 1/3 x sheet of decals and double sided A4 instruction sheets
Advantages: Nicely printed, complete subject stencils, nice thin film.
Disadvantages: Stencil decals tightly packed and some of the decal placement locations could be a little clearer.
Recommendation: Highly Recommended.

Reviewed set purchased by me.
DesTROYer
Devotee

Re: Ronin: Royal Australia Navy Grumman S-2E/G Tracker Decal

Postby saxon » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:26 pm

Thanks for the review. I take it that Trackers only operated in the grey over white scheme? No special or experimental schemes? Just curious and figured someone on here might know. I have Googled but didn't come up with anything.
saxon
Devotee

Postby RayS » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:49 am

saxon wrote:Thanks for the review. I take it that Trackers only operated in the grey over white scheme? No special or experimental schemes? Just curious and figured someone on here might know. I have Googled but didn't come up with anything.

Thanks Troy, nice review and job on getting the Tracker finished.

Saxon, yes they only operated in the grey-white scheme.
Ray
Bench stuff:
...lots
RayS
Devotee

Postby DesTROYer » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:33 am

Thanks, gang. Yes, she came out great in the end.
DesTROYer
Devotee

Postby saxon » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:29 am

Thanks Ray S.

And it looks great Destroyer.
saxon
Devotee

Postby saxon » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:29 am

Thanks Ray S.

And it looks great Destroyer.