Messed up. Pledge too thick. Runs....

Member's Area Hints and Tips Modelling
An area for members to pass on Hint's and Tips for other members.

Messed up. Pledge too thick. Runs....

Postby GeneralJG » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:32 pm

Yep. Airbrushed it on way too thick. :roll: now I have runs & drips off the bottom of the fuselage (1/48 b-1b). Tried thinners on a rag & sort of works but takes paint too (tamiya acrylic). Bit grumpy - rushing & not thinking well. Can anyone suggest an easier method? Wand, spells etc.
It'll be at least 24 hours dry by the time I can get back to it now.
John G.
GeneralJG
Devotee

Re: Messed up. Pledge too thick. Runs....

Postby TOR » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:36 pm

Get a cotton wool ball, dip it in windex, and rub on the effected areas. Keep doing this until the Pledge re-liquifies, than wipe off excess. I wouldn't use thinners....just windex, (it's actually the ammonia in the Windex that does the job).
TOR
Last edited by TOR on Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TOR
Devotee

Postby _BlackHawk_ » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:40 pm

Windex or ammonia will strip future....I'd try windex first as it may not attack the paint where ammonia might.
Blackhawk's quote of the week:
"When someone tells you it cannot be done, it is more a reflection of their limitations, not yours."
_BlackHawk_
Devotee

Postby billb » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:01 pm

You might get lucky by actually putting MORE pledge on, and it won;t eat away the underlying paint. If things work a new, heavy coat will liquify the first coat and you can wick it away with paper towel.
If you can get to it then actually dipping the bad bit (like you do with canopies) for a minute or so will work and then you can wick the excess away. If you can;t dip it because of the shape of the fuselage then do it by brush, in small areas, but make it wet.
I've had a bit of success doing this with buildups in corners on canopies but certainly don;t guarantee it in your situation after 24+ hours.
Good luck!
billb
Devotee

Postby GeneralJG » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:04 pm

Thanks Lads!
Ok...I'll give it a go with more pledge then windex as plan B.
John G.
GeneralJG
Devotee

Postby skypilot » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:22 am

John,
I have done the same thing many times myself over the years. I find that I tend to use a broad brush now to apply pledge/future even though I use an airbrush for just about everything else. Pledge has excellent self-levelling properties.

Blue Windex will work if you are very careful although it will strip some fresh Acrylic Tamiya paint in a blink of the eye. I actually use it as an acrylic paint stripper and airbursh cleaner. How did I find out it was a good airbrush cleaner; By using it to strip Pledge off fresh acrylic paint. It is a very effective airbrush cleaner but I always run water through after wards because I’m led to believe ammonia will strip the chrome plating off the airbrush. I have never had it happen to me though.

Sometimes I even use blue Windex as an acrylic paint thinner if I have run out of all others.

I have used bilb’s method of using more pledge and dipping and it does work but be careful, Pledge also has ammonia in it and it may remove fresh acrylic paint as well if rubbed.

If you haven’t applied decals the quickest method is strip and repaint.

I hope that helps, other peoples mileage may vary.

Regards
Peter J
Last edited by skypilot on Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
skypilot
Devotee

Postby GeneralJG » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:35 am

Thanks Peter,

I have been finding the pledge is a bit harder to clean out of the airbrush than the tamiya acrylic so thats a good tip to use the windex rather than the expensive tamiya thinners.

I've got a feeling i'm going to end up repainting no matter what I do. I've made lots of mistakes (second time airbrushing a model) so its starting to look a bit.........er.........crappy. I'm also attempting freehand camouflage top & bottom. :lol:

This was the first coat of pledge over the paint before decals. I'm having probs with the physical size of the thing too. I love it & have really enjoyed building a big kit but........it's huge! And those swing wings are a PITA.

Anyway many thanks for the advice.
John G.
GeneralJG
Devotee

Postby bell209 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:36 pm

GeneralJG wrote:Thanks Peter,

I have been finding the pledge is a bit harder to clean out of the airbrush than the tamiya acrylic so thats a good tip to use the windex rather than the expensive tamiya thinners.

Go to Super Cheap Auto or Autobarn and grab a cheap airbrush like this http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__9295__Single_action_air_brush_set_.html?gclid=CLrFxNfNxrYCFeZcpgodKRgAhw or this http://compare.ebay.com.au/like/160588414239?ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes. I use the second type for Future (undiluted) and leave my better airbrushes for paint. Spray Windex through it when done and it's ready for your next use!
Rob

On the bench:
1/48 Westland Scout (converted from Fujimi Wasp)
1/48 Revell Tornado GR4 (from the IDS boxing)
bell209
Devotee

Postby billb » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:51 pm

skypilot wrote:John,
I find that I tend to use a broad brush now to apply pledge/future even though I use an airbrush for just about everything else. Pledge has excellent self-levelling properties.

+1
I always use a ~3/4" wide, decent quality brush to apply this stuff (apart from dunking canopies). Paint on a thin coat, watch out for runs (just wick them up with paper towel if you see one). Second/subsequent coat a few hours later depending on just how deep you want the shine. 2 thin coats are perfect for decalling. For a highly polished, lacquered wooden propeller, 4 or 5 coats with the last couple being thicker than the first couple.
The way it self levels means it's perfect for brush application and for me it's so much easier than messing around with cleaning the airbrush.
billb
Devotee

Postby spooky » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:03 pm

Good evening all,
Heard so much about this stuff but can not buy it any-where locally, I live about 3 hrs west of Bris-vegas and so local shopping is rather limited.There is a local Wollies ,a Bunnings about an hour away ,a couple of smaller grocery stores (IGA & Food works),two small hardwares and two pubs handy (1/2 hr).Please give me a hint as to the stores that stock it so as next time I go to town(Toowomba or Ipswich) I can buy some.
THANKS from the SPOOK
spooky
Beginner

Next