1:72 Special Hobby CAC CA-13 Boomerang

Member's Area Reader's Models
Photo's of Member's modelling projects and images of the completed articles

1:72 Special Hobby CAC CA-13 Boomerang

Postby Swede » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:21 am

So, my very first Boomerang build, and even though it didn´t go the way I wanted it to all the way I'm still pleased with the result.

My plan from the very beginning was to build a Boomerang belonging to No. 83 Squadron, code letters MH, but the decals proved to be very fragile. Therefor, in the middle of the build, when the fuselage already was painted, I had to settle for an Aircraft of No. 4 Squadron, code letters QE. Because of this, the colour of the propeller spinner isn´t correct and also not the colour of the rear of the Aircraft. They should both have been White.

I also had some problems fitting the cockpit, the upper fuselage and the lower part of the Aircraft together. Even though I used a lot of putty and spend a lot of time grinding to make it fit, the Aircraft still ended up being somewhat unsymmetrical.

It was a bit of a problem finding the right camouflage colours, but finally I settled for Tamiya Nato Green, Tamiya Nato Brown and XF-80.

Maybe you can help me in being the judges if these colours really were the right ones compared to the original Aircraft?

Three problem areas were the fitting of the propeller, the partly unclear instructions for the side panels inside the cockpit and finally the fact that parts of the landing gear were missing from the kit altogether! Normally these parts of the landing gear (see the pictures) are molded onto the landing gear legs, so why isn't that the case here?

Apart from these small problems the build went smoothly and I'm pleased with the result. It looks like a Boomerang fighter Aircraft, and that's the main thing.

I hope that I haven't included too many Pictures at once.

Please, if any of you have any ideas or suggestions on how to improve my "Boomerang skills" Before the upcoming 1:48 build, then say so. All comments are welcome!

This goes especially for the cockpit area, mainly the exact positioning of the side panels.

I hope that you like my very first CAC CA-13 Boomerang build! ;)

Cheers, Morgan // Swede
Attachments
Boomerang 08.jpg
Yes, I know...the kill markings are a big What If!
Boomerang 08.jpg (94.71 KiB) Viewed 699 times
Boomerang 09.jpg
Got all of the antennas done!
Boomerang 09.jpg (100.83 KiB) Viewed 699 times
Swede
Beginner

Re: 1:72 Special Hobby CAC CA-13 Boomerang

Postby bertielissie » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:12 am

You've managed to create a very fine looking Boomerang. Love your paint work and aerial rigging. Just goes to show that with perseverance a great model can be produced.
Osibisa "criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness"
bertielissie
Devotee

Postby surfsup » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:21 pm

She is looking very nice indeed.....Cheers Mark
If I was your Wife I would poison your Tea
If I was your Husband I would drink it

Winston Churchill
surfsup
Devotee

Postby bell209 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:34 pm

Looks good to me. The debate over RAAF WWII colours rages still! No-one seems to have a confirmed definitive version of the most popular colours, so whatever you decide is closest to your references is good enough.
Rob

On the bench:
1/48 Westland Scout (converted from Fujimi Wasp)
1/48 Revell AH-1S Cobra (converting to AH-1P)
1/48 Airfix Hawker Hurricane Mk.I
bell209
Devotee

Postby Swede » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:58 pm

Thank you very much!

As I wrote, the main problems were the decals and the instructions, that could have been a bit more clear and easy to understand.

But as luck would have it, I was armed with lots of very good reference Pictures, including ones of the landing gear.

I have ordered the 1:48 kit and my choice fell on the one from Special Hobby, but with the fragile decals in mind...plus the fact that the online store, from which I have bought plastic modelling kits Before, is very slow in ordering the items and responding to e-mails. I'm thinking about buying from the kit along with all the other things, including paint masks for the canopy, elsewhere.

I saw that there was one more 1:48 kit, one from Kiwi Wings out on the market. How does that kit compare to the one from Special Hobby?

Cheers, Morgan // Swede
Swede
Beginner