Detail Wire Part 1.

Member's Area Hints and Tips Modelling
An area for members to pass on Hint's and Tips for other members.

Detail Wire Part 1.

Postby PeterRus » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:16 pm

In this Modelling Tip, I will endeavour to explain how I use various items of Detail Wire and where I buy them from.
There are many gauges of wire which can be bought from Craft shops like Riot or electronic shops such as Dick Smith or Jaycar. The items I have bought from Dick Smith, are not available now, as they have changed over to electrical products only. They no long stock computer components or parts.
The Detail Wire in the first photo
Detail Wire 1.jpg
Detail Wire 1.jpg (43.7 KiB) Viewed 1070 times
are mainly used for Brake Lines, Wiring in Cockpits and Wheel Bays. The reels of wire with the Red and White end caps can now be bought from Riot. The big Green reel I bought from Dick Smith, but I would try Jaycar or any computer parts supply shop.
Detail Wire 1.2
Detail Wire 1.2.jpg
Detail Wire 1.2.jpg (31.6 KiB) Viewed 1070 times
shows the Soft Solder Wire which use to be available from Dick Smith. Due to these sizes are beat suited to larger scale aircraft and autos. 18 gauge is 1mm thickness and 20 gauge is .8mm.
In Detail Wire 2.
Detail Wire 2.jpg
Detail Wire 2.jpg (58.12 KiB) Viewed 1070 times
The Picture Wire can be bought from any shop which sell this item, such as Big W or Bunnings. I use these items for tow cable on tanks. The Hobby Wire is a .5mm wire I use for anything. The best finest Lead Wire I have found and bought is from Buffies Best http://www.buffiesbest.com This wire is .009” thickness. It is very good for Wiring in Cockpits and Brake Lines on Undercarriage Legs in 1/72 scale. I got 4 packets in a DL envelope for $10.00.
[b]HEALTH WARNING.[b] Always wash your hands after handling Lead Wire. If you have to wipe you eyes, nose or mouth, do so with the back of you hand (index knuckle). Lead Poisoning is very real even at this time.
PeterRus
Beginner