1/72 Revell P-26 Peashooter

Member's Area Reader's Models
Photo's of Member's modelling projects and images of the completed articles

1/72 Revell P-26 Peashooter

Postby Swede » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:16 am

This is a plane that I built early 2018. It is very small, it only measures about 11 centimetres between the wing tips, and this fact makes it even more incredible that I managed to attach all of the cables that the original plane had.

Even when I look at it today, I still can't understand that I managed to do it. The guy that I bought it from gave the kit to me, simply because he didn't want to have the work with all the rigging. I only had to pay for the postage and packing.

Nationalist China bought 12 of these planes from Boeing, if my memory is correct, and even thought most were completely repainted in green, some examples kept the original gray colour from the time that they were delivered to China.

Of cause, these planes didn't stand much chance against the Japanese aircraft, in particular the A6M "Zero", but they still managed to shoot down some Japanese planes, mostly bombers. It is not known exactly how many Japanese planes that were downed before the last Type 281, as the export version was designated, was destroyed, but I gave it four victory flags placed behind the cockpit.

That is where I would have painted them, had I been a pilot in one of these aircraft.

The mould is from the 1970's or thereabout, and you can see this in the cockpit area. It is lacking every single sign of details, such as control stick etcetera. Therefore I decided to cover it up using some painted cigarette paper.

No, I'm not a smoker, but bought some cigarette paper anyway. I still have some 95 left in the small package.

I hope you like my effort to replicate a Chinese Peashooter fighter plane.

Cheers, Morgan // Swede
Attachments
Peashooter 1.jpg
Peashooter 1.jpg (97.37 KiB) Viewed 672 times
Peashooter 2.jpg
Peashooter 2.jpg (88.63 KiB) Viewed 672 times
Swede
Beginner

Re: 1/72 Revell P-26 Peashooter

Postby bell209 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:15 pm

That's a nice change from the usual USAAC bare metal versions - nice work!
Rob

On the bench:
1/48 Westland Scout (converted from Fujimi Wasp)
1/48 Revell AH-1S Cobra (converting to AH-1P)
1/48 Airfix Hawker Hurricane Mk.I
bell209
Devotee

Postby hughb » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:29 pm

Well done. As Rob mentioned, nice to see a different scheme. That rigging is well done for such a small scale, it must have been infuriating!

Having a tarp over the cockpit is an innovative idea to fix the cockpit issue. Perhaps you should make a small diorama/vignette to set the plane into, maybe with several mechanics standing around the plane, therefore having some reason for the cockpit being covered over as if they're about to begin doing some maintenance.
hughb
Devotee

Postby Swede » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:05 pm

Thanks alot Rob and Hugh! :-)

It took me between 25 and 30 hours, closer to 30 than 25, to finish this little bugger, 6 hours just to finish the rigging. And yes, it was frustrating.

I don't think I'm going to make a diorama out of any of my 1/72 models, nine already finished and two in planning, but I'm planning some smaller dioramas around three 1/48 builds that I've got planned. During Easter I spent some time planning all of my projects, and I've got enough projects at home to keep me busy for the next seven years.

So no rush on my side.

Cheers, Morgan // Swede
Swede
Beginner

Postby surfsup » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:04 pm

I like it very much. Certainly from left field and very well done.....Cheers mark
If I was your Wife I would poison your Tea
If I was your Husband I would drink it

Winston Churchill
surfsup
Devotee

Postby saxon » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:21 pm

Looks good. This is the very first kit I ever tried to build as a kid. I still have a couple in the stash now. I would still avoid the rigging due to being all thumbs!
saxon
Devotee