A Dove Perched on the Shelf of Doom

Member's Area Reader's Models
Photo's of Member's modelling projects and images of the completed articles

A Dove Perched on the Shelf of Doom

Postby wally » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:49 pm

One of my long term stalled projects that I am currently tackling is this Magna Models resin 1/48 Dove..hate the bloody thing, got the tail feathers on all nice and square, filling pinholes was a never ending task. I put the tail feathers on nice and square then..

any one see an itty bitty problem?

I picked "most correct" wing root location then cut out and sculpted the other one to match. I realised that this was not going to be a fine model (not that any of mine are really),and planned it to go on a stand, wheels-up..with the MacRobertson Miller Airlines VH-MMN "Nullagine" being the subject.

Well, I was not gonna let this bastard beat me, the bloody thing kept me away from the bench long enough! My missus has gone off to the UK for 2 months so, alone I manned up, entered the garage and faced the demon.

I sawed off the right wing root., built up and reshaped the fuselage bottom with apoxie sculpt. filled 268 x 10 cubed friggin pin holes sanded etc infinitum.

II took the port wing to be true and glued that on, then worked to attach the right wing symmetrical to the left, twice! I had to amputate my first effort and try again! now the dove almost square in every aspect... or more accurately it is slightly wonky in every aspect, one engine is slightly forward of the other one wing root is slightly different to the other, I primed to show the flaws and several pinholes appeared thankfully fewer than a thousand. I was gonna do it as an MMA Charter VH-MMN "Nullagine" but it just will not wear silver (that shows every flaw) well so I was undecided what to do with it.

I applied the silver paint today to see how it would come up... andI am beginning to think the Dove may be raising the white flag!

It won't be great but it wont be abominable either! Having abandoned the MMA subject, I picked a nice simple attractive scheme and designed the decals for it:

I am waiting for the Tamiya silver leaf to harden up then use the dremel polishing bit to variegate the silver finish. Then I will have to wipe down the silver residue, wash my hands hit it with "future" wash my hands again and then take the masking tape off then wash my hands again before touching the white undercoat on the fuselage top side, that silver residue leaves fingerprints like you wouldnt believe!
wally
Devotee

Re: A Dove Perched on the Shelf of Doom

Postby bell209 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:54 pm

Looking goood, Wal!
Rob

On the bench:
1/48 Westland Scout (converted from Fujimi Wasp)
1/48 Revell Tornado GR4 (from the IDS boxing)
1/48 ESCI Cessna 172P
1/48 Trumpeter Chengdu J-7G
bell209
Devotee

Postby wally » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:05 pm

hi rob thanks, played a bit more with the decals
wally
Devotee

Postby David E » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:38 am

Gutsy effort.

I converted an Airfix Heron to an RNZAF Devon about 30 years ago, I look at it every so often with thoughts of resurrecting it.
I'm not older than dirt, but I do remember when it was new.
David E
Devotee

Postby qfa_tsv » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:47 am

Coming along nicely Wal, like that colour scheme
Graeme
qfa_tsv
Devotee

Postby wally » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:48 pm

Spent as much time as I am going to on this. Push it to back of display shelf. I might cleanup the antenna fairing on cockpit roof one day
wally
Devotee

Postby bell209 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:16 pm

Very nice!
Rob

On the bench:
1/48 Westland Scout (converted from Fujimi Wasp)
1/48 Revell Tornado GR4 (from the IDS boxing)
1/48 ESCI Cessna 172P
1/48 Trumpeter Chengdu J-7G
bell209
Devotee