How to: Mottle to decal a Luftwaffe a/c

Member's Area Hints and Tips Modelling
An area for members to pass on Hint's and Tips for other members.

How to: Mottle to decal a Luftwaffe a/c

Postby Nav76 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:09 pm

Ok,

I've been doing German aircraft for a fair while now due to my success in mottling for the first time. I had always been scared but once I did my first Fw-190 it all made sense. My success was due to reading and studying the techniques used to make mottling successful.

To make life easier for everyone, I used my latest Bf-109 build as a 'how to' mottle lesson for all out there, so here goes.

I always put a panel line paint down in order to assist the blending, particularly on lighter colours

I also made sure the nose and rudder sections were fiull black, to act as an undercoat for the yellow

First coat

Next step was the fuselage line. Masked up with blu tac, the idea is to get a soft edge to them further blend in with the same paint used for mottling

Paint applied to the top, you see the soft edge and also the hard lines between the two paint colours on the top, that was also applied on the wing surfaces

Mottling is on. Keep the paint THIN and the air pressure LOW, that allows great detail to be done with little overspray. The only paints I use are Gunze thinned with lacquer thinners, they dry quick and spray really nicely through my AZTEC airbrush using the fine nozzle (the only nozzle I ever use in the airbrush). You can also see how I have further softened the camo line running along the top of the fuselage with the same thinned mottling paint

The pressure gauge

Masked up for the yellow nose, plenty of tape required

The yellow on with some mottling further emphasised on the fwd fuselage

The nose. I tend to only manage to succeed with yellow in the AZTEC using high pressure and moderately thinned paint

Decals

The finished product

Relatively easy with practice and patience. There are plenty of other articles out there so be sure to have a look at them. And happy to answer any queries here if people wish to ask.

Thanks for looking.
Last edited by Nav76 on Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
On the Bench:
Eduard 1/48 La-7
Italeri 1/48 Mirage F-1C

Last completed:
Hasegawa 1/48 F4U-5N Corsair
Nav76
Devotee

Re: How to: Mottle to decal a Luftwaffe a/c

Postby billb » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:30 pm

hmmm, you make it look doable!
Bloody nice result.
billb
Devotee

Postby DesTROYer » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:20 pm

Great stuff mate. Thanks for the lesson. Bookmarked for future reference.
DesTROYer
Devotee

Postby tiger1944 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:39 pm

Thanks for the tutorial, I may overcome my fear and actually attempt one of these now..can't build tanks all the time!
tiger1944
Devotee

Postby Nav76 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:48 am

Glad the pics and brief outline of proceedings has been of benefit guys.
On the Bench:
Eduard 1/48 La-7
Italeri 1/48 Mirage F-1C

Last completed:
Hasegawa 1/48 F4U-5N Corsair
Nav76
Devotee

Postby RAAFBrat » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:11 pm

Just browsing around the forum & came across this little tute. Quite good & something I fluked recently on my Bf-110. Normally I'm terrified of Axis mottle camouflage & chicken out using the blutack method, which is what I did on the 110. However, after spraying the "Splinter" I decided to try my hand at freehanding it. After some experimentation I came to the same conclusions above - low pressure & thin paint. It's pretty easy to see the difference between the blutacked mottle (the dark grey) & the freehand (the light grey). ;)
Attachments
Bf-110 006.JPG
Bf-110 006.JPG (36.6 KiB) Viewed 684 times
Bf-110 009.JPG
Bf-110 009.JPG (39.11 KiB) Viewed 684 times
RAAFBrat
Devotee