Italeri RAAF Mirage IIIO... FINISHED (with glamour shots)

Member's Area Reader's Models
Photo's of Member's modelling projects and images of the completed articles

Re: Italeri RAAF Mirage IIIO... FINISHED (with glamour shots

Postby fjs » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:22 pm

DesTROYer wrote:
Zaggy wrote:*throws hands and current builds in the air and storms off*

Damn Eric - you keep making me think I should just give up! ;) That looks awesome mate/

D

He makes me want to try harder. ;)

I agree with Destroyer, definatly sopthing to aspire to ;) . Well done ericg!!!!!
On the bench:
Airfix 1/72 Lancaster B.iii

motivation/advice for modelers:
"Better is the end of a thing than its beginning, and the patient in spirit is better than the proud in spirit."
fjs
Beginner

Postby DesTROYer » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:16 am

Aardvark wrote:The loops were not actually a safety device as such. They were fuzing loops that were attached to the arming wires to the nose fuze and the tail fuze anemometer. The loops were pushed into the fuzing units on the ejector when the bomb was loaded and retained in place by a spring loaded ball.

When the pilot selected either nose or tail fuzing or both the ball retaining the fuzing loop was electromagnetically locked. When the bomb was ejected the arming wire was pulled from the anemometer allowing it to spin, then the wire was stopped by a bracket and clips from moving any further. The wire was attached to a link on the loop which was held in place by the copper wire which would shear allowing the wire to go with the bomb. The sheared copper wires are evident in the image.

If the particular fuzing unit was not selected the loop would pull out of the unit and with the wire go with the bomb preventing the fuze from arming. A soft metal ring with a red tag was attached to each fuze or tail anemometer and was removed by the armourer on the pilots walkaround.

Hope that explains it.

That's very interesting. Thanks.
DesTROYer
Devotee

Postby ericg » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:27 pm

Hi Aardvark,

Thanks for the info. I think that is how Sean explained it to me at expo. I was just blown away to hold something that was directly connected to his aircraft on the day that I had depicted, so retained pretty well none of the info!

Eric.
ericg
Devotee

Previous