My Favourite Tools. Part 2.

Member's Area Hints and Tips Modelling
An area for members to pass on Hint's and Tips for other members.

My Favourite Tools. Part 2.

Postby PeterRus » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:53 am

Pipettes. There are two types. Ones with a bellows on the end and the other ones have a bulb. The first ones are dearer than the bulb type, as you can buy the latter in large quantities. These shown here were bought at a craft shop called Riot. The trick in using Pipettes is to clean them out. Either when thinning you paint or rinse the out before you paint. To find the bulb type, just type Pipettes into your search engine (such as Goggle). You will then have to decide how cheap, for how many you want.
Pic - n – Stic. These are invaluable when placing small plastic, resin or PE parts in cockpits. There are other brands as well.
Pipettes & Pic-n-Stic.jpg
Pipettes & Pic-n-Stic.jpg (24.87 KiB) Viewed 1236 times

Painting. When I bought my Cordless Paint Mixer (Cocktail Mixer at Woollies),
My Favourite Tools 003.jpg
My Favourite Tools 003.jpg (29.59 KiB) Viewed 1236 times
I would be lost without it. I modified it by cutting the wire ring off the bottom, and bending the wire shaft about 3 mm to one side. When you put this into a small full tin of Humbrol paint, you don’t want it to go everywhere. Another item I like to use when painting, is a range of Filtered Funnels or Strainer Funnels.
Strainer Funnels.jpg
Strainer Funnels.jpg (36.8 KiB) Viewed 1236 times
There are different sizes for different bottles and paint cups. I use them on some old Humbrol enamel paints, as you cannot get the same mix these days in the newer tins. You can also get Chemical Strainers from a Scientific Wharehouse. They sell everything from MEK to Test Tubes. The Chemical Strainers I have are course, so as to let some pigments through, otherwise you will not get any colour. It is best to get a few grades, so as to find the right one which will let the pigments into the paint.

Hope you find these useful.

Peter Russell
PeterRus
Beginner

Re: My Favourite Tools. Part 2.

Postby wally » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:23 am

thankyou for taking the time to do this

wally
wally
Devotee