Postby TonyR » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:43 am

Great build
Cheers Tony
TonyR
Beginner

Re: Blame the wife - Memphis Belle

Postby jvenables » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:25 pm

thommo wrote:
Bandit wrote:Your wife suggested you should build a model?

And she loves the movie Memphis Belle?

Where did you find such a woman? Are there any left?

No, I got the last one :D

Dammit - I was going to ask if she has a sister! My missus has never grasped the concept of model making being a creative, relaxing or fulfilling outlet for my spare time. She sees it as a waste of time and effort, since (in her mind) it generates no income nor provides any direct benefit to her or the family. I do understand this however, as existence here in Laos is pretty basic - the main objectives in life are to provide a roof over the family's heads and food on the table. Most folk just don't have spare time and the concept of having a hobby is thoroughly alien to most!

I always liked the movie too. I remember upon its release that it copped a lot of flak for its lack of historically accuracy but since it was always meant to be cinematic entertainment rather than a documentary record, then I thought it hit the spot perfectly! If anything, I thought it portrayed the plight of young WW2 era airmen quite well: a bunch of kids drawn from different backgrounds with different goals and priorities in life, all thrown together into an aircrew and then, almost daily, face demands, dangers and challenges that few of us will ever truly appreciate.

Lovely work on the model. I have seen this kit available but never realised it was a boxing based on the "new" Revell B-17. I had always assumed it was a repop of Revell's 1960's B-17F. Now I know...
jvenables
Devotee

Postby thommo » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:59 pm

jvenables wrote:
thommo wrote:
Bandit wrote:Your wife suggested you should build a model?

And she loves the movie Memphis Belle?

Where did you find such a woman? Are there any left?

No, I got the last one :D

Dammit - I was going to ask if she has a sister! My missus has never grasped the concept of model making being a creative, relaxing or fulfilling outlet for my spare time. She sees it as a waste of time and effort, since (in her mind) it generates no income nor provides any direct benefit to her or the family. I do understand this however, as existence here in Laos is pretty basic - the main objectives in life are to provide a roof over the family's heads and food on the table. Most folk just don't have spare time and the concept of having a hobby is thoroughly alien to most!

I always liked the movie too. I remember upon its release that it copped a lot of flak for its lack of historically accuracy but since it was always meant to be cinematic entertainment rather than a documentary record, then I thought it hit the spot perfectly! If anything, I thought it portrayed the plight of young WW2 era airmen quite well: a bunch of kids drawn from different backgrounds with different goals and priorities in life, all thrown together into an aircrew and then, almost daily, face demands, dangers and challenges that few of us will ever truly appreciate.

Lovely work on the model. I have seen this kit available but never realised it was a boxing based on the "new" Revell B-17. I had always assumed it was a repop of Revell's 1960's B-17F. Now I know...

Actually, she has 2 sisters and a brother, but I couldn't recommend any of them :D

My wife has no probs with my hobby at all, as I do it at the kitchen table while she watches Netflix. She knows I'm not good at just sitting still & doing nothing, so it is good for my mental health....even if it does invoke a lot of swearing when a tiny piece hits the carpet!

I also sit there and tie flies for fishing.....and go out bush fishing a lot.....and swim a lot....and cycle with her when my crap knees are up to it. Hobbies keep us both sane and take us on some great holidays (she always finds a running event somewhere to do, which we turn into a week long holiday....with fly-fishing :lol: ).

Beyond a certain point, earning more money is pointless. It's the holidays and our hobbies we'll remember, not a useless flash new car.
thommo
Devotee

Postby Clifton » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:36 am

What a beautiful model! Your scratch building skills are wonderful! I was curious--did the instructions on the model call for Bronze Green as the mottling color on the aircraft? I've always understood that they used Medium Green. Also, just heard about the crash of the Collings Foundation's B-17 the other day. What a terrible accident.
Clifton

Postby thommo » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:49 am

Clifton wrote:What a beautiful model! Your scratch building skills are wonderful! I was curious--did the instructions on the model call for Bronze Green as the mottling color on the aircraft? I've always understood that they used Medium Green. Also, just heard about the crash of the Collings Foundation's B-17 the other day. What a terrible accident.

Yes, bronze green in the Revell instructions. I made up my own mix, toned it down a bit to a more medium green colour.

Also saw the sad news about the B17 crash on TV.

The wife now wants me to build a bigger B17! Still waiting for display cabinets to come on sale again at Fantastic Furniture. My current build (Catalina) has nowhere to live till we get another cabinet.
thommo
Devotee

Previous