RAN Ship's Colour Question ...

Member's Area Reader's Photos Maritime reference section
An area for reference images all things maritime.

Re: RAN Ship's Colour Question ...

Postby jindivik33 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:05 pm

Apologies for the tardy response. I stuck with the Bunnings 'recipe' and although I won't use a litre of Storm Grey in a month of Sundays, it looks good in the tin.

I now have the unenviable task of assembling six LCM3 with tweeny-weeny PE bibs and bobs for the Ferry. Yes, they are L,Arsnel 1/350 assessories but should look OK hung off the side of the 1/400 converted HMS Colossus ... ;)

And the 4 x Bofors with their tweeny-weeny Sea Master brass barrels are also going to present the tired old eyes with a bit of a challenge ...

Cheers

Roger
jindivik33
Devotee

Postby traff » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:16 pm

G'day Roger,

I would love to see a picture of the "Ferry" when you have finished. I did the same thing 30 odd years ago and am considering re hashing it. Got the 1:400 LCVP which I am hoping to modify to at least look OK from a distance and also got a couple of 1:400 Wessex as well. Going to fit them when I get around to stripping her down and re-building her. Considering getting the WEM PE as well. Have not thought which Bofors to get, I would be interested to know how yours go. Also very interested in how you will tackle the three additional cranes.

Regards
traff
Devotee

Postby Nick Thorne » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:16 pm

I have a set of 1:400 pe for Illustrious as much of it is directly compatible with the 1942 light fleets. You might want to have a look at that as an option.
FLY NAVY
Nick Thorne
Devotee

Postby traff » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:23 am

Thanks Nick,

I was just considering the basic WEM Colossus set, bit cheaper. Any thoughts on that one?
traff
Devotee

Postby Nick Thorne » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:27 pm

Hmm... went and checked in my Aromanches kit's box and indeed it is the Colossus set I have. I think I must have been thinking about when I was getting bits together for my Melbourne build and I know I seriously considered the Illustrious set - memory is a fickle beast. In any case there are a lot of components in the Colossus set that are directly applicable to any of the Majestics. In particular the crane, the antenna masts (the ones that can be lowered along the edge of the flight deck) and a fair amount of the safety netting and railings. There is likely to ne more applicable to the Ferry than Melbourne.

I really need to make a start on this soon...

EDit: On my computer, had too much trouble trying to use the smartphone.
FLY NAVY
Nick Thorne
Devotee

Postby traff » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:43 am

Thanks Nick. WEM Colossus set it is then. Looking at the 1:400 LCVP closely, I may have to go for the 1:350 LCM 3 (groan). Still in a bind over the three extra cranes.

Roger,

I am very interested to hear how you tackle them.

Regards
traff
Devotee

Postby jindivik33 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:51 pm

Like Nick, I have the 1/400 WEM PE for the Aromanches/Colossus kit and as Nick says, a lot will be applicable to the Ferry. Re the cranes, I'm looking at other WEM PE that can be adapted to HMAS Sydney III's additional cranes. I'm also looking for suitable gangways that provided access to the Fast Troops Carrier's LCM3s. The LCM3 davits will need to be scratchbuilt from pastic rod and card. The ship's boats and cutters have come from L'Arsenal and other maritime model sources.

The deck cargo is proving to be somewhat of a challenge also. I've sourced plans for the Landrovers and M113s from the Net. These 1/400 scale vehicles will need to be scratchbuilt out of card stock to provide masters for casting multiple examples (a modelling colleague has kindly offered to cast these once I produce the masters along with multple life raft cannisters as carried by the Ferry). Mouse House Enterprises supplied a set of International ACCO Mk3 truck plans and I need to modify these to come up with the Mk5 truck. Oh, and 1/2 ton trailers as well.

I've also sourced 1/350 Westland Wessex and Bell Hueys as I haven't yet decided the era that the model will represent.

And I thought that this would be a straight forward project ... yeah, right.

Cheers

Roger
jindivik33
Devotee

Postby traff » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:54 pm

Thanks Roger,

Very much looking forward to seeing how it goes. Being a scratch build cripple, I am thinking of doing her on a return trip or alongside Garden Island prior to loading, then no deck cargo :D The 1:400 Wessex (I think I got them from L'Arsenal) look good enough and I will keep with that, trying to minimise the 1:350 stuff in the ship. I have also been looking for suitable PE cranes, no luck so far. Will let you know if I find anything. Luckily 3 of them (forgot about the other one in my last post) are similar to the ones carried in TOBRUK and I have some reasonable photos of those, just need measurements. The other one is an issue though.

Know what you mean about the EASY job ;)
traff
Devotee

Postby Nick Thorne » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:55 pm

Well gents, if you're not in too much of a hurry, I plan on making some of my own pe for my build as it does not seem to be too different to making printed circuit boards which I have done a lot of in the past. As for timing - it's 6 of one half a dozen of the other if I wait for the Resin Shipyard 1:350 Bonnie/Melbourne kit. So that might give you an idea of the time frame. Assuming I get to it before the Resin Shipyard finally complete their job, I'm planning on making a pe LWO2 and Melbourne's mast, plus I'm not too sure what else. I'll be making resin life raft cannisters, don't know if they are the same as what were used on the ferry, but if they are then we should consider clubbing together and doing enough for all our needs. Actually, I'll probably start another thread for potential Melbourne modellers, so we can club together and sort out what we need for the barge. I've got an early start so it's off to beddie-byes now for this little black duck, but there'll be more to follow.
FLY NAVY
Nick Thorne
Devotee

Postby traff » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:57 am

Outstanding Nick. Count me in. I have waited 30 odd years to rehash the Ferry and 40 odd years for a Melbourne to come out, another bit of time won't hurt. I can't remember, was the LWO 2 also on the DE's? The antenna looks similar. Would be good for doing one of those as well.
traff
Devotee

PreviousNext