1/32 Italeri F-35

Member's Area Reader's Models
Photo's of Member's modelling projects and images of the completed articles

1/32 Italeri F-35

Postby ericg » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:45 pm

I have a few on the go at the moment and am using this model as a break from my primary model that I am working on, the Boomerang. With the Australian International air show about to start, it will provide me with many photos of our new F-35’s in action. So I will put those into good use here. I started this model when it first came out and quickly put it aside when I realised that there was a bit of work to be done on the exhaust, as it was way too small fitted to the fuselage. After a bit of a think, Here is how I fixed it.

Here is the exhaust how Italeri intended, like throwing a sausage roll down a hallway.

I decided to fix this two ways. Firstly, I cut a line in between every second exhaust petal, about halfway down the front (where it meets the fuselage) of the part. I then forced lengths of plastic card into the lines, spreading the front of the exhaust apart. This increased the diameter of the exhaust by approx 2 mm but kept the exit of the exhaust the same. There is still a bit of sanding and tidying up to do here but you can see the white plastic card to give you an idea of how I have executed this.

Next, I removed a wedge shaped piece from the rear of the fuselage where the exhaust fits into. I removed the centre point and half of each point next to it. Terminating the wedge close to the front of that part.

I glued and clamped the part together, shrinking it. I made up a new point with some plastic card.

The lost raised detail was masked and built up again using spray primer.

fixed! Compared to the first pic, this area is way better.

ericg
Devotee

Re: 1/32 Italeri F-35

Postby MichaelDrover » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:15 am

Nice solution Eric. Looks heaps better.

MD
MichaelDrover
Devotee

Postby surfsup » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:20 pm

Very nice fix Eric.....Cheers Mark
If I was your Wife I would poison your Tea
If I was your Husband I would drink it

Winston Churchill
surfsup
Devotee

Postby ericg » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:28 pm

Cheers guys.

The nose cone is quite a nice fit, which is a change for Italeri considering the rather poor effort on their Mirage kits.

Close scrutiny of walk around pics reveals that there is no panel line all the way around the nose. There is a panel on the top and bottom though but the rest is the raised areas as per most of the kit. I masked and sprayed the area with spray primer, leaving the panel lines on top depict the panel.

Blended in.

I noticed a small raised panel aft of the APU exhaust which I thought may be good to incorporate.

Here is the bare area of the kit.

I cut a small square of plastic card in the rough size required

cut to the shape required and glued in place.

ericg
Devotee

Postby ericg » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:35 pm

I plan to paint this model in the newer all over grey scheme with Three Squadron markings. It will make for a reasonably boring jet as I don’t plan on having anything hanging off it yet in the way of ordnance. My good mate Peter sent me some excellent clear photos that he took of an F-35 parked at the Australian International Airshow held recently. This jet had really cool exhaust and intake bungs installed with colourful 3 SQN logos painted on them and they will add a great splash of colour to the jet. Now, I dont usually like putting these things on my models as any good jet modeller will go the hard yards to sort out intakes and exhausts which are usually amongst the hardest part of a jet model. I reckon it is a way of chickening out of that part of the build but in this case I will make an exception.

Here are the pics (with permission from Peter, thanks mate!)

I am am not aware of the existence of the bungs in this scale so have set about creating my own. Due to my experience gained with the nose art on my Boomerang build, I will be creating spray masks for the logos painted on them.

I cut out a circle of thick plastic card that fit into the exhaust pipe.

A suitable quantity of Tamiya epoxy putty was mixed to form the area which I would be sculpting

The putty was stuck to the plastic circle and shaped to fit it, then smoothed over with Mr thinner painted on with a brush. Not sure why the scissors are making an appearance here.

I used various tools to sculpt the ripples in the surface of the bung and scribed a line around its edge as per the pics.

Primed, smoothed, primed again......

Should look great painted. I will add the pull handles after this process.

ericg
Devotee

Postby ericg » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:56 pm

Some more work on the FOD cover. Due to the complexity of the mask that I will make for spraying the 3 SQN logo, I wanted to have a few covers ready to practice in case I stuff it up. The cover is quite simple and lent itself well to being copied using a simple Pinkysil mould. No degassing or pressurisation here. Just make up a box around the part, mix your 2 part silicone in equal parts by weight and slowly pour it over the part. As can be seen, there are a few bubbles that have risen to the surface of the mould but as long as they are there and not around the part, then there won’t be any problems.

The first cast in resin inserted into the exhaust. I have made a few copies for later use. The handles will go on once I have painted the logo.

I am reasonably happy! Everything looks a lot better in resin.

ericg
Devotee

Postby Bandit » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:31 pm

Hi Eric,
I'm interested to see how you tackle the paint job on this one. I've got the 1/48 Meng kit ready to go. My research has led me to the conclusion that there is no definitive answer as to what colour grey these things are. Although I've seen it stated as Camo Grey or Gunship Grey with "Have Glass", I see most are experimenting with various greys with added silver or silver in the clear coat.
I'm about to experiment with a mix of grey and gunmetal to see what happens...
Not on the actual kit of course.
Like I said, I'm interested to see what you come up with.
Cheers,
Adam
Bandit
Devotee

Postby ericg » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:26 pm

Cheers Adam. Will be experimenting with it soon.

More on the exhaust bung later.

The kit features some interesting engineering from Italeri, pretty standard stuff from them considering their previous Mirage kits. Rather than consign the kit shelf of doom as being ‘unbuildable’, I like to use these things to challenge myself to come up with interesting ways to fix them.

The bottom of the wing features some geometric shapes, I guess these are covering the hard points. Italeri placed the large one right next to the join, making the wig join hard to fix. If the kit was more precise, it would be too much of a problem but it is a little poor in this area and needs some work even if the shape wasnt there in there in the first place. There is also a small shape that should be inboard of the larger shape which has been missed. Here is the bottom of the wing with the larger shape removed, and the join has been filled and smoothed. I have marked with a pencil where the old shape was.

Here is a screenshot of a high res photo of the area concerned (thanks Mark) imported to Sillhouette studio with the shapes that I wanted to cut traced in red.

Some .2mm plastic card was used In my cutter to form the new shapes. I didn’t cut all the way through, rather snapping these shapes out.

Applied to the model with Tamiya extra fine.

Primed.

ericg
Devotee

Postby TiG » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:54 am

Sweet job! Looking forward to seeing this one progress.
On the bench: 1:48 Hobby Boss Mig 17 Fresco C

"Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends."
John 15:13
TiG
Devotee

Postby ericg » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:23 pm

I have completed preliminary design work of the logo on the exhaust FOD cover. Using studio software I traced each component of the logo individually based upon colour and then modified each part to suit the way that I felt the machine would cut it best.

Here is the enlarged design with all the elements together.

I then shrank the design to size the diameter of the outer circle to 17mm. Each part was separated again and placed into its own mask area ready to try and paint this. The design is pushing the machine to its limits, and these elements will need some tweaking to ensure that it sprays well. Hopefully it works! My idea will be to spray the yellow and cream of the circle and shield, black outline of the design, yellow cross with its dark yellow outline, outer yellow 3, blue wings and inner 3, yellow outline of the eagle wings and head and and then finally the white Southern Cross stars.

ericg
Devotee

Next