1/32 CAC Boomerang A46-217 Finished (with Glamour shots)

Member's Area Reader's Models
Photo's of Member's modelling projects and images of the completed articles

Re: 1/32 CAC Boomerang A46-217 “Hep Cat”

Postby Rusty » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:54 pm

A masterclass of model making as always. The worn paint looks so real
Awesome job
Rusty
Beginner

Postby ericg » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:22 pm

Cheers guys.

qfa_tsv wrote:Very interesting work going on
You weem to be using a clear type masking material there, rather than the more traditional kabuki type, it seems excellent for being able to place correctly
Can you tell us what it is and where you get it.

Hi Graeme, it is Oramask 810. I can slip some to the ground agent at YBTL sometime this week if you want to try it, I will be doing about a million sectors into there over the next week!

Moving on to some of the smaller details. I added these before I painted the model but forgot to post an update.

A small drain and vent were added to the area between the wheel bays.

I opened up the panel that covers the ground power receptacle (bottom left of the Q) most of the pics that I have of these aircraft in theatre show it as being left off.

I drilled a small hole in the spinner, I guess this is to allow access to a grease nipple on the prop hub.

I had dry fitted the exhaust and found that it looked as if something was missing compared to photos. There is a small duct that comes off the rear of the exhaust and enters the fuselage. This was missed in the kit and I felt that it would look good to include it.

The exhaust as I had it, ready to install.

I made a duct from some plastic rod, heated and bent to shape. Also visible here is a small oval panel below and to the left of the exhaust which was missed in the kit that I scribed when I was working in that area. (There is a stencil data decal provided for it though)

The modified and now complete exhaust ready to install.

There will be lots of exhaust staining in this area as well as some burnt off paint on the panel around the exhaust, so it is only dry fitted at this stage. Glad I did this little mod.

ericg
Devotee

Postby _BlackHawk_ » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:49 pm

I really like how you did the nose art. I must invest in one of those mask cutters.
Blackhawk's quote of the week:
"No Fear, No Hesitation, No Surprise, No Doubt. -Musashi"
_BlackHawk_
Devotee

Postby ericg » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:40 am

Thanks Brad. Do it!

Another small detail. I should have added this before I painted the model but I didn’t. I made the bracket that is attached to the top of the fin that the radio aerial wire is secured to from scrap photo etch brass.

I finished scratch building the undercarriage legs, adding many small parts to add detail to them such as the brake lines from copper wire.

painted with SMS Aluminium. I will paint the oleos and other details later.

ericg
Devotee

Postby ericg » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:49 pm

I have continued the weathering process, applying a highly thinned dark brown mixed with flat clear to represent the significant exhaust staining down the side of the fuselage. I may apply some more and there is still a dark wash to pick out the detail but so far it is looking OK.

I fabricated a new pitot tube as the kit supplied resin one will last a few minutes before breaking. I made it from 3 pieces of brass rod, pinned together

The parts were then soldered together

And were then cut and filed to shape.

There is no competition here for strength that’s for sure.

I have made it removable to make it easier to chuck this model in a box when it comes time to transport it.

ericg
Devotee

Postby ozhawk40 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:46 pm

Excellent build Eric, a real pleasure to watch the progress.
ozhawk40
Beginner

Postby surfsup » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:44 pm

Definitely a Master Craftsman at his best. Beautiful detail and treatment Eric.....Cheers mark
If I was your Wife I would poison your Tea
If I was your Husband I would drink it

Winston Churchill
surfsup
Devotee

Postby ericg » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:30 pm

Thank you guys. Much appreciated.

I am onto the finishing touches now. An important part of each build is the stance of the model. I epoxied the undercarriage legs legs into place to make sure that everything still lined up. I also attached the cowl flaps.

Almost done. Still lots of small details and tidying up to do.

ericg
Devotee

Postby ericg » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:10 pm

I have done a small amount of work to the model, mostly doing some changes to two areas where I had some feedback from mates of mine when I took it to a club meeting a few days ago.

The H in Hepcat was always a touch too thick and was something I was happy to leave alone, but it was something that was pointed out to me as above after he saw it online. I fixed it and am yet to redo the sealing coat of varnish, hence the different sheen on the inside of the H. Thanks Dan!

The port side chipping was also changed a bit, to concentrate it a bit better in one area rather than how I had it. I have blended that area into the rest of the wing root with the lighter shade if green. Cheers Brent!

ericg
Devotee

Postby ericg » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:31 pm

I received a Red Roo sheet of correct CAC logos today and duly replaced the wrong reversed logo on the right side of the rudder.

A small but important detail to get right!

ericg
Devotee

PreviousNext