DesTROYer's 1/48 Gloster Meteor F.8 Twin build

Member's Area Reader's Models
Photo's of Member's modelling projects and images of the completed articles

DesTROYer's 1/48 Gloster Meteor F.8 Twin build

Postby DesTROYer » Mon May 07, 2018 3:15 pm

My Month long exile from the work bench is over. Though I still have over 120 staples in my left thigh, I couldn't stay away from the bench any longer. Over the month away I spent a heap of time thinking about and researching my next builds and purchasing some new kits. In the end it came down to a 1/35 Blackhawk or a 1/48 Meteor F.8. The Meteor ended up winning, but as I had two kits in the stash and wanted to do one in flight and one with the engines and guns exposed, I decided to do the two at the same time.

The inflight model will be A77-854 with rockets and will be 98% OOB with only the seat "enhanced" by photo etch that is left over from the under service Meteor A77-851 Halestorm which will have resin seat & spent shell chutes, as well internal photo etch updates from Eduard.
It felt so good cutting and reshaping the first piece.

Before long I had two tubs well underway. The OOB one fell together in under 10 mins, but even with the little photo etch involved, the other is taking a fair bit longer.

I need to paint the seats, add some dry brushing to the cockpit walls and to apply some placard decals to both tubs and seats. The dials on the OOB IP will come from the kit decals but I think I'll need to add some extra colour too.

Progress will be slow as I'm still taking it easy still, but we're on the way.
DesTROYer
Devotee

Re: DesTROYer's 1/48 Gloster Meteor F.8 Twin build

Postby Brenden S » Wed May 09, 2018 12:13 am

I am going to get my other half to get me the Meatbox when she goes back to the UK as the Airfix shop is just down the road from her parents.
Brenden S
Devotee

Postby DesTROYer » Wed May 09, 2018 6:20 pm

The appointment at the Alfred yesterday taught me that I was pushing myself a little to hard, nothing serious, but I'm taking it easy for the rest of the week as I still heal. Still I set myself up with the stable table in my Lazyboy recliner today and did some more work on the cockpit tubs.

Firstly, and perhaps strangely as I would usually detail and seal before doing this, I applied the cockpit decals after watching a video on youtube that recommended this and using Micro Sol both before and after applying the decals to non gloss surfaces. Seems to work quite well.
Here is the IP's of both jets. one with photo etch and the other with a decal. You'll notice I didn't get the decal lined up correctly on this first attempt. Good news is I had a second decal and managed to fix this.

The kit seat on the left, after market resin on the right, Again the decals applied before details painted and dry brushing added.

Now these tub sidewalls may look a little over done with the dry brushing, but IRL it looks right. I think its due to the macro lens I used to take the photos. Either way I was getting closer to joining up the second tub.

The two assembled tubs. The seat without belts will have a pilot added which will have the belts added afterwards. Just have to find the correct era pilot that fits to suit. I think I'll have to replace the photo etch face shield handle on the resin seat. it looks too flimsy.

Last up I did pop out to the garage to fire up the airbrush and put some paint down on some other parts. This done, I may start to assemble the fuselage tomorrow If I'm up to it.
DesTROYer
Devotee

Postby noelbarnes » Sun May 13, 2018 9:01 am

G'day Troy. I have been out of the loop for a bit too. Are you OK? Sounds like you've had some down time? Nothing like a bit of modelling to speed up the healing process. You Meteors are coming along nicely. Look forward to seeing more. Take it easy.
noelbarnes
Devotee

Postby DesTROYer » Mon May 14, 2018 1:42 pm

Hi Noel, thanks for the concern. Just a bit of surgery on one of my legs, sealed up with around 120 staples. I’ve had 55 of them removed so far, and hopefully some more will come out tomorrow. Due to the location of the surgery, sitting at the bench hasn’t been much of an option for the most part, though I’ve squeezed a few hours in here and there. Once all the staples are out, I’ll be back in there a lot more. I started back at work today and my leg is aching like a little bitch. Panadol and neurophen are keeping it from hurting more, but I think I’ll need to be taking an endone before bed tonight.

Hopefully this weekend will see more progress on the meteors. How have you been?
DesTROYer
Devotee

Postby noelbarnes » Thu May 17, 2018 10:44 am

Go well my friend. Hope you're completely on deck soon.
noelbarnes
Devotee

Postby DesTROYer » Sun May 20, 2018 5:17 pm

Back into the office today, and I was able to sit at the bench with no pain, so WINNING!

I started by mixing and matching some pieces of some 1/48 pilots to set something that both fits in the top, but looks the part. The flight suit isn't quite right, and the head is a bit out of scape, but once he gets a coat or two of paint and is sitting in his office, he'll look the part.

Then I started on fitting the guns into the gun bays for the under service Meteor. A little touch up is still required but they're getting there. They will look good once sealed, installed and given a wash I think.

Then it was on to the two sets of wings. One will have the engines exposed and the other will be inflight. Fit is great.

And besides putting the gunboat door covers on the inflight models fuselage, that was it for the day.

Oh and I did a little bit of work getting the display base for the Kiowa done for Expo. Its been on my todo list for a while.
DesTROYer
Devotee

Postby Battletweety » Sun May 20, 2018 6:10 pm

Hi Destroyer, your Kiowa looks bloody superb. Are you taking it to the Melbourne model expo in June?

You pilots for the meteor are coming along nicely. How did you do the eyes, they look very lifelike. My attempts on my sub end up looking like zombies.

BT
Resistance is futile, you will be assembled!!

The Mad Modelling of Battletweety
Battletweety
Beginner

Postby DesTROYer » Sun May 20, 2018 6:41 pm

Hey BT, yes we'll be at Expo next month. If you're coming too, come say hi. I don't usually do too many figures, so when I do, I just wing it. I'm open to ideas though.
DesTROYer
Devotee

Postby noelbarnes » Sun May 20, 2018 9:15 pm

Love that Kiowa and base. Nice!
noelbarnes
Devotee