If I was your Wife I would poison your Tea
If I was your Husband I would drink it

Winston Churchill
surfsup
Devotee

Re: 1:16 Tamiya Panther G (Late) project

Postby Swede » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:16 pm

So finally progress!

The turret details are in place, as well as the tools and some details on the main gun shield.

The exhaust pipes are ordered and paid for, but it will still take a few weeks for the parts to arrive from Germany, since I've also ordered two plastic modelling kits as well.

It is much cheaper in Germany. For example the 1/32 scale Revell Bf 109G-6 only costs 21,5 Euros there compared to about 43 Euros here in Sweden! This price difference alone means that the freight, which has cost me 22 Euros, practically was for free.

The upper side of the turret has received three chemical warfare indicator plates and a twelve o'clock marker for the tank commander. The right side of the main gun shield has received two IR lamp brackets.

I've also painted 19 kill markings in black on the main gun barrel.

When the exhaust pipes are in place I'm going to take a drive to the forest and take some final pictures of my Panther tank there.

At the moment I'm not sure if I'm going to buy any tow lines at all. It is not necessary as far as I see it.

More pictures to come in a months time or so!

Cheers, Morgan // Swede outwards
Attachments
RC Panther 28.jpg
RC Panther 28.jpg (214.45 KiB) Viewed 2014 times
RC Panther 29.jpg
RC Panther 29.jpg (205.44 KiB) Viewed 2014 times
RC Panther 30.jpg
RC Panther 30.jpg (156.05 KiB) Viewed 2014 times
RC Panther 31.jpg
RC Panther 31.jpg (125.43 KiB) Viewed 2014 times
RC Panther 32.jpg
RC Panther 32.jpg (127 KiB) Viewed 2014 times
EVEN EXPERTS HAVE BEEN BEGINNERS
Swede
Devotee

Postby Swede » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:41 am

So, finally the very last parts needed for the build are there!

The hobby store, where I ordered them, ran into a small problem with a supplier, that sent them the wrong parts (the exhaust pipe covers without the "bends"). And three months delivery time means that it has taken some time for the parts to arrive. But yesterday the correct parts finally arrived!

Why the bends, and why the the covers for the exhaust pipes?

The Germans found out that the exhaust pipes of the Panther tank got very hot and started glowing during night time operations, which meant that the Soviets only had to aim between the two glowing pipes. And the result was yet another destroyed Panther tank.

So they started to cover the exhaust pipes with a device, that used the cold air from the ground to cool down the otherwise glowing hot metal pipes and also spread out the smoke, which made the Panther tank much less visible night time. But it could still be revealed by the black smoke rising into the air, and that's why the "bend" was invented.

The "bend" redirected the smoke downwards, and this finally made the Panther tank close to totally invisible in total darkness.

I will hopefully start the work on these parts during this weekend, and it shouldn't take that long.

Cheers, Morgan // Swede
Attachments
RC Panther 33.jpg
RC Panther 33.jpg (80.22 KiB) Viewed 1569 times
Swede
Devotee

Postby _BlackHawk_ » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:52 pm

Vroomvroom....nice.
Blackhawk's quote of the week:
"No Fear, No Hesitation, No Surprise, No Doubt. -Musashi"
_BlackHawk_
Devotee

Postby TiG » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:57 pm

What a beast! Great work so far.
On the bench: 1:35 Maschinen Krieger diorama

"Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends."
John 15:13
TiG
Devotee

Postby Swede » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:38 am

Vroom vroom… ;) .

Right now the Spring is approaching, but it is still cold, wet and windy, and sometimes it is even snowing.

I'm happy with the way that the tank looks at the moment. Tow cables can always be added later on, it is not that important.

The next step before I will photograph the tank in its right element - in the field - will be to correct the side skirts. Hopefully these pictures will come within two months, it all depends on the weather and how much energy I have left after work.

From now on priority number one will be to finally finish my Boomerang build, it has been going on way too long. I just want to have it over with and done!

Just a comment:

The exhaust armour at the rear of the tank is of the welded type, since this apparently was becoming more and more common late during WW2, especially in 1945.

Cheers, Morgan // Swede
Attachments
RC Panther 34.jpg
RC Panther 34.jpg (164.98 KiB) Viewed 1379 times
Swede
Devotee

Postby rowdy75 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:01 am

Looks great
rowdy75
Devotee