Special Hobby Fairey Firefly 4/5- In box reveiw

Member's Area Reviews Air related reviews
An area for reviews of all item specifically air related.

Special Hobby Fairey Firefly 4/5- In box reveiw

Postby venomvixen » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:58 pm

Special Hobbies 1/72 scale Fairey Firefly consists of 43 short run injection molded parts, 3 in injected clear plastic 45 resin parts and a small photo etched sheet.
The injection molded parts have fine engraved detail but are rough around the edges and will require some clean up. anyone familiar with limited run kits will have no problems here. Smaller details like the propellor blades and gear legs are covered in flash and will need some careful clean up. Gear doors are over scale and will be best replaced with plastic sheet. The cut outs for the exhausts appear to large and may need to be shimmed.

The resin parts include both cockpits and the gear wells. the parts are extremely well detailed.

The P/E fret has a detailed instrument panel, exhaust glare shields and other smaller details.

The clear sprue gives two pilots canopies, one for the earlier Mark 1 Firefly and one for this variant.
Both the pilots and observers canopies are one piece which is odd given the amount of detail in both cockpits.

The instructions are both clear and concise. Three decal options are supplied;
FR4 from the Dutch marine air force 1959
FR 5 from 821 Squadron Royal Navy 1953
AS5 from 880 squadron HMCS Magnificent. 1951

Those wishing to build an RAN example will have to find their own markings.

Overall the kit is accurate and a vast improvement over the ancient Airfix offering. The intake under the propellor has been missed but can easily be cut out. Test fitting of the major parts show some fettleing will be needed but no more so than other limited run kits.
Other than the one piece canopies and the missing intake the kit will build into a decent replica.

Review kit courtesy of my credit card.
Dannielle Lang
venomvixen
Devotee

Re: Special Hobby Fairey Firefly 4/5- In box reveiw

Postby David E » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:20 am

Terrific review Danni. I was lucky enough to score the taget tug boxing of one of these in a club raffle a few years back and have only given it a cursory look. I have the Halo decals sheet and plan to tackle a HMAS Sydney Korean War example when I get to it.

On a bit of a 77 Sqn RAAF kick at present, might be time to tackle some FAA examples after that with all this current talk of such things.
I'm not older than dirt, but I do remember when it was new.
David E
Devotee

Postby jvenables » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:53 pm

Good review, thanks Danni.

FYI, there is a version of this kit getting around (Southern Sky Models, I think) that includes an extra decal sheet with RAN markings. I understand that the additional decal sheet only includes one aircraft though.
jvenables
Devotee

Postby Forlornhope » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:41 pm

I built the mk I version of this it looks great finished. there is a decal sheet which has a couple of RAN Firelies (including the target tug version) but will have to wait till I get home to check which ones and who makes it(I'm on holidays at the moment) I'll post more next week.
Forlornhope
Devotee

Postby jvenables » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:41 pm

Forlornhope wrote:there is a decal sheet which has a couple of RAN Firelies (including the target tug version)

You're probably thinking of the AeroMaster sheet #72-187, which contains markings for 7 aircraft including:

Firefly AS.5 WB313 of RAN 817 Sqn, on HMAS Sydney when on duty off Korea in 1953;
Firefly TT.6 WB518 of RAN 725 Sqn, at Nowra in 1958.

AeroMaster also make a sheet full of Mk.I Fireflies (#72-194), with markings for 8 aircraft; all RN and RCN examples.
jvenables
Devotee

Postby hueyf1 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:55 pm

help I am trying to find pictures and line placement on the Malcolm G-Type Mk II wind driven winch found on the firefly tt6 sr# WD 828 (google)
thank you
hp
hueyf1