Messed up. Pledge too thick. Runs....

Member's Area Hints and Tips Modelling
An area for members to pass on Hint's and Tips for other members.

Re: Messed up. Pledge too thick. Runs....

Postby GeneralJG » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:28 pm

Tried the methods suggested this evening but found the best to be the windex. I think because the runs were so BIG & they had dried a fair bit the adding more pledge method wasn't as successful. It still wasn't 100% successful though but my patience is waning.....

Many thanks for all suggestions!

Spooky I found mine a few years ago (Pledge One Go) at Coles in a larger regional store (not metro) so stocked up in anticipation of all the modelling I would be doing :roll:

So I should be doing two coats before decals? One coat is a bit rough & assume I'm looking for a smooth surface for the decals.

Great suggestion for a different airbrush for the pledge too. :)
John G.
GeneralJG
Devotee

Postby A30_737_AEW&C » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:07 am

I've also found more satisfactory results by brushing Future with a larger flat brush after my initial airbrushing failures with it. Windex is always the go for me in cleaning up after Future.
Alfred
Taking the system more seriously than the system takes itself

A30_737_AEW&C
Devotee

Postby AndrewDoppel » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:28 am

GeneralJG wrote:Tried the methods suggested this evening but found the best to be the windex. I think because the runs were so BIG & they had dried a fair bit the adding more pledge method wasn't as successful. It still wasn't 100% successful though but my patience is waning.....

Many thanks for all suggestions!

Spooky I found mine a few years ago (Pledge One Go) at Coles in a larger regional store (not metro) so stocked up in anticipation of all the modelling I would be doing :roll:

So I should be doing two coats before decals? One coat is a bit rough & assume I'm looking for a smooth surface for the decals.

Great suggestion for a different airbrush for the pledge too. :)

John,

If you look at my Porter and Bou builds, both of them have been done with Pledge One-Go. The Bou so far has had 4 coats on the upper surface and two on the lower. I intend to do two more on the lower surfaces so that I can run a wash thru the lines after decals. You want a fine mist when spraying it in this manner to get a perfect smooth coating.
Regards
Andrew Doppel

AMI Moderator
AndrewDoppel
Devotee

Postby TonyP » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:35 am

If it hasn't been mentioned before, use a wide brush is easier than airbrushing.
Join us at Modelling the RAAF, RAN and AAAvn
https://www.facebook.com/groups/836070456430404/
TonyP
Devotee

Postby GeneralJG » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:19 am

Thanks Andrew,

I've been playing with different thickness coats (& airbrush pressures) but always seem to have a rough surface instead of really smooth. Is this why you use the micro mesh?

I think I'm going to have to get myself a big brush & give it a go as well. It's just so easy to use the airbrush on the large areas though! Well.......unless you stuff it up.......... :?
John G.
GeneralJG
Devotee

Postby AndrewDoppel » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:43 pm

Yes John,

The micro mesh I have been told takes the roughness off the surface and leaves it smooth and has so far work fantastically! Light rubbing only though.
Regards
Andrew Doppel

AMI Moderator
AndrewDoppel
Devotee

Postby GeneralJG » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:25 pm

Bit grumpy.

Finally got to apply some decals to the B1. I've tried three so far & they've all broken up as I removed them from the backing sheet or water.

I've also sprayed a couple of thick coats of acrylic tamiya gloss clear over the sheet but still bad news. Fox One decals (microscale) probably a bit old.

Do I try more coats of clear or am I wasting my time?

Any other suggestions more than welcome!

John.
John G.
GeneralJG
Devotee

Postby A30_737_AEW&C » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:33 pm

John,

Before you attempt to apply any more decals, brush some of this stuff over the sheet you are using. Many hobby shops carry this stuff. It's available locally. I've used it many times, even over artwork I've photocopies or drawn onto decal paper. You will have to trim the decal right up close to the edge of the printed image before dunking it in water. The stuff dries quickly. I'd leave it overnight before dunking the decal. I've used a broad brush. Single overlapping strokes over the decal image/s. This reduces the risk of smearing the images (especially if they are home made decals). I've cleaned the brushes in a lacquer thinner. Windex will probably do the job also. In my experience water wasn't enough to clean the brushes properly.

Microscale Liquid Decal Film
liquiddecalfilm.jpg
liquiddecalfilm.jpg (15.29 KiB) Viewed 1336 times
Alfred
Taking the system more seriously than the system takes itself

A30_737_AEW&C
Devotee

Postby GeneralJG » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:41 pm

Thanks Alfred!

Got some on the way!
John G.
GeneralJG
Devotee

Postby GeneralJG » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:45 pm

Well I'm calling it finished. Many thanks to all for suggestions! :D

IMG_1292a.jpg
1/48 B-1B
IMG_1292a.jpg (177.09 KiB) Viewed 1260 times

I gave up any pretense of accuracy. The decals killed it for me. I tried scanning/printing my own & even finished some by masking & painting. Had fun though! :D The eduard pe exhausts took months to do & I only got the hang of them with the fourth (last) engine. Unfortunately there was so much super glue on them I decided to paint them & ended up with basically black exhausts. :( Also the Model Master flat clear acrylic turned out to be not very flat (not as good as the small amount of Polly Scale I had) so I didn't end up with the flat finish I wanted. Next time.....

Anyway.....finally finishing has spurred me on.....
1/350 Tamiya CVN-65 Enterprise (very long term), 1/32 Testors F-117 (supposedly quick build), maybe the 1/48 Academy F-111C from the cupboard of doom (scaledown flap set) & hopefully a 1/32 Trumpeter BAC Lightning F2A/F.6 (on the way from the Modelnerds men).

IMG_1291a.jpg
John's work area
IMG_1291a.jpg (252.86 KiB) Viewed 1260 times

Happy New Year!
John G.
GeneralJG
Devotee

PreviousNext