Air-Graphics Models CH-47 Chinook Engine Sand Filters in 1/7

Member's Area Reviews Air related reviews
An area for reviews of all item specifically air related.

Air-Graphics Models CH-47 Chinook Engine Sand Filters in 1/7

Postby TonyP » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:21 pm

Searching the World Wide Web for suitable sand filters for a Chinook Helicopter I discovered a company by the name of Air-Graphic Models. A relatively new manufacturer on the scene that is based in the UK that only dabbles in 1/72 scale.
Sand Filters or Dustbin filters were employed on CH-47D Chinooks during their service within the Afghanistan Conflict from 2007 to 2013. As the name suggests, these filters were added to the front of the engine intakes to remove sand from damaging them.
The set arrives in sturdy plastic packaging. There is one page of instructions printed on A4 paper. The filters are cast in pale yellow resin and there is not much clean up needed. The detail on the filters is superb and so fine. Some of the best I have seen casted in resin.
To fit the filters you are required to remove the front intakes with a razor saw. You also need to provide the rails that the filters slide back and forward on. Some thin plasticard rod is required.
This set is designed to fit the Italeri/Airfix boxing of the D model Chinook. Their website suggests that a set for the Trumpeter kit is forthcoming. In the coming months I will see if this can be installed on Trumpeters kit. These could also be used for the F model Chinook. The filters look exactly the same but there are pictures of F models running around with new exhaust suppressors. They seem to run with a combination of no filters/suppressors or filters only. Again check your references but there doesn’t appear to be any right or wrong way.
To sum up I am impressed with the quality of the resin parts. The set retails for £6.50 (approx AU$12) which includes postage and can be found on their website http://www.air-graphics.co.uk/index.html
I’d like to thank Gary Madgwick for the review sample
Join us at Modelling the RAAF, RAN and AAAvn
https://www.facebook.com/groups/836070456430404/
TonyP
Devotee