Tamiya Light-Curing Putty

Member's Area Reviews
An area for modellers to do reviews on all things modelling related.

Tamiya Light-Curing Putty

Postby fjs » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:25 pm

Hi all,
This is a quick review of the Tamiya Light-Curing Putty. I bought this at my local hobby shop (The Hobbyman, Fountain Gait) last week for $30. Officially the most expensive putty filler I have ever bought! but never the less I thought I would give it a go.

lcp1.jpg
lcp1.jpg (57.22 KiB) Viewed 405 times

First thoughts were ones of utter disappointment. when I applied the putty, using a toothpick, to a model, and set it under a fluoro desk light, went had lunch, came back, and the putty hadn't dried :x . Call me impatient but this putty is meant to dry in 2-5 minutes and I don't eat that quickly. So I put the model away and let it cure. 2 days later and the putty still hadn't cured. in the end I stripped of the still tacky putty and tried again.
This time I tried a different approach. I put a very small amount of putty on the seem of my model using the flat end of a Tamiya stirring stick, then held the surface of the model no more than 2cm from a halogen light for about 2 minutes. YAY, it was dry :D. it dried much harder than my normal putty ( Humbrol putty filler ) and it didn't shrink, or not that I noticed.

lcp2.jpg
lcp2.jpg (32.48 KiB) Viewed 405 times

Once sanded and buffed, and after scribing any lost panel marks, it came up quite nice nice!

lcp3.jpg
lcp3.jpg (27.62 KiB) Viewed 405 times

Conclusion: I found this putty to be perfect for filling small gaps on my 1/72 Airfix Lancaster, once I got the hang of it offcourse, and I would recommend it. When it comes down to it though, you are paying extra for a shorter drying time, so it is up to you whether it is actually worth it.

fjs
On the bench:
Airfix 1/72 p 51d Mustang

motivation/advice for modelers:
"Better is the end of a thing than its beginning, and the patient in spirit is better than the proud in spirit."
fjs
Devotee

Re: Tamiya Light-Curing Putty

Postby Zaggy » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:32 pm

So if I may ask, what was your conclusion as to why it wasn't curing initially?

I stopped using the normal Tamiya filler years back when i bought a tube of the grey stuff and it was like liquid - got better once it was really kneaded, but never got to the same consistency as the exact same tube it replaced. I now use Squadron Green (mixed with a dash of acetone when it needs thinning or 'bite', and Milliput - BUT they're both at the extremes (Green is very soft, Milliput is very hard), and something in the middle, that dries in good time, would be much welcome!

Cheers fjs

D
Zaggy
Devotee

Postby brad » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:19 am

Given that it needs light to cure, does this mean it doesn't go hard in the tube? It might cost more per tube but if you get to use most of the tube and not throw half of it away, it might be worthwhile.

cheers,

bj
I also collect Australian war medals. Get in touch if you would like to know something about a group you might have or if you have some you would like to dispose of.
brad
Devotee

Postby fjs » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:18 pm

Hi boys,
I think the reason it didn't dry was i applied it too thick. this putty was designed to dry in light, the thicker the layer of putty the harder it is for the light to penetrate the whole mass of putty. it is about the consistency of toothpaste and has stayed that way in the tube since i got it about two months ago. i wouldn't use this putty for filling large wholes and large gaps, but rather small seem lines that you want done very quickly. i hope this was helpful and since i have it, if you would like me to do any experiments with it if you want to know anything specific before you spend the money. i can try my best.

thanks, fjs
On the bench:
Airfix 1/72 p 51d Mustang

motivation/advice for modelers:
"Better is the end of a thing than its beginning, and the patient in spirit is better than the proud in spirit."
fjs
Devotee

Postby DesTROYer » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:59 pm

There are many types of fluorescent light. Maybe the spectrum of light your particular lamps were throwing out did not have enough UV in them, something that the halogen lamp has heaps of. If it's anything like the UV hardening filler dentists use for teeth these days, it requires a strong UV light source. Get some UV lamps such as those used at night clubs and bug zappers. They are available in both fluorescent and globe form. Wear sunglasses while using them for extended periods of time as the UV light is bad for your eyes.

Trust me I'm an electrician. :D
DesTROYer
Devotee