Special Hobby 1/72 Westland Whirlwind Mk1

Member's Area Reviews Air related reviews
An area for reviews of all item specifically air related.

Special Hobby 1/72 Westland Whirlwind Mk1

Postby admin » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:05 pm

I recently received the 1/72 Special Hobby Westland Whirlwind Mk 1 in the "Different Whirlwind's" boxing from Boomerang Models for a review. The Whirlwind has always been one of those relatively obscure aircraft that has been kitted several times by various companies despite it's limited use on the front line by the RAF. Whilst it had great promise and was used effectively by those that flew it the aircraft was not built or used in any where near the numbers of the more famous aircraft of WWII.

This boxing covers the even less well known versions of the Whirlwind:
- Westland Whirlwind Mk 1, L6844, early August 1939. This second prototype was painted in overall mid green primer with the markin 'P-9' and polished metal propellers and spinners.
- Westland Whirlwind Mk 1, L6845, late August 1939, in overall aluminium and polished propellers and spinners.
- Westland Whirlwind Mk 1, G-AGOI (ex L6845), Westland Aircraft Ltd, 1946-47. This aircraft was used by Westland as a 'hack' aircraft and was painted in overall glossy Extra Dark Sea Grey with registration numbers on fueslage sides as well as the upper and lower wings.
- Westland Whirlwind Mk 1, L6844, 1940. This aircraft was armed with the 37mm nose mounted cannon and painted in Dark Green and Dark Earth uppers with Trainer Yellow undersides.

David Harvey
Editor
Aussie Modeller International

http://www.aussiemodeller.com.au
admin
Site Admin

Re: Special Hobby 1/72 Westland Whirlwind Mk1

Postby admin » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:28 pm

What you get in the kit - you receive a fair amount of parts in this boxing as Special Hobby have used generic sprues from other versions of the Whirlwind to make up this kit. You receive two sprues of a soft platic containing most of the parts as well as a bag of resin, a small Photo Etch sheet and a decal sheet.

The plastic components have a fair amount of detail included in them for 1/72 scale and it can come up quite well with a bit of work. The panel lines are very fine and care will be required when painting so that not too much paint is used that it will cover them over.

When the cockpit is built using all the plastic, PE and resin it turns into quite a busy area that would do justice to a 1/48 scale kit. I think it will be mostly unseen due to the canopy design unfortunatly. As one of the aircraft options includes the 37mm cannon Special Hobby have included a complete resin nose to replace the plastic kit part if you choose to do this aircraft. Looking at the instructions it seems a relatively straight forward operation to remove the kit nose but how it goes when chopping up the kit could be a different thing, but then care should always be taken when doing conversions such as this. The fueslage itself appears to fit well during test fitting but I have yet to get to the stage of installing the cockpit.

The wings are not too complicated with most of the parts going into the wheel wells. I have found so far that you will need to fit, file and fill areas in the wheel wells as the front and rear of the bays don't fit properly. I have also found that the instructions are not 100% clear on where all the parts go in the assembly ie where the rear wall of the wheel well fits on the top component. Also with the wings, please note that on the area of the wings that join the fueslage there are two tabs that look remarkably like sprue that need to be removed - DON'T! These two tabs are actualy the locator tabs for the wing/fueslage joint, don't ask me why I am saying this......

You receive a number of options with the kit to make it one of the decal options, these include different canopies, the resin nose as previously mentioned and an alternate resin propellor for the port engine.

Conclusion - this kit is an interesting one that looks as if it shall build up to a very pretty and unusual model. I have only just started building it and it has caused few problems other than the slightly misfitting wheel well components - but we shall see how it goes.
David Harvey
Editor
Aussie Modeller International

http://www.aussiemodeller.com.au
admin
Site Admin