Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III “S for Sugar” in 1/72

Member's Area Reviews Air related reviews
An area for reviews of all item specifically air related.

Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III “S for Sugar” in 1/72

Postby TonyP » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:56 pm

Everyone knows Lancaster G for George that resides at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra. Not as well known but of equal or greater significance is “S for Sugar”. It was the first Lancaster to complete 100 missions and ended up with 137 total missions which was the 2nd highest achieved. It now resides at the RAF museum in London. S for Sugar was part of 467 Squadron that was an RAAF Squadron based in the UK. Originally the aircraft had a naked lady as nose art which was deemed to be too risqué by the brass due to the attention it was gathering the closer it got to 100 missions. The decision was made to remove the young lady and replace it with Herman Goering’s statement that ‘No enemy plane will fly over the Reich territory’. A cheeky arrow points from this to the tally of missions.
Airfix have been churning our Lancaster kits since 1958. An updated new tool kit was introduced in 2013 and hailed as a major improvement. This is the seventh incarnation and the markings include S for Sugar as mentioned above and LM624 DX-A of 57 Squadron RAF. This aircraft was lost without trace on 6 November 1944. Although not part of an RAAF squadron, this aircraft does have a connection as most of the crew were Australian. The colourful tail denotes this as a “lead” aircraft.
The 236 plastic parts are contained on six sprues. Five are in the grey, newer type, plastic that Airfix have been using for the past few years. The detail is very crisp and I could only find a couple or areas where there was flash that needs to be removed. On first inspection the panel lines look a tad deep but should soften a bit under a few layers of paint. The bomb bay and wheel well detail is a stand out and would be a shame to display the model with these areas closed up. The main wheels also have a subtle bulge as seen when the aircraft is stationary. No need for aftermarket weighted wheels. The final sprue is for all the clear parts. I see no distortion on these but as they have a lot of framing, I would recommend a masking set to help paint these.
Finally the last items are the decals and instruction booklet. The decals are of good quality and in register. I noticed a decal that looked like aeronautical charts. I checked the instructions and indeed it is, for placement on the Navigator’s bench. You should just be able to see this through the class behind the pilot. A nice touch. The instructions are 23 pages in length and are in black and white. It looks straight forward with nothing confusing. Also included is an A3 double sided colour and decal placement guide. One aircraft each side with colours called out in Humbrol colours.
In conclusion this is a great looking kit in the box. My only complaint would be the lack of weapons to put into the bomb bay. To remedy this you could buy an aftermarket set or all that you require is included in Airfix’s A05330 WWII RAF Bomber Re-supply Set.
Another great release from Airfix and a subject that will appeal to all modellers that are interested in Australian subjects. I would like to thank Airfix and Southern Hobbies for my “first” review sample.

Join us at Modelling the RAAF, RAN and AAAvn
https://www.facebook.com/groups/836070456430404/
TonyP
Devotee

Re: Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III “S for Sugar” in 1/72

Postby dogsbody » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:23 am

The photos are not viewable. Is the link broken?

Chris
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"
dogsbody
Beginner

Postby TonyP » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:44 pm

I'm not sure what has happened. Here is the link to the review:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/8360704 ... 791299060/
Join us at Modelling the RAAF, RAN and AAAvn
https://www.facebook.com/groups/836070456430404/
TonyP
Devotee

Postby DesTROYer » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:55 am

Thanks for the review Tony, I think I shall have to add that to the stash.
DesTROYer
Devotee