Painting spinner stripes

Member's Area Hints and Tips Airbrushing and painting
An area for members to pass on any hint's and tips relating to airbrushing and painting of model related subjects.

Painting spinner stripes

Postby hrtpaul » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:00 am

Ok guys and girls. I need to know how I go about painting spinner stripes on a P-51 like in the following pic. Ta in advance :)

Brother: Do you really need that many Phantoms?
Me: Don't make me kick you outta the shed for asking dumb questions
Brother: But are you gonna build all these models?
Me: Yeah of course I am. Now get outta my shed

#1 F-4 Phantom Phanatic
hrtpaul
Devotee

Re: Painting spinner stripes

Postby qfa_tsv » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:03 am

Well I do pity you. First thing I would advise is to choose a colour scheme that doesn't require striped spinners, but if you have your heart set on one, this is my take.

The only method I have used that was marginally effective was to put masking tape over the spinner, where the stripe would be, I used wide Tamiya tape cut in a semi circle to get the whole spinner covered, trimmed the bottom carefully to get a smooth plastic base, put the spinner on a piece of glass, then took a scalpel with a new blade and placed it on different washers and other flat metal at both the blade end and the end of the handle until it was shimmed up to the height of the first edge, you then slowly turn the spinner cutting the tape, then adjusted for next, etc, you will cut the plastic too, but it doesn't really show at all, remove the bit you want to paint and spray away.
Hard part is keeping the stripes even, as the old Jewish tailors saying goes measure twice cut once.

I did it for a Korean War RAAF Mustang with the roundel colours on the spinner, only took about 4 hours I think.

A man of you bore and stroke though could easily construct something more scientific, and sell it to all us other modellers. :D ;)
Graeme
qfa_tsv
Devotee

Postby Antoney Wilkinson » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:05 pm

Gents I'd be inclined to paint the base colour. Following that I'd cut the appropriate size stripes of Tamiya tape and apply these burnishing down the edges all the while ensuring the appropriate spacing. Dont allow too much doubling up of the tape so as to not create large ridges of paint. Then a quick and very light coat of the same base colour before a few light coats and I mean light coats of the top colour. Allow to dry for a while and then peel the tape off pulling it back on itself.

I haven't done this for a while as I don't do too much prop stuff but it works... If I can help with a picture or two let me know. I'll grab a spinner from the spares box and give it a whirl when next I paint some light and dark camo....

Cheers,
Antoney Wilkinson
Devotee

Postby asho77 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:39 pm

You think this is hard...try doing checkerboard patterns!!

I'd say put it on a toothpick/matchstick etc on a turn table...like the Tamiya modelling one,and slowly pull your brush down as you turn the table by hand. Stop when you run low on paint,go back to the pot,run the brush against the end gently to remove exess paint then reapply the rest of the stripe. I'd also use a fairly new rounded bristle brush of a very high quality bristle as well as they will be more flexible and forgiving.
asho77
Devotee

Postby Zaggy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:05 am

Masking tape and compass cutter - might take some trial and error, but sooner or later you will find the right 'arc' (or if you want the math, go look up cutting conic sections). A short cut is to wrap your spinner in masking tape for each line (taking care to preserve the cone), with the line of contact pretty much mid spinner line... Draw in Pencil and approx circle, flatten the tape back out and use a result Pair of Compasses (with pencil) until you're close to your line... Then you can move on to the compass cutter and tape. For this part, I'd use a cutting board and mark a very distinct 'centrepoint' (because your tape probably wont be that close to it) or even try NOT to life the point of the compass cutter as you wind in/out for your next cut.

Does that make sense? It does in my mind!

D
Zaggy
Devotee

Postby billb » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:09 pm

I honestly haven't tried this and agree with qfa_tsv - pick another scheme :)

However, i've had success masking bomb noses and that sort of thing with 2 different methods:
Very thin tape strips actually do conform to the most complex of curves. I've got rolls of 0.4mm tape and 1.0mm tape which I use. It's the same sort of stuff as Tamiya's masking/kabuki tape. I got it from a stall at the ACT SMS show though so can;t help you with a source for getting it. You could also cut Tamiya tape down to width but it's difficult to get such a thin strip consistently.
If you can draw the stripes on accurately (maybe using qfa's washers or asho's turntable methods) you then mask each edge with the thinnest strip of tape you have and burnish the edge right down. Fill in the middle with wider, overlapping strips, coat of future to assist with reducing paint getting under the edge and then spray the stripes carefully.

The other option i've used is to try and get the right shape for the stripe as a mask - similar to Zaggy's approach, but I cheat.
If you can find a decal sheet for a mustang that has spinner stripes (possibly even an online scan of the sheet?) and scan and print it at the right scale you should be able to use that as a template for cutting a mask for the stripe (I've done this with stripes for bomb noses where the decal sheet had decals for the bomb stripe)
billb
Devotee