OzMods 1/144 Bristol 170 Freighter Mk31

Member's Area Reviews Air related reviews
An area for reviews of all item specifically air related.

OzMods 1/144 Bristol 170 Freighter Mk31

Postby TonyP » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:51 pm

The Bristol Freighter first flew in December 1945. It served in many Air Forces and Airlines throughout the world. Production ceased in 1956 with the 214th example. In Australia the aircraft was used by the RAAF and civilian operators including Ansett-ANA, TAA and Air Express. Today only 12 intact examples survive. Two are kept in Victoria Australia. One a Mk.21 of the RAAF and the other a Mk.31 that finished its career with Air Express in 1989.
The kit by Oz Mods come is a very sturdy top opening box. There are four sprues of parts in white injected plastic. There is minimal flash and the panel lines are subtle and suitable to scale. The idea of having the sprue for the propellers in their own bag backed with sturdy cardboard is a great idea. The instructions sheet is printed on A4 and at first glance looks easy to understand.
The last bag contains a vacform clear plastic sheet with two canopies, an injected clear plastic canopy and two resin plugs for the backside of the propellers. The kit gives your three options which I absolutely love. The fuselage parts have the cockpit windows molded in white plastic. If you want to leave it and use decals you can. If you want to show off the cockpit, you can remove this area and attach a vacform clear piece. If, like 90% of modellers, the thought of vacform scares you, there is the injected canopy to use. I applaud OzMods for including these options. The airliner model fraternity always has the two tribes of decals windows v clear. Unfortunately for the clear side, the fuselage windows are decals but this does not quell my enthusiasm.
Lastly there are a small sheet of silk screen decals printed by Ronin Graphics. My review example is the boxing for the civilian operators of Safe Air of New Zealand and British United of the UK. The entire red portion of the Safe Air scheme is decal. No need to paint apart from the white top and grey undersides. Same applies for the British United scheme. The blue areas are decals saving on the need for additional paint. The decals are vivid and dense in colour and I can’t see any printing issues.
The other boxing available at this time has decals for the military Mk.31s of the RNZAF and RAF. Future releases are planned for the RAAF Mk.21 which includes a resin replacement for the fin and tail planes. Hopefully with the release of the RAAF Mk.21 we will also get some Australian civilian schemes.
The kit retails for AU$49.50 and can be purchased here:
http://www.ozmods-kits.com/aircraft-kits-1144
A good history of the Bristol Freighter in Australia can be found here:
http://www.goodall.com.au/australian-av ... ol170.html
I’d like to thank OzMods for my review sample.
Join us at Modelling the RAAF, RAN and AAAvn
https://www.facebook.com/groups/836070456430404/
TonyP
Devotee