Special Hobby Hawker Sea Fury FB-11 In box review

Member's Area Reviews Air related reviews
An area for reviews of all item specifically air related.

Special Hobby Hawker Sea Fury FB-11 In box review

Postby venomvixen » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:51 pm

Special hobbies Sea Fury in 72nd scale consists of 40 injection molded parts, 5 in resin and 2 vac formed canopies.
The injection molded parts feature nicely engraved panel lines and are reasonably accurate although I'm not entirely happy with the exhaust outlet area.

The resin parts give the builder the cockpit tub, gear well stick and cockpit bulkhead/headrest. These are nicely detailed. The gear well is missing the myriad of pipelines that are present in the real thing. The simple addition of some fuse wire will rectify this detail.

The canopies are clear and blemish free.

The instructions are pictorial and more than adequate

3 marking options are given;

VR943 of 801 Squadron HMS Glory 1952

The almost mandatory WJ232 Mig killer

Sea Fury FB51 of 860 Squadron Koniklijke marine 1952.

Once again those seeking a RAN option will have to find their own markings, Novascale do make a set.

Like the Firefly this kit isn't a shake and bake. Some P/E would have been nice as would an injection molded canopy.
A vast improvement over the elderly Frog kit and far better than the PM/Airfix and Trumpeter efforts.
Recommended

Review kit courtesy of my credit card.
Dannielle Lang
venomvixen
Devotee

Re: Special Hobby Hawker Sea Fury FB-11 In box review

Postby iwragg » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:50 pm

Looks good, but I would still like to replace those roundels no matter what version is done. The red just appears a little too light for my liking. It appears to have good detail
iwragg
Devotee