DesTROYers 1/32 Italeri Mirage III O - 3 Squadron

Member's Area Reader's Models
Photo's of Member's modelling projects and images of the completed articles

DesTROYers 1/32 Italeri Mirage III O - 3 Squadron

Postby DesTROYer » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:06 pm

After a month of being distracted by a now Ex-girlfriend, I finally stopped feeling sorry for myself (mostly), stopped procrastinating on what I was going to build next and got started on my next 1/32 Jet build. Italeri's Mirage III E/R with mods to make it a III O.

I'm still working out which changes I'll need to make to the base model to do the conversion, and Eric's build thread on LSP will be of great assistance there, but If anyone else has any pointers, I'd appreciate the help. The first thing I knew I'd need to fix was the wiring and hose work in front of the IP. To my eye the IP looks close enough for me, but behind it, the kit detail was way too light. A few hours of work while looking at reference photos from multiple sources, and I came up with this.

When the glue had hardened, I cleaned up the excess CA glue and put down a coat of black primer to see how it all looked.

Not too bad and will look pretty great when all painted up and fitted behind the windscreen I think.
As I said the IP looks pretty good as per the photos in Darren Mottram and Paul Masons Mirage III O book, but it will decently benefit from some detail painting and dial decals.

Then I started assembling and priming the rest of the cockpit interior. I need to source a new seat as the kits seems to be a mix and match of types. Any recommendations?

Thats all for today. I'm going to be doing the "On the Bench" podcast Tuesday night and need to do a bit of research on the topic for the night. Back into it tomorrow.
DesTROYer
Devotee

Re: DesTROYers 1/32 Italeri Mirage III O - 3 Squadron

Postby TiG » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:36 pm

That's looking fantastic Troy! I remember trying to accurately represent all those wires forward of the cockpit on a 1:48 III0 I built a few years back. Will be keeping an eye on this build for sure!
Great job again with the recent On The Bench podcast. I thoroughly enjoyed finding out more about real space models, and looking forward to an upcoming episode on Aussie armour.
Cheers!
On the bench: 1:48 Hobby Boss Mig 17 Fresco C

"Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends."
John 15:13
TiG
Devotee

Postby AndrewDoppel » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:24 pm

Good start Troy but don't be too reliant on just Eric's build. ;) ;)

You may want to find mine (A3-10) as well and use both as I found some things Eric didn't do on his. :roll: :lol:

For a start both sides of the IP should have a shroud over it not just one. I suggest using some aluminium from a coke can as it is thin and flexible and easy to cut to shape. Although my real IP is from a twin seater I can give you the exact colours for some of the gauges and warning lights. The gun sight is a different shade too.....a bit lighter from memory.

AMS resin make a really nice 1/32 seat but it also depends on whether you're doing a jet with a Mk.4 or Mk.6 seat. Try eBay here.

You will also need to add some missing panel lines from below and dependant on the wing type of the aircraft used and time period you are doing add panels to the upper wing and fill others.

When adding the nose you will get a huge step if you put it on as described. Personally, I recommend you rotate it 180 degrees re-notch and then fit.....it'll still have a step but not as bad.

This kit is not as easy as you may think and has it's problems but I'll give you advice one stage at a time if you like. You have my mobile too.
Regards
Andrew Doppel

AMI Moderator
AndrewDoppel
Devotee

Postby DesTROYer » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:59 pm

Thanks Andrew.
DesTROYer
Devotee