1/32 CAC Boomerang A46-217 Finished (with Glamour shots)

Member's Area Reader's Models
Photo's of Member's modelling projects and images of the completed articles

Re: 1/32 CAC Boomerang

Postby ericg » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:18 pm

Thanks very much guys.

Some more work. After much thought, I decided to go with A46-217, with the nose art “Hep Cat” instead of the one in my first post. I liked the cat painted on this Boomerang as he looks like a cool sort of character, not sure what ‘Hep’ is short for but he looks like he gets up to some pretty dodgy stuff in his spare time. There are no decals for the serials, squadron codes or the nose art so I was going to have to paint all of them.

First up, the picture that inspired me to do this one.

Made up some masks for the roundels and painted these on first.

I found a good clear photo of the QE squadron code and traced around the letters, I also turned the Q into a G to make the individual aircraft letter..

Using the period photo as above, I traced the “Hep Cat” writing

I then used the same photograph to rough out the cat. I was going to use a reasonably clear profile drawing of 217 from the Boomerang book but found it to be fairly innacuarate compared to the photo of the real thing.

This is the two masks ready to cut.

The cat. There are quite a few elements to this to allow me to spray the three colours.

Mask on, ready to spray

one down, one to go.

all done! I will be toning down the paint chipping a little bit. Also, the cat will need some more detail that I will hand paint.

ericg
Devotee

Re: 1/32 CAC Boomerang A46-217 “Hep Cat”

Postby Calum » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:18 am

Nice work with the cutter Eric
Calum
Devotee

Postby Kahunaminor » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:01 pm

Very nice work Eric.

Regards,
Kent in Oz
Bench: 1/48 Eduard Bf 109E-7, Libya, 1941; 1/32 Tamiya Spitfire Mk XVIe
Completed: 1/48 SH CAC CA12 Boomerang; 1/32 Eduard Bf109E-4; 1/48 Eduard Spitfire Mk IXc;1/32 Hasegawa Bf109G-6;1/48 Eduard Fw190A-8.
Kahunaminor
Devotee

Postby ericg » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:14 am

I did a bit more research on Hep Cat and found that he was a cartoon during the mid 1940’s. I figured that this is what the artist would have based his painting on and decided to fill in the blanks with the cats face as it stood in my last update. Due to the fuzzy nature of the original photo, some of details had disappeared, but close examination allowed me to see that his ears and face were of slightly different shades, which matched up with pictures of the cartoon that I found on the WWW. I believe that the cat has stripes on a shirt which may represent an Aussie rules football team that maybe the pilot liked or even played for.

I worked on the mask a bit more and sprayed the face and ears.

I then used a .03mm Copic Multiliner to outline the cat, and draw his eyes and whiskers as well as define his paws. I have sprayed a thin gloss coat over the nose art to protect it whilst I finish the rest of the model.

ericg
Devotee

Postby DesTROYer » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:08 am

Awesome work, Eric.
DesTROYer
Devotee

Postby Rabbit Leader » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:34 am

What an absolute master class in all things modelling! I don’t know how you honestly do it Eric. This is God’s work.
Cheers.. Dave
Rabbit Leader
Devotee

Postby ericg » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:41 am

Thanks gents.

I have started to add some different weathering effects now that the markings have been completed. The chipping on the wing roots needed to be toned down a bit, so I removed the tip of my airbrush and sprayed a lightened and thinned mix of SMS Forest Green around each of the chips. Removing the tip allows for very tight lines to be sprayed. The different colour green suggests fading and underlying primer.

I will add a panel line wash as well as other effects to this area soon

A good clear picture of a similar Boomerang from the same SQN shows the darkened panel aft of the exhaust running along the fuselage. This panel was metal unlike the rest of the fuselage which was wood. I masked it off and tinted it with Tamiya Smoke. I will add exhaust staining once closer to finishing the model.

The machine gun ports were next, I sprayed the forest green around the 2 ports to simulate the white area having been cleaned and washed away and then sprayed the red doped area freehand to depict multiple applications of the protective dope. I outlined the forest green area with the Foliage Green.

I had to adjust the white demarcation of the tail as I had it slightly wrong when I first sprayed it. Once that was complete, I applied the A number in the neatest but roughest way that I could to depict a field applied serial number.

getting there. I am looking forward to applying the stencil data and bringing it all together with a panel line wash.

ericg
Devotee

Postby surfsup » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:12 am

Superb work Eric. It is always better seeing your work in the Flesh so will enjoy seeing her at QMHE this Year.....Cheers mark
If I was your Wife I would poison your Tea
If I was your Husband I would drink it

Winston Churchill
surfsup
Devotee

Postby RayS » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:25 pm

The stencil work and weathering is looking excellent Eric
Ray
Bench stuff:
...lots
RayS
Devotee

Postby qfa_tsv » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:47 pm

Very interesting work going on
You weem to be using a clear type masking material there, rather than the more traditional kabuki type, it seems excellent for being able to place correctly
Can you tell us what it is and where you get it.
Graeme
qfa_tsv
Devotee

PreviousNext