Re: RAAF special occasion Mirage buggy

Postby qfa_tsv » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:04 am

Love it
Graeme
qfa_tsv
Devotee

Postby ericg » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:36 am

Thanks for the comments guys, appreciated.

Onto some more modelling. The figure of Sean was next up. I have never really done a figure before and have always wanted to learn. A few books and a tutorial from my good mate Simmo saw me through. I did scrub the paint off and start again 5 times before I was happy enough with this result. The macro photography, strong light and magnification on the screen are not particularly flattering, but he looks really good at normal viewing distance.

I then finished the master of the trailer. The chassis parts were completed, using Meng bolts to add detail to the rails.

I made one leaf spring suspension assembly, using thin strips of plastic card and aluminium foil.

All of the trailers master components together.

I spent some time boxing up all of the components ready to mould them using Pinkysil. Visible is my vacuum chamber which I use to de-gas the silicone.

I haven't done many two part moulds before , so I felt the trailer deck was going to be a great way to expand my skills in that area.

Ready to pour the first half. I have formed the pour hole and air hole from modelling clay. The pour hole is the conical shape and is designed to act as a reservoir for resin that will allow for it to fill the mould once the air bubbles are shrunk in the pressure pot.

The second half, once the modelling clay that formed the base of the first half has been stripped away. I have used a very thin coat of petroleum jelly on the pink silicone to allow the second half not to stick to it.

The first resin pour of the trailer deck.

All of the components of the trailer in resin.

The assembled resin trailer. Tricky little thing that has been the most time consuming part of the build! The Ubolts and other fitting were made from brass rod.

I used some Uschi plywood decal for the trailer deck. (Thanks Simmo!)

ericg
Devotee

Postby bell209 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:36 pm

I seem to remember the tops were metal? Maybe they were resurfaced?
Rob

On the bench:
1/48 Westland Scout (converted from Fujimi Wasp)
1/48 Revell AH-1S Cobra (converting to AH-1P)
1/48 Airfix Hawker Hurricane Mk.I
bell209
Devotee

Postby Aardvark » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:41 pm

All the ones we have at Amberley are plywood, one has a aluminium checker plate over the top.

Looks like some different ones, with and without park brakes.
Aardvark
Devotee

Postby bell209 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:30 pm

Aardvark wrote:All the ones we have at Amberley are plywood, one has a aluminium checker plate over the top.

That's probably what I remember!
Rob

On the bench:
1/48 Westland Scout (converted from Fujimi Wasp)
1/48 Revell AH-1S Cobra (converting to AH-1P)
1/48 Airfix Hawker Hurricane Mk.I
bell209
Devotee

Postby ericg » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:09 pm

Thanks guys.

bell209 wrote:I seem to remember the tops were metal? Maybe they were resurfaced?

What Aardvark said.

Some more work.

I finished the tractor, weathering it a bit more than I would like, but it has added a lot of character to the scene. I also scratch built the searchlight on the bonnet.

One of the challenging aspects of this build has been getting the straps securing the buggy to the trailer right. I scratch built the hook and ratchet assembly from plastic card.

As I needed a couple of these, I copied them in resin.

A thin strip of Tamiya tape makes up the strap.

A test fit of the strap.

I painted one and rolled it up

In the photo of Sean, it looks as if there is something in the stowage basket on the rear of the tug, whilst I can’t prove what was in there, I thought the rolled up strap might look pretty good, as if it has been chucked in there in case the buggy started to fall off.

I glossed up the buggy in preparation for the decals, using simply THE BEST clear gloss I have ever used.

ericg
Devotee

Postby woodziee » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:20 am

Love your work Eric. Look forward to the finished product.
woodziee
Devotee

Postby ericg » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:06 pm

Cheers Woodzie.

The trailer was next to be finished.

I added some extra detail to it, which I was almost about to leave off. This particular trailer has a handbrake system fitted which is visible under the deck between the front and rear wheels in the picture of Sean posted earlier. There is a small hand brake lever under the front of the trailer, connected to two wires that run to disk brakes on the rear axle. If it hadn't been for Max's excellent photos, I would have had no idea how this was all supposed to look!

I added a number plate which is also visible in the reference pic. I have a special no. picked out for it which will be placed there once I get the decals made up.

This was a tough little bugger to make but certainly worth it in the end.

The status as it sits now. I am waiting on the decals, and just need to do the straps and it will be done!

ericg
Devotee

Postby RayS » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:56 am

Wow, this takes me back Eric. The detail is excellent.

You would usually final a spare earthing lead and/or a set of chocks in the Clarktor basket most days.
Ray
Bench stuff:
...lots
RayS
Devotee

Postby TonyR » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:54 am

Awesome work
TonyR
Beginner

PreviousNext