getting the right finish for metalised aircraft

Member's Area Hints and Tips Modelling
An area for members to pass on Hint's and Tips for other members.

getting the right finish for metalised aircraft

Postby B.T.M. » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:32 pm

Most of Korean conflict aircraft are natural metal finishes.I have read and seen pics that,
1. have black gloss undercoat. is it enamel or acrylic?
2.best paint for the metal.what type
3. gloss clear coat for decals.
4. dull clear coat to finish.
In the dark past alls we did was one coat of any thing we could find that would look right with some hidious results.
B.T.M.
Beginner

Re: getting the right finish for metalised aircraft

Postby Creative Models Australia » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:20 pm

Hi Robert,

Im no expert on metal finishes, but I'm sure there are some here that are. I have done a few metal finishes, to some good results.

Undercoats.
Experiment wth this one. I use a combination of gloss black, flat black, nato black, tyre black, gloss grey nd at times, any other colour on my bench. They all work great, and all offer different bases and finishes.

Best paint
The two I would highly reccomend is Modelmaster metalizers and Alclad. Both are great, and make sure you spray at very low pressure, no more then 5 psi or you will be sucking through alot of paint for no reason.
If you find any metalziers, let me know, becuase there not that easy to find at the moment.
Dont bother using the model mater thinner or sealer for metalizers, just a waste of time and money.

Gloss clear for decals.
Yep, pretty much always, ceptwhen your going over a gloss paint job. The gloss paint others a smooth finish, which helps with less air bubbles under the decal, which reults in not only silvering, but bubbles, and holes when using softner/setter etc.

Dull coat,
Depends on the finish you want. For something thats been in service a while, use a dull coat, for factory fresh o highly polished, use a gloss. You can also use gloss and matt on different panels.

Also experiment with mixing the colours. For example, a chrome might be too bright, and stainless to not enough, so bae coat with one, and lightly overspray with the other.

Access panels may also be a diferent colour to the airframe, due to handeling and replacement, as will the edges of th epanel, so again experiment with different colours/shades.

Another thing to play around with, is metalizers and colours. I love mixing metals with sa flat black, or hull red etc. This gives a more casted look to say an engine block, or a rusted cast look to an exhaust.

Hope this helps
Creative Models Australia
Devotee

Postby Nav76 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:10 am

Here are my thoughts:

Uncercoat: ALCLAD offered two undercoats a few years back, unknown if they are still available. One is a fine Mr Surfacer type product that fills all your small divets and leaves a nice surface for spraying, and a gloss black overcoat to put down before the silver goes over it.

Paints: I have had some luck using ALCLAD, but make sure they are the BLUE labelled bottles only, the older white labelled bottles are terrible to use. I have also had a great deal of success with GUNZE Metal paints. These are easier to spray and deal with than ALCLAD and more readily available. Be careful though as they can scratch very easily after application.

Clear gloss coat: I now ALWAYS put down a gloss clear coat for laying decals onto, this means the decal slides better than on a matt surface.

Dull coat: I would only use the dull coat if you plan on weathering and applying pastels. The roughness of the surface gives some bite for the pastels to stick to. A gloss coat would then go down for a panel wash, this allows the wash to be wiped more easily over the surface of the a/c. After you apply the weathering and wash you can either respray with a gloss or dull coar, depending on the finish you want to get.

And like Glen said, apply different shades of silver to different panels. This makes it all look that little more authentic. ALCLAD is very good for this as they have every imaginable shade of silver or aluminium in their range. If you are having trouble finding ALCLAD, it is stocked by FRONTLINE Hobbies in Newcastle, or to my great benefit, Hobbyland in Hornsby (10mins down the road for me) also stock it. I am unsure if anyone else sells it in OZ, as the ALCLAD II site itself only states FRONTLINE as a seller.

Hope this helps.
On the Bench:
Eduard 1/48 La-7
Italeri 1/48 Mirage F-1C

Last completed:
Hasegawa 1/48 F4U-5N Corsair
Nav76
Devotee

Postby Creative Models Australia » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:51 am

White label - still have a few of these and use them with no probs.

Weathering - I always do this ona gloss coat, as oppossed to a matt coat like Kev, as he point out the matt coat does give good bite, but, makes it harder to remove. All of my washes, weathering with pigments, and muds etc always go on a gloss coat, then I give a final clear coat.

Frontline are the importer of Alclad.
Creative Models Australia
Devotee

Postby TiG » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:39 pm

Victorian Hobby Centre in Melbourne stock the full range of Alclad products also.
On the bench; 1:48 Kinetic F-16I Sufa
Coming up; 1:48 Hobbyboss MiG-17C Fresco
TiG
Devotee

Postby Calum » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:06 pm

B.T.M. wrote:Most of Korean conflict aircraft are natural metal finishes.I have read and seen pics that,
1. have black gloss undercoat. is it enamel or acrylic?

You only need black undercoat if you want a shiny finish. I've not had much luck with hi gloss finishes. But Alclad recommend a gloss enamel undercoat for their Hi shine finishes. Read here http://www.alclad2.com/

I've also tried Tamiya Acyclic Gloss Black. Next time I think I'll use Tamiya Gloss Black from the spray can. They are lacquers I prefer paiting with those.

B.T.M. wrote:2.best paint for the metal.what type

Tamiya AS12 decanted and sprayed through the airbrush. The gloss aluminium (TS-17 IIRC) is also good. AS12 is cheap, drys fast and very hard (you handle in about 5-10 mins).

Otherwise some of the Alclad are good but the high shine finishes I've found are delicate and can't be masked over.

Stay away from model master metalisers they are really delicate and don't like handling at all.

B.T.M. wrote:3. gloss clear coat for decals.

if you want a high shine finish, and use alclad you should be able to decal straight over it without problems. Otherwise I use Tamiya clear thinned with Mr Color thinners

B.T.M. wrote:4. dull clear coat to finish.

Not if you want a hi shine finish. A dull coat kinda defeats the purpose. If you want a dull finish however, as metal doesn't stay shiny for long, especially on aircraft then I use Testors dullcoate. IMHO it's the best flat coat out there

Here's the bottom of my lightning. Note it is not a bare metal finish but a silver lacquer.

I've used AS-12 as the base coat.

I've streaked and tinted with various shades of Alclad,

gloss coated with Tamiya clear

and flat coated with Testors dullcoate

I tried to get a chrome like finish on the lightning nose ring but failed using Gloss black enamel undercoat and then Aclad chrome

There is a lovely NFM F-84 over on HS today. it is brush painted as well. That is what a NMF should look like IMHO

http://www.hyperscale.com/2011/galleries/f84e32pc_1.htm
Calum
Devotee

Postby TonyP » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Alclad now have a gloss coat suitable for their paints. Aqua gloss clear. Have some but have not tried it.
Join us at Modelling the RAAF, RAN and AAAvn
https://www.facebook.com/groups/836070456430404/
TonyP
Devotee