My Favourite Tools Part 1.

Member's Area Hints and Tips Modelling
An area for members to pass on Hint's and Tips for other members.

My Favourite Tools Part 1.

Postby PeterRus » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:35 am

First, I would like to say there is no kickback involved with my mentioning Mirco-Mark. They have a lot of tools that I find very useful. They also have tools which look cheap, and are cheap. You pay for what you get.
Surgical Hardware. Ultrafine Needle Point Pliers, I use because they grip right down to the point. Recently I have used them for what they were designed for, extracting small wood splinters out.
Sprue Cutters. I have an excellent cutter in the Xuron, but recently I bought the Tweezer – like Nippers. These take a bit of getting use to, as they cut very close. They are used on a sprue in which the parts are very close to the gate. They take a bit of getting use to, as you can cause stress (it turns white) to the part you want to cut off. I have found if I use them on every part first, you know its limitations. Of course if you cut plastic sheet you must have a P-Cutter.
Pliers, Cutter &  P-Cutter.jpg
Pliers, Cutter & P-Cutter.jpg (33.07 KiB) Viewed 1361 times

Stainless Steel Scissors. They are also known as Nurses Scissors. Nurses use to keep them in their top pocket with a watch. I use this pair ONLY for cutting decals out. Nothing else. I bought my first pair from a chemist. I have a second pair as backup in case I forget where I put them.
Tweezers. Illustrated are two types I prefer to use. One has serrated jaws. The other has plastic jaws. I use the former for comfort in the grip and the length of the bend, and the latter when parts are painted and you don’t want to touch up after.
Tweezers & Scissers.jpg
Tweezers & Scissers.jpg (31.35 KiB) Viewed 1361 times

Twist Drills. I prefer this type which are numbered from 66 -72. These are the common ones used for the likes of gun barrels. You can also buy them as a set for cleaning out the nozzle of welding gear, but I do not know whether they are the same sizes.
Twist Drill Holder. I use this type as it has a better balance, and is not to small for my hands.
Putty Applicator. This is my favourite. I have used it for as long as I have been making models. I cannot remember where I acquired it. I think a dentist.
Twist Drills & Holder & Putty Applicator.jpg
Twist Drills & Holder & Putty Applicator.jpg (33.94 KiB) Viewed 1361 times

Hope you find these useful.

Peter Russell
PeterRus
Beginner

Re: My Favourite Tools Part 1.

Postby wally » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:23 am

thankyou for taking the time to do this

wally
wally
Devotee