1/72 Finnish Air Force Hawk 75A-4

Member's Area Reader's Models
Photo's of Member's modelling projects and images of the completed articles

1/72 Finnish Air Force Hawk 75A-4

Postby Swede » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:31 am

This is an aircraft that I built some time last year. It is a 1970's Revell kit, with uncensored Finnish Air Force wartime national markings. Nowadays they are hard to find, and I found this kit by chance while taking part in a hobby fair in Gothenburg.

I just had to have it!

The kit itself was as expected: The parts fitted together pretty good and the wheel bay and cockpit areas didn't have a very high level of detail, except for the control stick and pilot's seat. There was also a pilot figure provided by Revell, which was unusual and very nice, but I decided not to use it.

Since Revell is a German company, they normally don't supply swastikas with their kits (that symbol is banned in Germany, for obvious reasons), and all the instructions and box art text was in Finnish, so clearly this kit was intended for the plastic modelling market in Finland.

The build was really straight forward and easy. The green colour on the upper surface was a 50/50 mixture of Dark Green and yellow, if I my memory is correct. The instructions however were not correct when it came to the lower surface colour. I've seen colour pictures of Finnish wartime Hawk 75 fighter planes, and it should have been the very same bluegrey used by the Luftwaffe. I've had some thoughts of repainting this area of the aircraft, but have come to the conclusion that it doesn't really matter.

The tactical number, White 6, come from the 1/72 Marivox Saab B17 kit and the kill markings on the tail fin from the 1/32 Revell Bf 109G-6 kit. Bugs Bunny came from the 1/72 Revell P-47M kit and the eyes in the nose of the aircraft from some decals, that were given to me.

I also built an exterior gun sight using pieces of steel thread.

Apart from that it was a straight forward out of the box build.

Anyway it was very fun to build and apart from two upcoming 1/72 projects, I don't intend to continue with this scale any more. Instead I'm going to continue with 1/48 and 1/32 on the aircraft side of this hobby.

I hope that you like my small Finnish fighter plane.

Cheers, Morgan // Swede
Swede
Beginner