Photo's of Member's modelling projects and images of the completed articles

Re: DesTROYers 1/35 AAAvn CH-47D Chinook

Postby DesTROYer » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:36 am

No, all the aircraft below are 1/48.
DesTROYer
Devotee

Postby DesTROYer » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:45 pm

The Chinook's been in a bit of a holding pattern this last week. I've been held up on it whilst waiting for the CSAR hoist that Russ French offered to make, to arrive, but as I have been home from work recovering from hernia repair surgery since last Monday, I have had some time on my hands and finishing off the B737-800 didn't take as long as I expected. So I started by doing some pre-shading on the fuselage and finished painting and assembling the rotors.

I was happy with the pre-shading lines, but although I had followed the colour call out for the rotors, it was rightly pointed out to me that they were too dark, so back into the office I went and laid down a new coat of NATO black, then added some grey to the NATO black, added some feathering to the leading edge, and then finally ran a very thin line of tan to the edge. This I was then very happy with.

This morning I rubbed them back with some micro mesh, made up some masks for the rotor markings and sprayed the yellow lines.

Continuing on, I applied the 'No Step' and rotary wing serial number stencils to the rotor blades, added some extra details to the heads and then to finish them off I dry brushed some flat aluminium onto the rotor head. Here is the result.

And here is where we're at now. Hopefully, I'll have the hoist mounted and some paint down on the fuselage in the next couple of days.
DesTROYer
Devotee

Postby rodenlee » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:43 am

Looking the goods Troy...Must be a big beast when including the rotor arc!!
rodenlee
Devotee

Postby DesTROYer » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:19 pm

Cheers bud, yeah that coffee table is around 700mm wide and the rotors will not turn within that space.

I had to make some changes this morning due to information received overnight, to the colour rings on the rotor heads. I had seen photos of red and yellow bands in photos, but due to not seeing a complete head, did not know that the three arms each had a different colour band, red, yellow and green, and I had just assumed that the bands were dependent on what time period the photos were taken. So they have now been touched up to properly render this. As the rotors are linked to turn in concert with each other, to make sure they are aligned, when one colour band is facing forward on the front mast, the same colour rotor blade must be forward on the rear mast. As the rotors spin in opposite directions the bands go in the opposite order too. Photos to follow later this afternoon after I get home, or you can see my face book model page to see what I mean, now.
DesTROYer
Devotee

Postby DesTROYer » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:17 am

As promised.
This rotor head is a rear. As the rotors are contra-rotating, the colour band patern is reversed on the front rotor head.
DesTROYer
Devotee

Postby AndrewDoppel » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:46 am

Enjoying watching this progress Troy.
Regards
Andrew Doppel

AMI Moderator
AndrewDoppel
Devotee

Postby enfield38 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:20 am

Looking good Troy. FWIW, it was standard practice on RAAF Iroquois and Squirrels to colour code each blade for maintenance purposes. In the case of the Iroquois, it was red and white. Everything connected to that blade had the same colour, either a painted dot or a small band. There was a "Rotor Smoothing Sheet" kept with the maintenance logs which was updated whenever a tracking or balance adjustment was made and test flown e.g. "Red Blade Tab adjusted up 1/2 Degree". That way, if there were any reported vibration issues we could go back and check if anything had moved or been disturbed.
Cheers,
Rod C
enfield38
Devotee

Previous