Watching with interest Mick.
Regards
Andrew Doppel

AMI Moderator
AndrewDoppel
Devotee

Re: 1/72 Hasegawa Super Hornet - 1 Squadron 100th Anniversar

Postby MichaelDrover » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:47 pm

We had a busy weekend away so not much done on the Super Hornet except for a bit when I got home.

I filled in the panel lines that the kit recommends. The mix I used was a combination of CA and talc. This creates a paste that becomes quite sandable, particularly if you've got a bit more talc in it than CA. The result looks a bit messy but it has since sanded down quite well. It can also be scribed.

I've also filled in the seam on the underside of the LERX. which has been cleaned up. A benefit of the CA/talc mix is that it doesn't shrink.

Last night (Monday night) I managed to get most of the major components together. I've been happy with the assembly so far as the fit is really good. The abutting seam on the lower forward/aft fuselage will need some Mr Surfacer applied a but other than that there's been no real issues.

During the wing assembly I ensured that the wings had the correct dihedral on either side. Both sides have 12.5mm clearance from the cutting matt to the centre of the wingtip missile rail.

You get an idea of just how much shape and size difference there is between the super and classic Hornet. The single seater classic is the Academy kit.

More soon.
Mick
MichaelDrover
Devotee

Postby qfa_tsv » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:30 am

Nice work there Mick, I also use Superglue as a filler, but don't use the talc, do you put that on after you apply the superglue?
Graeme
qfa_tsv
Devotee

Postby MichaelDrover » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:47 am

qfa_tsv wrote:Nice work there Mick, I also use Superglue as a filler, but don't use the talc, do you put that on after you apply the superglue?

Hi Graeme.

I mix the talc into the CA first before I apply it. There's plenty of working time with it before it goes off. Adding an accelerator after applications certainly speed things up though. The problems I've found with CA is that if it's left for too long you'll be sanding the kit away first before making headway on the CA filler.

Cheers,
Mick
MichaelDrover
Devotee

Postby woodziee » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:04 pm

How's this build going Mick.
woodziee
Devotee

Postby MichaelDrover » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:47 pm

Hey Woodzie.

I haven't been down to the workshop for about three weeks. I've been on a gradual return to full time work program over the last few months after a year off. Sadly bench time has diminished!

I'm planing on getting back to it this week. Apologies for the lack of updates but I certainly want to get cracking on it again. There's plenty of good stuff that recently arrived that I want to get onto so the motivation is there.

Hopefully something later this week.

Cheers,
Mick
MichaelDrover
Devotee

Postby thevespabandit » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:51 pm

Looking forward to it mate, welcome back to full time work and a bigger welcome back to the bench! :D
thevespabandit
Devotee

Postby Antoney Wilkinson » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:51 am

Good luck with the return to full time work Michael... Trust it is a smooth one...

Cheers,

AGW..
Antoney Wilkinson
Devotee

Previous