1/32 Iconicair Supermarine Attacker FINISHED.

Member's Area Reader's Models
Photo's of Member's modelling projects and images of the completed articles

Re: 1/32 Iconicair Supermarine Attacker.

Postby ericg » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:48 pm

Thanks a lot guys.

Another small update.

I have started to test fit everything to ensure that it all lines up and looks the part. I will start painting all of the pieces of the undercarriage, canopy and other parts now that I have the model mostly done to ensure that I put in an equal amount of effort and not just put these things onto the model at the end as an afterthought. I made up the deck landing sight on the nose from music wire and will electrify it with 240 volts to ensure that wayward fingers and camera straps at model shows are suitably rewarded with an unfavourable zap.

To add extra visual presence to the model I have also decided to fit rocket rails and practice concrete warhead RP-3’s, so the search for reference to these items has begun. Will detail my efforts in doing these parts soon.

The extra detailing that I put into the rim of the belly tank is quite visible in this photo and is well worth the effort.

ericg
Devotee

Postby ericg » Fri May 10, 2019 9:29 am

I detailed the ejection seat and primed it. For the belts, I used aluminium foil cut into strips with copper wire adjusters and plastic card buckles. I used a thick piece of copper wire with a thinner piece tightly wrapped around it for the oxygen hose.

primed

ericg
Devotee

Postby thommo » Mon May 13, 2019 12:45 pm

Excellent scratch-building!
thommo
Beginner

Postby ericg » Wed May 22, 2019 4:37 pm

Cheers Thommo

I painted the ejection seat. I used a very fine tipped Copic multiliner marker pen to draw in the stitching on the belts and the black lines in the ejection handles.

Next up was the rocket rails. I scratchbuilt one good one from plastic card and rod.

Fitted with a rocket for sizing. I have used the Aires RP-3 rockets with concrete warhead practice rounds.

i then made a copy of the stubs in resin

Which I multiplied by 6 pairs. I used plastic rod for the rail part.

Test fit.

My good mate Les was kind enough to make me up some 803 sqn crests for either side of the tail to match the ones on the real 109

I used the excellent Australian made gloss clear produced by SMS to clear coat the model before applying the stencil data. Highly recommend this stuff.

Getting closer to the finish line.

ericg
Devotee

Postby ericg » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:08 pm

In an effort to move this one on a bit, I pushed through and got it finished. Just in time for this weekends Model Expo in Melbourne. All in all, an enjoyable build of an interesting aircraft. 

My normal `just finished' photos. Studio photos to follow soon. I decided to leave the rockets off due to them being quite fragile and they didn't add anything to the look of the completed model.

It will live on my all resin jets shelf for the time being.

Thanks for following on!
ericg
Devotee

Re: 1/32 Iconicair Supermarine Attacker FINISHED.

Postby hughb » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:09 am

Your Attacker looks fantastic Eric, really well done.
hughb
Beginner

Postby Chris Becker » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:29 am

Looks great Eric - love that shelf (and the cabinet too)...
Chris Becker
Devotee

Postby enfield38 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:21 am

Another totally useless early British jet IMHO. Regardless, you've produced another masterpiece Eric. Will we see this at QMHE?
Cheers,
Rod C
enfield38
Devotee

Postby Dave Brewer » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:28 am

Jeez that's turned out great Eric,there's something strangely appealing about that ugly duckling design.Terrific build thread as usual.
Cheers,
Dave.
Dave Brewer
Devotee

Postby saxon » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:51 am

Looks good. Still blows me away that they made this in 1/32 an unlikely subject in that scale. But a nice change from the usual.
saxon
Devotee

Previous