HobbyBoss 1/48 Bae Hawk 127 RAAF

Member's Area Reviews Air related reviews
An area for reviews of all item specifically air related.

HobbyBoss 1/48 Bae Hawk 127 RAAF

Postby TonyP » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:16 pm

The subject of this review is the 1/48 Hawk 127 of HobbyBoss released in 2016. This is the fourth in a series of Hawk kits released by this manufacturer. Starting with the mk-1 all the way to the 200.
In the box there are 13 sprues with most in a separate bag. The canopy has been wrapped in light foam and is also in its own bag. A nice way to stop any scratches. There is also a small Photo etch set, black & white instructions, colour placement guide and decals.
On closer inspection of the parts break down there are some glaring errors. This is probably due to HobbyBoss trying to make many variants with as little tooling as possible. For example the wings are from a Mk.1. The tail fin is in a separate bag and copies the Airfix example from a few years back with the box like structure above the brake chute housing. So on to the list of problems I can see:
• Wrong tail fin (best to buy the -100 kit to get the right tail)
• Wing – requires removal of the three smaller fences. The larger one should be more inboard. Small outer fence missing. There are 9 vortex generators on the kit wing where there should be 15.
• Wrong colour call out for the Red on the 60 year 79 Squadron jet
Apart from the obvious mistakes there are some good points:
• Nose sections looks right
• Cockpit details are close to what’s in the real thing.
• The rivet detail at the rear of the fuselage is well moulded.
• The decals look great for the RAAF schemes included.
There are four marking options:
• 76 Squadron black panther scheme Avalon Airshow 2003
• Original 76 Squadron two tone grey scheme
• Original 79 Squadron two tone grey scheme
• 79 Squadron 60 year anniversary “UP-U” scheme
Errors aside this is a lovely kit but there is an opportunity for an aftermarket company to fix these. If you are not worried about the decal options and want to use aftermarket, I would recommend buying the 100 kit to get the correct tail as a starting point. In saying that the kit is a far cry from the old airfix kit and easier than using the rare to find High Planes and R&R models conversions. As mentioned in my Ronin Graphics review, it looks like they will produce an aftermarket set to deal with the tail and other areas I did not pick up on my view of the kit.

here is a pic of the tail in the 100 kit for reference.
Join us at Modelling the RAAF, RAN and AAAvn
https://www.facebook.com/groups/836070456430404/
TonyP
Devotee

Re: HobbyBoss 1/48 Bae Hawk 127 RAAF

Postby DesTROYer » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:39 pm

Thanks. I did read somewhere in the last few days that a aftermarket set to correct for a RAAF Hawk, is not far away. Can't remember where I read it. Probably Facebook or here. I look forward to building it.
DesTROYer
Devotee

Postby AndrewPerren » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:48 pm

Thanks for the review Tony. Saved me $70.
Regards

Andrew P (A1)
AndrewPerren
Devotee

Postby Zaggy » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:12 am

The tailpipe is short too... There is a correction set in the works, which looked pretty good so far to my eye.

D
Zaggy
Devotee

Postby Calum » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:20 am

I had heard mentioned that this kit doesn't scale out to 1/48 either. Anyone else heard any mention of that?
Calum
Devotee

Postby Motty » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:58 am

Calum wrote:I had heard mentioned that this kit doesn't scale out to 1/48 either. Anyone else heard any mention of that?

G'day Calum,

Yes, I've heard similar things (from a guy very knowledgeable in the subject too) that the fuselage is over-scale. Something like they'd taken the overall length, which includes the pitot probe, and applied it to the fuselage only (i.e. without the pitot probe).

Probably not noticeable by itself, but it would stand out if placed alongside other manufacturer's kits.

Something else I noticed when I had a look at one was that the layout of the nose access panels is all wrong which, given the nice, fine panel lines, would be tricky to rescribe nicely to match the existing details.

Cheers,
Motty.
Motty
Devotee