Italeri RAAF Mirage IIIO... RPK-10

Member's Area Reader's Models
Photo's of Member's modelling projects and images of the completed articles

Re: Italeri RAAF Mirage IIIO... Painting

Postby woodziee » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:32 pm

Wow! Can't wait to see the finished product.
woodziee
Devotee

Postby ericg » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:26 pm

I finally got my hands on a set of High planes models No.2 OCU decals. I sat down for a decaling session, placing my trust in the nicely packaged decals. The decals seemed to be reasonably old and required care to peel off the protective paper which had become stuck to the decals themselves. Despite this, I decided to start with one of the smaller fin flashes, which would give me a good idea of how the decals would perform.

I was immediately disappointed in them, as can be seen in the photo below. The red was way out of register, and there was a dark line around the blue.

After all of the work that had gone into the model, there was no way these were going to make an appearance on the finished product. I initially looked at using the fin flashes from the kit but these were straight rather than slanted, so a solution was going to have to be thought of, and fast!

A few minutes later and I had designed and cut a paint mask (I have said it many times before, If you don't have a Silhouette Portrait mask cutter, you really need one!) .

With the center stripe painted with Tamiya White fine surface primer, I covered it up and then sprayed the blue, along with spraying the front stripe with Tamiya Pink fine surface primer (this allows less paint to be used to get red)

I then sprayed the front stripe with Gunze Red Madder to give the final colours. The benefit of using Oramask 810 can be seen by its clear nature and ease of positioning due to being able to see underlying panel lines etc for orientation.

Unmasked. Looks much better.

With the 2 OCU markings applied. These decals were a bit better, although required lots of soaking to remove them from their backing and are a little inaccurate. I used Ventura decals for the serials.

ericg
Devotee

Postby noelbarnes » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:50 pm

Much much better. It is disappointing when you pay extra for decals to get a better finish than what's in the kit only to find these kind of short falls. looking great Eric.
noelbarnes
Devotee

Postby ericg » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:21 pm

I next ran into the problem of the roundels. The kit has the correct ones for the intakes but the older style roundels for the underwing. The HPM decals featured the dark outline on the blue circles as per the fin flash, so were unsuitable and the underwing roundels were way overscale and also not suitable for the model. I decided to mask and paint them and am quite happy with the result.

Here is a pic of the mask set that I made up for the kit, 4 roundels, fin flash, wheel masks and some circles to cover the roo once painted to prevent overspray when applying the blue portion of the roundels. If you have a Mask cutter and would like this file then please email me and I will send it to you `on the house'

The painted roundels look really good and I am still pretty chuffed that I can produce these on demand at home.

Getting there!

ericg
Devotee

Postby Zaggy » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:37 pm

Just for anyone curious, the dark edge is actually the Blue ink, WITHOUT the layer of white under it. ie: whom ever printed them expected the blue pigment to be denser than it ended up being, thus made the white circles (bottom screen) smaller, so things were a bit more forgiving regarding register.

Your masked solutions look much better though :)

D
Last edited by Zaggy on Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zaggy
Devotee

Postby DesTROYer » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:51 pm

Great work and thanks for the copy of your stencils, Eric.
DesTROYer
Devotee

Postby ericg » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:08 pm

Zaggy wrote:Just for anyone curious, the dark edge is actually the Blue ink, WITHOUT the layer of white under it. ie: whom ever printed them expected the blue pigment to be denser than it ended up being, thus made the white circles (bottom screen) smaller, so thing were a bit more forgiving regarding register.

Your masked solutions look much better though :)

D

Thanks Zaggy. One would expect that after the decal maker prints off a run that there would be some type of quality control though. Luckily I have the tech to be able to work around it but I feel for someone who has brought the decals in good faith and had no other option but to use them.

Eric.
ericg
Devotee

Postby Antoney Wilkinson » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:57 am

Outstanding as always.

Eric, do you think the mask cutter you're using would work in 72 scale?

Cheers,
Antoney Wilkinson
Devotee

Postby ericg » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:49 pm

Antoney Wilkinson wrote:Outstanding as always.

Eric, do you think the mask cutter you're using would work in 72 scale?

Cheers,

Antoney, I am not sure mate. It may have problems with a RAAF roundel, maybe send me a of a 1/72 one and I will give it a go.

It was time to paint an RPK-10. I had finished the construction of one tank and couldn't help myself. I needed to see my creation under a coat of paint!

I primed it and checked for flaws with Tamiya fine surfacer primer, before giving it a coat of Mr Surfacer black 1000. I then painted the nose with aluminium before giving the silver part a coat of AK worn effects fluid.

I then mottled on a coat of base colour

A couple of thin coats of the base colour

I then applied the top surface cam colour and assembled the tank with the bombs. I am yet to weather the tank.

On the model, they look pretty good.

2/3rds done with the underwing stuff.

ericg
Devotee

Re: Italeri RAAF Mirage IIIO... RPK-10

Postby Zaggy » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:00 pm

Yeah, those RPK's do look the goods :)

They'd be adding some not-inconsiderable weight to the thing, wouldn't they?

Dan
Zaggy
Devotee

PreviousNext