1/72 Eduard Lavoshkin La-7

Member's Area Reader's Models
Photo's of Member's modelling projects and images of the completed articles

1/72 Eduard Lavoshkin La-7

Postby Swede » Sat May 11, 2019 2:20 pm

The Lavoshkin La-7 was the succeeder of the successful La-5 fighter plane and entered service in June 1944. In May 1945 only 115 La-7's had been lost during the countless air combats against the Luftwaffe, and the fighter aircraft remained in Soviet' service until 1947, when it finally was replaced by more modern aircraft. It was the very last combined wooden and metal construction by the Lavoshkin aircraft construction company.

The La-7 was by the pilots said to be at least equal to any German' fighter plane in service and it was very well liked. It retained the fast climb capabilities from the La-5, which eliminated the only advantage that the Bf 109 had over the Soviet' fighter aircraft, its fast rate of climb, and also improved on the predecessors manoeuvrability.

Just like all the other Soviet' fighter aircraft during the second world war, it was lightly armed compared to the fighter planes of the USAAF and RAF. In the Soviet' Air Force all armament in the wings was either removed or simply non-existing, and only the nose of the fighter aircraft contained machine guns or cannons. Their philosophy was that the pilot's own shooting skills would bring victory during air combat, thus eliminating the complexity with a certain point in front of the aircraft, where the projectiles would converge for maximal damage on the target.

The La-7 was either armed with two 20 mm cannons, 200 rounds per gun, or three of the same, 100 rounds per gun, and I've chosen to replicate an aircraft with the later armament. It was more interesting that way.

This is Eduards 1/72 kit, and I must say that it surprised me in a very positive way. The decals were very easy to work with and much easier than the other decals that I've experienced when it came to adjusting them into the final position. Also Eduard had added some extra decals of the small stencils, apparently since these are the easiest to loose when applying them. It was also very interesting to see all of the Russian writing.

I chose to give my La-7 the tactical number 41 simply because I finished the aircraft shortly after I had turned 41. The kill markings, ten small red stars on the pilots left hand side, are leftover decals from a previous 1/32 Revell Bf 109G-6 build. Unfortunately these were a tad too thick and left a small trace of silvering behind, despite the previous use of gloss clear coating.

This aircraft belongs to the successful 9th Guard Fighter Regiment, also known as the “Ace maker”, since a lot of pilots in this unit shot down five or more German' air planes.

Unfortunately my large and clumsy fingers ruined the superb seatbelt, supplied by Eduard. That is the reason that I covered up part of the cockpit with some painted cigarette paper. It's a shame really, because this small detail would have made the La-7 look a lot better.

The very typical Soviet style deep blue colour on the underside of the aircraft was difficult to achieve, and it took me five or six attempts to get the exact mixture right. The upper surface is painted with two shades of grey that I had available in my hobby room and that matched the colours in the instruction manual.

This was my very first build of a Soviet' aircraft and it was very fun to build it. I hope you like my Red Air Force air plane.

Cheers, Morgan // Swede
Attachments
La-7 4.jpg
La-7 4.jpg (98.19 KiB) Viewed 250 times
La-7 5.jpg
La-7 5.jpg (88.51 KiB) Viewed 250 times
Swede
Beginner

Re: 1/72 Eduard Lavoshkin La-7

Postby qfa_tsv » Sat May 11, 2019 5:43 pm

Nice job on a very significant aircraft
Graeme
qfa_tsv
Devotee

Postby saxon » Sat May 11, 2019 9:14 pm

Nice build.
saxon
Devotee

Postby saxon » Sat May 11, 2019 9:14 pm

Nice build.
saxon
Devotee

Postby bell209 » Sun May 12, 2019 10:06 am

Lovely work
Rob

On the bench:
1/48 Westland Scout (converted from Fujimi Wasp)
1/48 Revell AH-1S Cobra (converting to AH-1P)
1/48 ESCI Cessna 172P
1/48 Trumpeter Chengdu J-7G
bell209
Devotee

Postby RAAFBrat » Sun May 12, 2019 3:57 pm

Nice job. For future reference Tamiya XF-23 Light Blue is pretty close.
RAAFBrat
Devotee

Postby Swede » Tue May 14, 2019 3:44 am

Well, the XF-23 looks like my blue Bf 109 to the left (behind the Spitfire in my 1/72 aircraft collection), where as my one off special “Soviet' Skyblue” looks like this in daylight conditions. Compared to the picture of the preserved Yak-9 from the Yak-9 Wikipedia page, it is a very close match.

I wanted to use XF-23 first, only to find that it matches the Luftwaffe blue-grey colour, which I'm going to use for an upcoming Ju 87 Stuka project in the same small scale. My second last 1/72 project before I start building in the 1/48 scale only (except for the odd 1/32 air plane build!).

Cheers, Morgan // Swede
Swede
Beginner