Blame the wife - Memphis Belle

Member's Area Reader's Models
Photo's of Member's modelling projects and images of the completed articles

Re: Blame the wife - Memphis Belle

Postby hughb » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:54 pm

Great work sculpting the peaked cap, looks fantastic, especially considering how small it is. Im a big fan of the Tamiya epoxy as well.
hughb
Devotee

Postby thommo » Thu May 02, 2019 3:03 pm

The push rods in the engine were way over-scale on the kit parts, so I replace them with thinner brass rod - all 72 of the buggers. Only took about 3hrs.

thommo
Devotee

Postby Viking » Thu May 02, 2019 5:58 pm

She's looking very good!

(And replacing 72 pushrods? You must be mad.... :shock: :lol: )
Viking
Devotee

Postby thommo » Sat May 04, 2019 8:45 pm

Got the exhausts painted, a multi-stage task using an idea I gleaned from a 1/32 scale build thread which is a bit trickier in 1/72 but worked out OK if you want highly weathered exhausts.

Fitting the engines on this model is a real challenge since the instructions are both vague and wrong, but more on that later.

thommo
Devotee

Postby thommo » Thu May 09, 2019 8:27 am

So to the engines. Much care and dry-fitting needed here or it will end in tears.

First at stages 60,61,62 be careful to install the exhaust rings (parts 148,149,150x2) in the correct orientation so that the gap in these rings lines up with the exhaust outlets which are fitted later.

Also, at step 54, I chose not to install those exhaust pipes yet as dry-fitting showed they could be installed later, hence painted and no need for masking.

I chose not to install the engines at steps 63 & 64, but rather go to steps 67-70 first, installing the cowl rings, as I'd read these were hard to install over the engines, and dry-fitting proved this to be correct. I opted for the open cowl rings.

And be very careful in fitting the two inboard engine cowl rings as they have subtle indents on the inside (parts 158,159) which go around the exhausts. I also found that parts 158 & 159 were reversed on the instructions (i.e. instructions show 159 going on the SB wing, but I found it went on the P wing & vice versa for 158). Again, dry-fitting and labelled everything to get it right before gluing - engines, cowl rings, exhausts, cowls. Similarly, you must get the right exhaust on the right engine for it to fit both within the exhaust ring and the cowl ring slots. The instructions are crap, so take your time, test fit, or read and weep!

Here are engines and cowl rings installed. The alignment of one of the outer engines is slightly out & for the life of me I don't know why because the fit with the exhaust rings are spot on.

Next - surgery on the undercarriage so it can be displayed wheels-up (which is not an option included in the kit)
thommo
Devotee

Postby thommo » Sun May 19, 2019 4:46 pm

Nose turret blanking panel repaired and loop radar installed. Kit placement of loop radar is entirely wrong - wrong side and too far forward hence relocated and epoxy used to make a new base for it.

Wings installed. Fit is pretty good but some putty will be needed.

thommo
Devotee

Postby thommo » Thu May 23, 2019 11:33 am

Puttied & primed, and more puttying/sanding needed. Wing dihedral seems to be good.

thommo
Devotee

Postby thommo » Sat May 25, 2019 6:54 pm

Pre-shading & mottled black-basing

thommo
Devotee

Postby RAAFBrat » Sat May 25, 2019 8:22 pm

Coming along very nicely. :)
RAAFBrat
Devotee

Postby thommo » Mon May 27, 2019 11:09 am

I'm going to airbrush the major markings on as my track record with decals is less than great, even though the few interior decals I've used already seem to behave quite well.

One other thing I've discovered. The Model Master spray can primer (fine) is significantly better than the Tamiya spray can primer (fine) that I've been using forever, which I did not think possible, but the MM stuff dries significantly smoother, though a little slower. Only downside is the can nozzle blocks a bit more than Tamiya (which never blocked), but is easily cleared with lacquer thinner on a stiff brush.

thommo
Devotee

PreviousNext