1/72 Hasegawa Super Hornet - 1 Squadron 100th Anniversary

Member's Area Reader's Models
Photo's of Member's modelling projects and images of the completed articles

1/72 Hasegawa Super Hornet - 1 Squadron 100th Anniversary

Postby MichaelDrover » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:08 pm

Hi all, a new one onto the workbench...a RAAFie this time.

Since Steve Evans from Ronin decals released these decals earlier in the year, I've been eager to build this kit. I did however have one small problem, I didn't have the kit I needed in the stash. Fast forward to a few weeks ago and I managed to score the kit with the right bits and pieces in it from a store here in the middle of Brisbane.

So the plan is to turn this...

into this…though just a smaller version in 72nd scale.

The original kit of the 1/72 Hasegawa F/A-18F family has been around for a while now with releases seeming to come out of Japan at a steady rate of either the latest CAG jet or aircraft that adorn colourful artwork. This release which was released in early 2016 fortunately has all that's needed for a RAAF jet. The only real draw back is the lack of ordnance supplied. You need to supply your own and in my case I'll be loading it with two GBU-38 and two GBU-54 ype bombs, both 500lb class bombs. The correct bard stacks are also moulded in place which is correct for our Rhinos.

I recently found some excellent photos of this jet on the Defence Media site while it was deployed on combat operations overseas which is where I got the one above. It's an interesting load out in the fact that it's asymmetric. The tanks are loaded in the 'goofy gas' configuration which allows a greater field of view for the designator pod on the left shoulder station. The port wing carries two GBU-38 bombs on the inner two pylons and a single GBU-54 on the outer. Turning to the starboard side we can see the drop tank and then a single GBU-54 on the middle pylon with an empty outer pylon. Both wing tips are carrying AIM-9X Sidewinders and the right shoulder station carries a lone AIM-120 AMRAAM. As mentioned the ATFLIR is being carried on the port shoulder station.

With regards to the kit, it does have the correct ACS coaming that the later Lot jets have, however the rear instrument decal IP represents the earlier style of rear cockpit. I'm not too fussed on this as the model will have the canopy closed. I have ordered a set of Quickboost resin seats to add some visual interest to the closed cockpit as the kit seats are quite simple one piece items. I’ve also got the GBU’s covered with some Attack Squadron products.

Construction is fairly straight forward however there are a few spots that need some attention. The kit intakes are extremely short and have an obvious seam in the roof of the intake. There's not much to do about the short intakes unless some major plastic surgery is undertaken. The seam however can be easily dealt with. It had a touch of Tamiya grey putty mixed with some Tamiya lacquer thinner to make it into slurry, kind of like the texture of soft butter. This has been applied and I've started to smooth it in as you can see in the photo. I'll sand it back and apply some primer to see how it looks.

The cockpit tub has been installed on the lower forward fuselage half and has had paint applied along with a gloss coat ready for the decals. The same thing goes for the front and rear IP.

The engine exhausts are a simple affair and in hindsight I wish I'd gone for some aftermarket items. I might get away with sleeving they outlet with some tube with the right OD, we'll see.

The basic representation of the flame holder has been painted Burnt Iron from the Mr Color Metallics range. The great thing about this stuff is that it can be polished. You can see the results in the picture of the differences between a polished and non-polished paint. I hit the polished parts (on both sides) with a micro q-tip and it looks the part. Sealing this stuff is a bit of a grey area for me at the moment as any form of lacquer or hot thinner in the gloss will cause the grey to change shade, not exactly something I'm interested in achieving. If you have any info on how you go about sealing these paints I'd be interested to hear.

An upper and lower half capture the polycaps for the elevators which in turn also holds the flame holder. This part is installed in the rear of the fuselage. I’ve added a splash of the same Burnt Iron in the bare plastic after i took these photos.

The upper and lower half of the fuselage are one piece items. I’ve applied some Gunze FS36231 on those. [PIC]

The fuselage join is pretty good. The dark grey paint is the Burnt Iron after it hit it with some Humbrol poly. I’ve used this on the fuselage seams as I’ve heard it’s a bit more forgiving with regards to ghost seams than Tamiya Extra Thin.

The fit of the LERX is very good too. The first pic shows the fit of the parts held in place by gravity. The second two images shows it buttoned up with glue applied.

And this is where I’m at with the build; I’ve also assembled the two drop tanks.

More to come soon.

Mick
Last edited by MichaelDrover on Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MichaelDrover
Devotee

Re: 1/72 Hasegawa Super Hornet - 1 Squadron 100th Anniversar

Postby woodziee » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:42 pm

Yesssss! Nice start Mick, I have one of these kits waiting for when those 1Squadron Decals you have get re-released in the next couple of weeks. I noticed that ugly join in the intakes, I like how you have tackled it. As with the 75th 2OCU markings I do like these too, reminds me of the Jolly Rogers.

Will be watching with interest.

Cheers,

Matt.
woodziee
Devotee

Postby DesTROYer » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:38 pm

Cool.
DesTROYer
Devotee

Postby RayS » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:08 pm

Nice start!
Ray
Bench stuff:
...lots
RayS
Devotee

Postby Biggles81 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:37 pm

It won't affect the modelling, but in the finishing note that both GBU-54s are BLU-126 warheads so a different colour and stripe arrangement than a normal Mk82 warhead.
Biggles81
Devotee

Postby MichaelDrover » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:03 pm

woodziee wrote:Yesssss! Nice start Mick, I have one of these kits waiting for when those 1Squadron Decals you have get re-released in the next couple of weeks. I noticed that ugly join in the intakes, I like how you have tackled it. As with the 75th 2OCU markings I do like these too, reminds me of the Jolly Rogers.

Will be watching with interest.

Cheers,

Matt.

Hi Matt.

I'm waiting for the 2OCU markings as well however it looks like Steve is doing the bill paying work at the moment rather than decals. Bummer. I agree regarding the Jolly Rogers scheme, is was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the scheme. And because it's seen combat I can load it up.

Regarding the kit itself, the seam isn't nasty but needs to be addressed, as for the intake tunnel, well that's another matter. I've sanded back tonight and it looks good. I'll post some more pics tomorrow night.

Biggles81 wrote:It won't affect the modelling, but in the finishing note that both GBU-54s are BLU-126 warheads so a different colour and stripe arrangement than a normal Mk82 warhead.

Thanks Biggles. Is the BLU-126 the laser warhead? By chance do you have details for the stripe colours and arrangement? I did notice on the 38's that they had the pointy nose warhead rather than the more rounded version. Do you have any information on what they might be?

Thanks all.

Mick
MichaelDrover
Devotee

Postby Biggles81 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:27 pm

BLU-126 is a low collateral damage 500lb variant. A quick google will give you lots of photos of the warhead with and without guidance kits. The actual laser guidance seeker of the GBU-54 is in the small black dome, which in other variants (dome not JDAM) contains a proximity fuse (DSU-33 target detection device). The GBU-38s have a standard hardened nose cap in the empty nose fuse well to help penetration and thereby reduce the damage radius of the warhead. As they do not have the laser guidance kit of the GBU-54 they do not need the dome on the nose.

This GBU-38 has a BLU-126 warhead and DSU-33 proximity fuse.

http://vietnamdefence.com/web/Uploaded/ ... lu126b.jpg

and here is a variation of the nose cap, as you can see it screws into the nose fuse well in lieu of a mechanical or electrical fuse:

https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/imag ... b59db8.jpg
Biggles81
Devotee

Postby thevespabandit » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:33 am

Looks like a nice great start! Great choice of scheme too- looking forward to the end result.
thevespabandit
Devotee

Postby MichaelDrover » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:17 pm

Biggles81 wrote:BLU-126 is a low collateral damage 500lb variant. A quick google will give you lots of photos of the warhead with and without guidance kits. The actual laser guidance seeker of the GBU-54 is in the small black dome, which in other variants (dome not JDAM) contains a proximity fuse (DSU-33 target detection device). The GBU-38s have a standard hardened nose cap in the empty nose fuse well to help penetration and thereby reduce the damage radius of the warhead. As they do not have the laser guidance kit of the GBU-54 they do not need the dome on the nose.

This GBU-38 has a BLU-126 warhead and DSU-33 proximity fuse.

http://vietnamdefence.com/web/Uploaded/ ... lu126b.jpg

and here is a variation of the nose cap, as you can see it screws into the nose fuse well in lieu of a mechanical or electrical fuse:

https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/imag ... b59db8.jpg

Thanks for the clarification Biggles, that makes sense. The Attack squadron products should be fine with minimal modification. I think the hardened nose cap for the GBU-38 can be taken care of by five minutes with a sander to shape the tip.

Thanks,
Mick
MichaelDrover
Devotee

Postby MichaelDrover » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:39 pm

Back again with another update.

The nose and cockpit tub is together though I've got a couple of seams to remove to make it a RAAF jet. The instructions are kind enough to show you which ones need changing and removal. The fit so far has been excellent with minimal cleanup work. Don't mind the bare plastic in bottom of the tub. I had to remove the locating rail for the bottom of the seat for the resin replacements when they eventually arrive.

The tub is basic but you get the idea.

Certainly not a kit of problems I have encountered one 'niggle' so far.

As you can see in the first photo the rear bulkhead of the cockpit tub sits very close to the lower section of the LERX where the nose section fits. You can see the black texture mark where the original kit plastic ended and how much I removed. It's a much better fit now with no interference in this area.

You can see how much I've removed, it was about 5mm in total.

The wings are complete with the flap and aileron actuators in place. The pylon hopes have been drilled out too. The forward ones are 1.5mm and the rear ones are 1.2mm.

I've stolen two AIM-9X's and an AIM-120C from the Tamiya F-16CJ boxing. The benefit of these over the Hasegawa items are they are one piece moulding so there's no faffing around cleaning up guidance fins and then attaching them. Here they've got their first lick of paint.

I think I'll have the main fuselage pieces together tomorrow night and a strong 'maybe' for the wings and stabs too...of course all dependent on everything outside of bench time.

Cheers,
Mick
MichaelDrover
Devotee

Next