On Target Decals “Air Forces of the World - Part 2" 1/72

Member's Area Reviews Air related reviews
An area for reviews of all item specifically air related.

On Target Decals “Air Forces of the World - Part 2" 1/72

Postby TonyP » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:37 am

Air-Graphics Models On Target Decals “Air Forces of the World RAF & Commonwealth Training Aircraft – Part 2” in 1/72

The fifth decal release from Air-Graphics Models based in the UK is entitled “Air Forces of the World RAF & Commonwealth Training Aircraft – Part 2”. This is a follow on from their hugely popular Part 1 set. There are not as many aircraft types in this set compared to Part 1 with the Hawk T2/127/155 being the majority of options. As this review will focus on the Australian subjects, for interest there are two schemes for RAF Hawk T2s, a Canadian 155, RAF Squirrel and Tucano in an anniversary Spitfire scheme. Finally close to home is a New Zealand Macchi MB-339 of 14 Squadron.
On receiving the decals, the cover sheet shows examples of what subjects are covered. At the top are the fetching colourful schemes worn by the Hawks and Macchi. The first being the black topped 76 Squadron Hawk 127 that debuted at the Avalon Airshow in 2003. The instructions state this is for the 60th anniversary of the squadron but I do not think this is correct as the squadron formed in 1942. The 2nd is the 60th Anniversary scheme for 79 Squadron which was unveiled in 2003. The last RAAF scheme is for the 50th Anniversary Macchi MB-326 of 76 squadron that was seen in 1992. On opening the 12 page booklet each subject has its own page with profiles, decal placements and colour guides. There is a loose page added which states it is an amendment sheet for the 79 Squadron hawk. The amendment appears to be in relation to the red/maroon colour call out. There are a few pages dedicated to some reference photos that give you a rough idea of what your subject should look like.
To the decals themselves which are printed this time by Fantasy Printshop (part 1 was via Cartograf). The colours are vibrant and in register. Due to the amount of schemes on one B4 sheet, there are no complete set of stencils provided. Only stencils that have been changed due to the non-standard colours in that location have been supplied. Unfortunately you can only do one of the hawk schemes as there is only one set of under wing grey roundels. The metallic decals are a standout and the gold for 79 squadron is quite fetching.
To sum up I am impressed with the quality of the decals on the sheet and the schemes provided. There are a number of none Australian schemes I would also like to tackle, especially the New Zealand Macchi.
The set retails for £15 (approx AU$27) which includes postage and can be found on their website http://www.air-graphics.co.uk/index.html
I’d like to thank Gary Madgwick for the review sample.

Join us at Modelling the RAAF, RAN and AAAvn
https://www.facebook.com/groups/836070456430404/
TonyP
Devotee

Re: On Target Decals “Air Forces of the World - Part 2" 1/72

Postby qfa_tsv » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:17 pm

I must be holding my tongue the wrong way, I can't find that decal sheet on the site listed,
Is it actually available yet or a future release?
Graeme
qfa_tsv
Devotee