RAAF 1/72 Anigrand C-17A Globemaster III

Member's Area Reader's Models
Photo's of Member's modelling projects and images of the completed articles

RAAF 1/72 Anigrand C-17A Globemaster III

Postby RayS » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:37 pm

I know I have a thread somewhere on AMI with this build but I am buggered if I can find it!

There is a thread over on Britmodeller if you have some time for a recap...

So after seeing a couple of builds on Britmodeller by Tom P's great (Combat 1/72 vacform C-17) and Rhino's (1/72 C-5 Combat and Anigrand) I have finally pulled my C-17 out and done a little more work to it

Along with tinkering in the back end...

...I decided to see how to tackle the engines and pylons.

After an afternoon in the garage I have had some success. I glued one nacelle together and attacked the sides with files and sand paper to flatten them.

Picture is not that good but shows a slight shape change from the unaltered nacelle. I found after flattening the sides not as much work will be required with the lower lip.

I have added some putty to the inner intake lips to thicken them up after removing about 2mm of resin from each side.

I then turned to the engine pylons.

Anigrand supplies different shaped pylons for inboard and outboard. After looking at the Revell 1/144 kit it seems the inboard and outboard pylons should be identical.

The top pylon is an unmodified Inboard pylon, the hatched areas are to be removed to correct the shape.

The middle pylon is the unmodified outboard item and finally the lower is the modified lower pylon. As you can see I added material to the top as it is fairly flat on the actual aircraft and not sloped as Anigrand portrays it. I also extended it aft as it was too short.

So the engine intake needs cleaning up and some more shaping and the other 3 pylons need modification.

While I am at that I will tinker with other areas such as the rear cargo hold

..and figure out how the cockpit windscreen and roof will be rectified.

That is all for now
Last edited by RayS on Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ray
Bench stuff:
...lots
RayS
Devotee

Re: RAAF 1/72 Anigrand C-17A Globemaster III

Postby woodziee » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:48 pm

Wow, nice work so far.
Cheers,
Matt.
woodziee
Devotee

Postby RayS » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:24 pm

Thanks Matt :)

Well back to the nose section, I have used an upsized scan of some decals for the Revell 1/144 kit as a template for the windscreen panels. I transferred them to tape and then to a CD case.

The outlines were then scored with a hobby knife and removed from the surrounding plastic

Then test fitting and slight reworking of the cockpit area to get the bits to fit.

Finally I took part of the kit cockpit roof to fit back over the panel parts. All test fitting at this time.

Finally a comparison of the modified cockpit/forward fuselage shape compared to what the unmodified kit clear parts are like.

So it looks like I have overcome the dodgy windscreen shape of the kit.
Ray
Bench stuff:
...lots
RayS
Devotee

Postby woodziee » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:31 pm

Wow, that is some major surgery. Nicely done.
Cheers,
Matt.
woodziee
Devotee

Postby DesTROYer » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:31 pm

Damn, thats some nice work. Great scratch building. Impressive, most impressive.
DesTROYer
Devotee

Postby AndrewDoppel » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:17 am

I'm enjoying watching you do this Ray, saying to myself constantly that it's better you doing it than me. I do look forward to seeing it completed......and you know that one day, soon after you've finished it, someone will release an injected molded version that's correct in all shapes.
Regards
Andrew Doppel

AMI Moderator
AndrewDoppel
Devotee

Postby RayS » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:08 pm

Windscreen pillars are in. Time for some adjusting

Panels are in loose and I may make up another set that will be a snug fit...
Ray
Bench stuff:
...lots
RayS
Devotee

Postby Antoney Wilkinson » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:58 pm

Wow...! That is some major surgery Ray but what a positive change to the look of that beasty. When you compare the original in the photo immediately below of the real thing, they weren't even close, but your corrections are. Nice work!

Going to be worth the effort once all done. Cheers and keep it coming,

AGW..
Antoney Wilkinson
Devotee

Postby qfa_tsv » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:57 am

Ray, I can only say you have a lot more patience than me, with the problems on that kit it is more a scratcbuilding effort.
I really commend your efforts to get it finished, let's hope 2015 will be the year.

I found your inbox review from way back in Feb 2007 on the old forum, care to comment if you still feel the say way :D

Boy what a big model.

From a quick inspection, the mouldings are very nice, clear resin for the transperencies

The fuselage is in 4 parts with thick formers inside for structural integrity. The wing to fuse joint looks nice and tight with locating pins moulded onto the wings.

Looks like it will go together with a minimum of fuss out of the box.

Gears struts are white metal and I have noticed that the opening in the fuselage above the sponsons are not there which makes me think the struts are a tad short as they are suppose to poke out while the aircraft has its gear down.

Instructions are very basic with only diagrams for the cockpit, landing gear and few other structual areas.

Decals are also basic with no servicing markings or walkways, the aircraft depicted is USAF aircaft based at McCord AFB

Ray
Missed it by that much!....
Graeme
qfa_tsv
Devotee

Postby RayS » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:25 am

qfa_tsv wrote:Ray, I can only say you have a lot more patience than me, with the problems on that kit it is more a scratcbuilding effort.
I really commend your efforts to get it finished, let's hope 2015 will be the year.

I found your inbox review from way back in Feb 2007 on the old forum, care to comment if you still feel the say way :D

Boy what a big model.

From a quick inspection, the mouldings are very nice, clear resin for the transperencies

The fuselage is in 4 parts with thick formers inside for structural integrity. The wing to fuse joint looks nice and tight with locating pins moulded onto the wings.

Looks like it will go together with a minimum of fuss out of the box.

Gears struts are white metal and I have noticed that the opening in the fuselage above the sponsons are not there which makes me think the struts are a tad short as they are suppose to poke out while the aircraft has its gear down.

Instructions are very basic with only diagrams for the cockpit, landing gear and few other structural areas.

Decals are also basic with no servicing markings or walkways, the aircraft depicted is USAF aircraft based at McCord AFB

Ray
Missed it by that much!....

Ha ha ha! Boy I put my foot in mouth there big time! Just goes to show that these initial first looks are sometimes crap!

I suppose it did not help that I wanted to open it up, building it closed up would have caused less hassles.
Ray
Bench stuff:
...lots
RayS
Devotee

Next