Australia's Lost Fighter - the CA-15 and it's Demise

Member's Area Reviews Publication reviews
An area for reviews of all publications that would be of interest to your fellow modellers.

Australia's Lost Fighter - the CA-15 and it's Demise

Postby admin » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:54 pm

This is a preliminary review of the book by David CLark and sold by Red Roo Models, I will be doing a thorough review on AMI in the very near future.

I now own a great number of the various Red Roo books and I must admit that they have definately improved over time in quality and content. This is not to say that the earlier ones where in any way bad but we now have such great works such as Southern Cross Mustangs, TWO different books on the B-24 and now this one covering the CA-15. To be quite upfront this book is not the same size as Southern Cross Mustangs but considering that only one CA-15 was produced (and they crashed it early in the piece) it is still a good read.

When reading the acknowledgements page you get an idea of the amount of time, energy and expertise that has gone into the compilation of this book as it is like a 'who's who' of modelling and subject matter expertise.

The book starts off with a brief overview and leadup of CAC and it's aircraft production then a relatively short write up of the production of the CA-15. To me the small amount of writing is not the drawcard of this book, the images, line drawings and original documents are. As it only existed for a short time there are very few original detailed images out there that are of use to modellers, thankfully this book pulls them all together in one area. These images include detailed cockpit shots and various other areas. Most of the book is taken up with copies of the original documents relating to the CA-15 and these make for interesting reading.

The only real bad point for me is the cover of the book as it is only light card that is easliy bent and curls. This is only a slight point and would not stop me from buying the book.

Whilst the CA-15 is not everyones idea of an interesting aircraft due to lack of production numbers and colour schemes, it is a highpoint in the Australian aircraft production history that needed to be put into print. This book certainly does that and even if you have only a slight interest in it you can't go past this book for the cheap price of AUD$27.45 (plus postage) direct from Red Roo Models.

http://www.redroomodels.com/books.php?book=1453
David Harvey
Editor
Aussie Modeller International

http://www.aussiemodeller.com.au
admin
Site Admin

Re: Australia's Lost Fighter - the CA-15 and it's Demise

Postby Smokeyr67 » Wed May 01, 2013 3:14 am

Thanks David, I'll be getting this book asap.
Just in case I forgot - I'm Shane
Smokeyr67
Devotee

Postby Zaggy » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:16 am

Having bought this a few months back, I must chip in and add that its a really interesting (and probably the only) work on the CA-15. It is a bit light on original text (as David points out, is filled with many original documents), but at the same time, the author seems to be letting the subject speak for itself - which coming from my Institutionalised (ie: University, hahaha) background, is quite refreshing and interesting.

I say buy it! :)

Dan
Zaggy
Devotee

Postby digger303 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:10 pm

If I was as rich rich as James Packer. I would get a replica built....full size... and take it to a UK air show and put it up against one of the spits and see what she might have been able to do.....one for Australia.
digger303
Devotee