Help with windsheilds

Member's Area Hints and Tips Modelling
An area for members to pass on Hint's and Tips for other members.

Help with windsheilds

Postby Lurch » Sun May 18, 2014 11:02 pm

One part I've always struggled with is doing the bars around a planes windshield.
I dont have the worlds steadiest hand, but I'm not completely horrible. But there has to be a better way of doing it other than a really tiny brush and a hand of steel?
Lurch
Beginner

Re: Help with windsheilds

Postby DesTROYer » Sun May 18, 2014 11:46 pm

Tamiya masking tape, a bright light and a sharp blade.

Or buy the eduard mask sets if available for your subject.
DesTROYer
Devotee

Postby Lurch » Sun May 18, 2014 11:51 pm

Ok, so tape and cut?
Lurch
Beginner

Postby DesTROYer » Mon May 19, 2014 5:53 am

Cut the tape into thin strips and follow the canopy lines with it, then fill in the spaces with bigger bits of tape. Burnish the edges down with a tooth pic to make sure it seals.

There are numerous tutorials on the subject on YouTube.
DesTROYer
Devotee

Postby bg_451 » Wed May 21, 2014 11:52 pm

Make sure you use very thin tape (thin in terms of flatness, not width!), e.g. Tamiya or any other similar type. Don't try to use standard masking tape from Bunnings (white, blue, purple or otherwise), as it just won't work properly ....
Cheers and happy modelling,
John

There's someone in my head but it's not me
bg_451
Devotee

Postby David E » Thu May 22, 2014 8:25 am

On many of my builds I'll paint some decal sheet the appropriate colour, slice into strips and apply to the framing. For common colours such as black, silver, red, blue, white I can usually find a big enough chunk of decal to cut up. Works for striping elsewhere on the model too. Some decal solvent is usually required, and sealing the ends of each strip of decal with varnish or future is useful too.
I'm not older than dirt, but I do remember when it was new.
David E
Devotee

Postby harvs73 » Thu May 22, 2014 11:09 am

There are a few main methods for masking caopies that I know of:
- Using a masking fluid eg Humbrol Maskol and paint it over the clear parts of the canopies.
- Using thin tape cut to fit the canopies.

With the tape method there are a few methods you can use to achieve the end result:
- Using Tamiya tape or equivalent (I used to use Scotch tape) you put a piece over the whole section of the canopy, burnish it down then use a very sharp scalpel to cut out the frame sections. I only do a section at a time rather than try to do the whole canopy depending on the size and shape of the canopy eg He111 canopy gets done in sections.
- As described above you cut strips of tape and edge the frames then fill in the centre with larger bits of tape.
- Using a combination of methods you can use thin tape to edge the frames then use Maskol to fill in the centres.

As always it is trial and error and you will no doubt mess it up a few times, I know I did. :-)
David Harvey
Editor
Aussie Modeller International

Email: aussiemodeller@hotmail.com

http://www.aussiemodeller.com.au
harvs73
Devotee

Postby Lurch » Thu May 22, 2014 12:14 pm

Well, I tried the tape idea on the Zero and truly botched it :p
Never heard of this Humbrol Maskol; might investigate that :)

EDIT: OMG - thats brilliant! Where has that bean all my life? I could use that for all kinds of things, even on my bikes!
Lurch
Beginner

Postby DesTROYer » Thu May 22, 2014 12:41 pm

Dip your canopys in future floor polish or one of its alternatives before painting next time. No only will it make the clear parts clearer and sparkle, if you cock up the paint job, you can soak the canopy in windex overnight and the paint and future will come off and you should have a as good as new part. Re dip it in the future and start again.
DesTROYer
Devotee

Postby Lurch » Thu May 22, 2014 2:43 pm

Interesting concept - ta.

Had a look at a couple of how-to's and the Maskol seems easy enough. However it does seem to leave a rough edge. Any tips on that?
Lurch
Beginner

Next