Air-Graphics Models On Target Decals “Air Forces of the Worl

Member's Area Reviews Air related reviews
An area for reviews of all item specifically air related.

Air-Graphics Models On Target Decals “Air Forces of the Worl

Postby TonyP » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:02 pm

Air-Graphics Models On Target Decals “Air Forces of the World Update Set – Part 1” in 1/72
A relatively new manufacturer on the scene is Air-Graphics Models based in the UK. Mainly focused on UK/European subjects, they do dabble in other air arms and have a leaning towards Australian subjects. They have released a few decal sheets and also offer resin accessories/conversions. In the pipeline are also a few plastic kits. Their website shows an ambitious to be released list which is of interest to modelers of Australian subjects. All products are in 1/72 scale and as their website proclaims “The Only True Scale”.
The third release in their “On Target Decals” range is an Air Forces of the World Update Set of which this is Part 1. There are a variety of subjects ranging from helicopters, training aircraft and an aggressor for hire Skyhawk. My review will focus on the Australian Aircraft but for some of our cousins over the Tasman there is an option for a New Zealand T-6C Texan II in the fetching all black scheme.
On receiving the decals, the cover sheet shows examples of what subjects are covered. At the top is the RAAF Hornet with the 30 year anniversary Red tail and the current scheme for the Hawk Lead In Fighter. On opening the 20 page booklet we are given three choices of Hawk schemes. The current standard scheme as mentioned with 79 and 76 Squadron badges on separate sides of the fin, the original 76 Squadron scheme and the short lived trial all over gunship grey. The booklet is B4 size, full colour and a page is set aside for each subject with four profiles. The images are clear and well thought out and the instructions give recommended kits, accessories, paint colours and notes. There are a few pages dedicated to some reference photos that give you a rough idea of what your subject should look like.
To the decals themselves. They are printed by Cartograf in Italy who are well known for their quality. The colours are vibrant and in register. Due to the amount of schemes on one B4 sheet, there are no stencils provided. These are called out in the instructions to use the kit ones. There are enough Hawk decals to do two versions if one desires. The 30 Year Anniversary Hornet decals are vibrant and the red areas for inside the tail fins are provided. On closer inspection there is a glaring error, both Roos that go in the “30” on the tail are travelling in the same direction. This translates to poor old Skippy facing the wrong way on the Starboard side. Unfortunately there is no way around this unless you can find a Kangaroo the same size going the other way and painting over with white the backward roo. Hopefully a correction is in the works. This error is also duplicated in the instructions.
To sum up I am impressed with the quality of the decals on the sheet and the schemes provided. There are a number of none Australian schemes I would also like to tackle. Especially some of the Texan II ones are very appealing. It’s unfortunate it is let down by a major flaw.
The set retails for £15 (approx AU$27) which includes postage and can be found on their website http://www.air-graphics.co.uk/index.html
I’d like to thank Gary Madgwick for the review sample. Gary has also graciously provided some resin accessories which I will review in the coming days.
Join us at Modelling the RAAF, RAN and AAAvn
https://www.facebook.com/groups/836070456430404/
TonyP
Devotee

Re: Air-Graphics Models On Target Decals “Air Forces of the

Postby Calum » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:36 am

Pity he's not interested in 1/48.. I have many of his early model alliance sheets in that scale . I like that he does subjects from countries other than the US/UK, there's not many other manufactures that do that sort of stuff, particularly modern subjects.
Calum
Devotee

Re: Air-Graphics Models On Target Decals “Air Forces of the

Postby Rabbit Leader » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:06 am

Thanks for another well written and detailed review Tony.
I also appreciate the Air graphics link and agree that their future catalogue looks quite impressive.

Cheers.. Dave
Rabbit Leader
Devotee