Some more Centurion pics. #169042

Member's Area Reader's Photos Military vehicles reference section
An area for reference images of real military vehicles of all ages and countries.

Some more Centurion pics. #169042

Postby Greg R » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:00 am

Just riding around one day and came across Centurion 169042 in the Tractor Museum that used to be at Kingston SE. They'd just brought it and it was still drivable. About 9 years later it pops up at the Field Days in Lucindale almost fully restored although the owner claimed it wasn't the same one so why did he use that serial number :?:

There's a ring in about half way through, some pics of the Leopard at our local RSL.

http://s1204.photobucket.com/user/thegu ... on_Leopard

Edit: If anyone wants hi-res versions just let me know and I can email them.
Last edited by Greg R on Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg R
Beginner

Re: Some more Centurion pics. #169042

Postby enfield38 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:29 pm

G'day Greg and welcome to AMI,

I'm certain it's the same vehicle, based on the mismatched idler wheels and the ground off driver's side omega bracket mounting point on the glacis plate. I suggest the owner probably meant the engine wasn't the same one.

From Col Filtness's excellent Centurion site http://centurion-mbt-two.synthasite.com/page-44.php :

'She was damaged in Vietnam from a mine which set fire to the Ammo causing a large fire. I had been told that it was repaired in Vietnam, but Mike Cecil has informed me it was sent back to Australia BER and repaired here.It was sold to Empire trading and resold to a chap named Parker along with 169069. 169042 had a seized engine and sat for over 20 years in a very poor state. It was resold to a chap from Kingston SA who was going to repair her, but never did! It was resold and was parked at a Tractor Museum for a couple of years and then resold to a couple who do not wish their names published. At this point of time it is still not a runner and I am sure that a motor replacement will be just the start of a long haul to have her up and running.'
Cheers,
Rod C
enfield38
Devotee

Postby DesTROYer » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:20 pm

Great pics. Those as well as some I took in Canberra and Seymour will come in real handy when I get around to building mine.

Welcome.
DesTROYer
Devotee

Postby Greg R » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:27 am

Great link Rod. I've sent him an email telling him what I know of 169042's history and told him he can use any of my pictures if he likes. It's strange that he states that the engine was seized as I'm pretty sure the owner of the tractor museum at Kingston said he drove it of the low loader and into the yard and it was moved around the museum a couple of times as it always seemed to be in a different place each time I went past. Anyway doesn't matter as it's running now and happily crushing cars :D

I was lucky enough to have them as my play things along with all the armour in the museum when I was around 6 to 8 years old. My father was some sort of instructor at Pucka and I got to go out in them quite a bit. Pretty sure it wouldn't happen these days ;)

If anyone want hi-res versions just let me know and I'll email them.
Greg R
Beginner