Gloss clear coat "re-activating" underlying paint

Member's Area Hints and Tips Airbrushing and painting
An area for members to pass on any hint's and tips relating to airbrushing and painting of model related subjects.

Gloss clear coat "re-activating" underlying paint

Postby Buckshot » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:19 pm

So I've only just come back to modelling after ~20 odd years (and only dabbling previously).

Am using an airbrush for the first time and ran into an issue with the Alclad II Klear Gloss Lacquer. When I sprayed it on my first project it left the surface very tacky, tried all sorts of tricks but it never fully set. I did find that there were a number of others this has happened to, however on talking with Alclad, we came to the conclusion that the issue is that the paint underneath is re-activating and causing the problem.

Wondering why this would be and what I can do to prevent this? My initial project was using Mr Colour Lacquer based paints, however I have also tried this with Tamiya Acrylics. Am I just applying it too thick or something along those lines?
Buckshot
Beginner

Re: Gloss clear coat "re-activating" underlying paint

Postby brad » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:52 pm

Having had trouble with spraying one sort of paint over another in the past, I like to leave such overcoats for a couple of weeks to let the first coat "degas" before I apply the next colour or clear. Might be part of the problem at least.

cheers,

bj
I also collect Australian war medals. Get in touch if you would like to know something about a group you might have or if you have some you would like to dispose of.
brad
Devotee

Re: Gloss clear coat "re-activating" underlying paint

Postby Buckshot » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:03 pm

Sounds like it. I can't remember for certain how long I left it but thought it was at least 24-48 hrs. Sounds like I need tho give it MUCH more time.
Buckshot
Beginner