1:48 Special Hobby CAC CA-13 Boomerang

Member's Area Reader's Models
Photo's of Member's modelling projects and images of the completed articles

1:48 Special Hobby CAC CA-13 Boomerang

Postby Swede » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:37 am

So, today the stuff that I ordered for my 1:48 SH Boomerang finally arrived.

Apart from the kit itself, I've also received masking tape for the canopy and the decal film fluid (many thanks, Robert!). I also have a photo etch set at home, a set that by mistake had been packed with the already finished SH 1:72 kit.

At the moment I'm working on another project, a 1:16 scale figure, and the planned start of this build is the 23rd of March. My goal is to have this Boomerang finished on the 23rd of August, just in time to take part in a plastic modelling contest announced by a German plastic modelling Magazine.

The remaining five weeks leave me with more time to plan the build, which I'm very glad about. I hate to rush things.

During this weekend I'll probably post some pics of the kit, which looks very good.

These Eastern European plastic modelling kit manufacturers are really good, and the established firms, such as Revell, really should learn from them.

Cheers, Morgan // Swede
Swede
Beginner

Re: 1:48 Special Hobby CAC CA-13 Boomerang

Postby Swede » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:23 am

I managed to buy the limited edition kit, which contains lots of extras, including improved wheels. The kit itself looks very nice, and I'm not gonna post any pictures of contents, since you probably already know it.

Apart from the decal sheet delivered with the kit, I also intend to use parts of a decal sheet, that was left over from two never built 1:72 scale P-47-kits. One was from Academy and one from Revell. If all goes according to plan I will name the plane "Devastating Deb" and use a wasp armed with a revolver and a club as nose art, thus adding my own touch to this kit. Should the wasp decal not be up to the job, I plan to use the same ship decal as with the smaller plane.

As I wrote, first and foremost I intend to build this plane for a plastic modelling Contest announced by a German plastic modelling Magazine, deadline the 5th of September this year. If that fails, my goal will be to create a plastic model for plastic modelling Contests next year and onward. In other words, no stress on my part.

As with the last Boomerang build, I will use NATO Green, NATO Brown and the same light greyish tone as before.

Just an open question: I guess that the inside of the canopy is also painted with Interior Green, the same colour that is used for the rest of the cockpit?

Any tips and advice regarding this particular kit will be appreciated, since I assume that many of you in this forum already have experience of the SH 1:48 kit.

The next update in this thread will most likely happen in April or so. I don't want to rush this build. The kit and parts for it were too expensive for that.

Cheers, Morgan // Swede
Attachments
Boomerang 01.jpg
Boomerang 01.jpg (138.85 KiB) Viewed 1478 times
Boomerang 02.jpg
Boomerang 02.jpg (142.35 KiB) Viewed 1478 times
Boomerang 03.jpg
Boomerang 03.jpg (131.76 KiB) Viewed 1478 times
Swede
Beginner

Postby hughb » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:49 pm

Looking forward to it. I have this kit in the stash, looks to be quite detailed and fiddly.
hughb
Devotee

Postby surfsup » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:40 pm

Watching this one with interest.....Cheers mark
If I was your Wife I would poison your Tea
If I was your Husband I would drink it

Winston Churchill
surfsup
Devotee

Postby Kahunaminor » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:38 am

Morgan,
They are a really good build but will require some patience. I built the CA-12 a couple of years back. I will find a link to it and add it here. Not saying it is definitive but I was pleased with the result and hopefully you will get some ideas, particularly the pitfalls and errors.

Here is the link: http://www.aussiemodeller.com.au/forum/ ... +Boomerang

Regards,
Kent
Kent in Oz
Bench: 1/48 Eduard Bf 109E-7, Libya, 1941; 1/32 Tamiya Spitfire Mk XVIe
Completed: 1/48 SH CAC CA12 Boomerang; 1/32 Eduard Bf109E-4; 1/48 Eduard Spitfire Mk IXc;1/32 Hasegawa Bf109G-6;1/48 Eduard Fw190A-8.
Kahunaminor
Devotee

Postby Swede » Fri May 24, 2019 1:17 am

I'm just gonna try to keep the thread going.

I've realized that I'm going to need an airbrush in order to finish the build with a result suitable for a plastic modelling exhibition, so that will be on my purchase list during this Autumn, together with the rest of the stuff needed to finish my large scale Panther tank, which has to be completely done before the CA-13 build is restarted again.

@Kahunaminor: I've been reading your CA-12 build thread with great interest. It has been very useful reading!

Cheers, Morgan // Swede
Swede
Beginner

Postby Zaggy » Sat May 25, 2019 11:54 pm

Special Hobby actually do really good stuff - even the 're-pops' they do (such as the Eduard Fw 190A-6) typically are packaged in such a way to give you something different... the aforementioned Fw 190A-6/R2 'Early Strumbirds' kit comes with PE for the armour, clear resin armour for the canopy, etc, and models one of the sub variants that Eduard do NOT do (the do the A-8/R2 with the extra armour).

The Spitfire Mk Vc RAAF is really cool (though there are some concerns over the colour of some markings)

The T-2C Buckeye is a tougher than average build for SH, but like almost all SH kits, comes with extras so much so that you dont really need to go buy aftermarket (even decals, as the kit comes with the VF-43 markings I wanted).

And despite not owning one (yet) the SAAB Viggen (which is the Tarangus plastic) looks awesome - I REALLY want one, and am quite happy to see them re-releasing it late last year... Just need to track one down!

D
Zaggy
Devotee

Postby Swede » Sun May 26, 2019 2:00 am

The only real problem with SH is their water slides, which are really bad and fragile. But this time I'm "armed" with the decal fluid, that was recommended to me, together with Micro Set and Micro Sol.

This is a Little bit off topic, but during my military service twenty years ago, I actually experienced a AJS Viggen flying right above me at about 50 metres altitude. This was when squadron number two made the transition to the JAS 39 Gripen and landed after their very last sortie. Eleven planes took off and ten landed, the eleventh passing right over us before also landing.

The chock wave tossed me backwards about one metre!

Maybe I have a couple pictures of green camouflaged AJS Viggen stored somewhere, If that would be of help to you. Just send me a PM.

Cheers, Morgan // Swede
Swede
Beginner

Postby Zaggy » Tue May 28, 2019 12:57 am

That's cool Swede :) - If I track down a Viggen kit, I'll shoot you a message.

D
Zaggy
Devotee

Postby TiG » Tue May 28, 2019 6:32 pm

This looks like it will make a great project. Looking forward to seeing how you progress with it!
On the bench: 1:48 Hobby Boss Mig 17 Fresco C

"Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends."
John 15:13
TiG
Devotee

Next